Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New episode of the podcast GEAR'D UP has been posted..Phil Hernon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New episode of the podcast GEAR'D UP has been posted..Phil Hernon!!!

This weeks episode of GEARD UP has been posted!!!! This weeks guest is 1995 USA champ Phil Hernon!! We talk....

-winning the USA and what it took
    -90's trends
    -work ethic of today's bodybuilder
    -contest prep
    -training every muscle every day?!?!?!?!

Also we talk about what can be done at national shows to separate the beauty from the muscle, we bring back ask Adam, and introduce a new segment called "Hardcore Q&A" brought to you by www.realworldmuscle.co

http://realworldmuscle.co/2013/11/26...9-phil-hernon/

Very nice. Been looking forward to this one. Phil's posts are a little scatterbrained and hard to follow sometimes, but the guy knows his stuff.
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

I don't follow the competitive bbing circuit anymore. I do enjoy the readings of a select few guys I trust...Dante, Skip, and lately Phil has really grabbed my attention. I listened to that interview and I was impressed. I love his out-of-the-box ideas about training every bodypart everyday. I used to be very closed minded. When I read about DC I was skeptical. Then I realized, holy smokes, I needed a paradigm shift. DC taught me that and I am now open to a variety of ideas about training. I don't "buy in" to all of them but I certainly do not discount them. I love his talk about not worrying about finger position on the bar etc...just lift fast and hard. BTW I am going to give the 1 set per bodypart, 5-6 times per week a try for 8 weeks. Why not???
      Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
        I don't follow the competitive bbing circuit anymore. I do enjoy the readings of a select few guys I trust...Dante, Skip, and lately Phil has really grabbed my attention. I listened to that interview and I was impressed. I love his out-of-the-box ideas about training every bodypart everyday. I used to be very closed minded. When I read about DC I was skeptical. Then I realized, holy smokes, I needed a paradigm shift. DC taught me that and I am now open to a variety of ideas about training. I don't "buy in" to all of them but I certainly do not discount them. I love his talk about not worrying about finger position on the bar etc...just lift fast and hard. BTW I am going to give the 1 set per bodypart, 5-6 times per week a try for 8 weeks. Why not???
        Let us know!!!!!

As I said I'm having skip on and I hope I can drag some specifics out of him!!! Lol

Comment

I have a good freind whom are a client of Phil's. Seems his results with the 5 times a week fullbody has been doing a good job to him Many things work, in my op, doing things differently all the time, and not getting the body used to a specific schedule, seems to be the magic behind different styles DC, Mountaindog ect. ect. Big fan of them all, and i think there is a place for all of the takes.

Comment

I actually listened to the entire show last night (well, early Thursday morning but last night for me) and thought it was very well done.

What I noticed is that Chris compliments your style because you are like me, we can fucking talk forever. He doesn't battle you on that and is kinda the reserved, chill guy that talks slow and you talk like a spaz, like I do. It isn't "bad" when I say that, just making the observation that you two work well together because if it were you and I no one would get a word in edgewise. lol

You touched on it, I believe, but the prep guy thing should be noted as much as possible. Every fucking person that has done a show no matter their placing is now a prep guy. I would BET that 50% of competitors are prepping SOMEONE and getting paid for it. It is absolutely out of fucking control. Yes, the bad ones get weeded out but it isn't fair to the people out there that have to sift through all the shit.

My only constructive critique would be to be careful of giving your opinions about things unrelated to the industry because people can love your show and love your take on things and then get pissed if you don't see something else that isn't even related to the industry, like they do. Example: The dog fighting. I could care less but I am telling you that I would bet someone, at some point thought, I like his show right up until he said that stupid shit about dogs. I fucking love dogs, how could he SAY that??" I am not telling you what to talk about or how to talk because you seem to talk with sincerety and I know first hand that people love that about other people. Just saying that you really have nothing to gain (much more to lose) when you opine about things outside of the sport.

I actually thought Phil would be boring and even though he was slower at times, I listened to the entire thing so I found him pretty entertaining. Other than the part about the peptides. He and I do not agree on peptides .... at all. lol And he owns a peptide company like you pointed out. Hmmm. ....

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              I actually listened to the entire show last night (well, early Thursday morning but last night for me) and thought it was very well done.

What I noticed is that Chris compliments your style because you are like me, we can fucking talk forever. He doesn't battle you on that and is kinda the reserved, chill guy that talks slow and you talk like a spaz, like I do. It isn't "bad" when I say that, just making the observation that you two work well together because if it were you and I no one would get a word in edgewise. lol

You touched on it, I believe, but the prep guy thing should be noted as much as possible. Every fucking person that has done a show no matter their placing is now a prep guy. I would BET that 50% of competitors are prepping SOMEONE and getting paid for it. It is absolutely out of fucking control. Yes, the bad ones get weeded out but it isn't fair to the people out there that have to sift through all the shit.

My only constructive critique would be to be careful of giving your opinions about things unrelated to the industry because people can love your show and love your take on things and then get pissed if you don't see something else that isn't even related to the industry, like they do. Example: The dog fighting. I could care less but I am telling you that I would bet someone, at some point thought, I like his show right up until he said that stupid shit about dogs. I fucking love dogs, how could he SAY that??" I am not telling you what to talk about or how to talk because you seem to talk with sincerety and I know first hand that people love that about other people. Just saying that you really have nothing to gain (much more to lose) when you opine about things outside of the sport.

I actually thought Phil would be boring and even though he was slower at times, I listened to the entire thing so I found him pretty entertaining. Other than the part about the peptides. He and I do not agree on peptides .... at all. lol And he owns a peptide company like you pointed out. Hmmm. ....

Skip
              Thanks Skip,

yes, Adam can talk for hours...Sometimes I have to tell him to shut the hell up...lol !!! But, your right, im there to just compliment him, and get in a few questions here and there, that he might have missed.

Anyway, thanks again....And from your interview I was quite and reserved cause I was just listing and learning the whole time...lol !!! Its not very often you can learn from a top coach like you and not have to pay for it....lol !!!

chris250
              1994 JR.FLORIDA TEEN OVERALL CHAMPION

1994 ST.LOUIS TEEN HEAVYWEIGHT AND OVERALL CHAMPIOIN...

1997 SOUTHERN USA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2006 CONTINENTAL USA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2006 MIDWEST IRONMAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2007 MIDWEST OPEN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2007 MR.IOWA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION & OVERALL

SPONSORED BODYBUILDER OF OPTIMUM NUTRITION AND AMERICAN BODYBUILDING PRODUCTS

Comment

Glad to see you here and I saw your journal posted, too. Very cool and I hope you make yourself at home!

Skip

Sent from Skip's Samsung Note 2

Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: @intensemuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I'm the first Hr in and so far have really enjoyed all the banter.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                    OK its been 8 weeks. The total body 1 set per body part thing didn't work out simply because it was not conducive to my schedule. I did it for 2 weeks and those workouts took well over an hour. It seemed that I spent the majority of the time was moving from one piece of equipment to another, loading the weights, getting warmed up etc. The actual work sets took up very little time, but getting situated seemed to take forever. I think this would work OK if you were going to use machines only (like a Nautilus line). But if you are going to mix in barbells and dumbbells, adjusting benches (incline/flat) etc. you will find the workouts are loooong, but the total work done...notsomuch.

HOWEVER, I did find a modified version (http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/advanced-...-per-week.html) I slightly modified and used for the past 6 weeks and I love it. It is a similar principle, high frequency, lower volume. Train 5-6 days per week. One day is Chest/Shoulder/Back. Other day is Legs/Arms. So essentially one day is torso, the other is limbs. So a typical workout might look like this:

TORSO
                    1. Parallel grip weighted pull ups 3 working sets. One heavy (8-10 reps), one mid-range (12ish), one with no weight (15-20).
                    2. Incline BB Press (same as above...one heavy, one mid range, one light)
                    3. Chest supported rows (same)
                    4. Standing Military Press (same)
                    5. one finisher for delts such as laterals or bent over laterals (this is my focus right now)

LIMBS
                    1. Standing Calf (heavy >>> mid >>> light)
                    2. Front Squats
                    3. Leg Curls
                    4. Skull crushers
                    5. Incline Hammer Curls
                    6. one finisher for forearms such as a wrist roller or wrist curls

The next time I come in I will change all the exercises. Example TORSO: Wide grip pulldowns, incline dumbbell press, kroc rows, seated db military, cable laterals. Example LIMBS: Seated calf, hack squat, Romanian dead lift, erect torso dips, barbell curls and a finisher.

Then the training cycle continues, mixing the exercises, and using a wide rep range from heavy (8-10 usually) to light (up to 25+ reps).

Workouts take 40-55 minutes depending on the movements. By not switching machines so much I spend more time actually training then I do preparing to train.

Anyway, I am going to stick with this progression and beat the heck out of it for a while. I like going to the gym 5-6 days per week and since the volume is pretty low per workout I have not had any recovery problems as of yet. Getting stronger on some lifts and I put on a few lbs. Nothing earth shattering or anything but at my age and with the number of years I have been training, I will take any gains I can as long as I am still enjoying going to the gym.
                    Last edited by Swaminator; 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM.
                    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Working...
                    X