are you guys tight as hell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you guys tight as hell?

seems like everything in my body is super tight. one of my shoulders tighter than the other (cant clasp hands with one over back and the other one under for one side), cant touch toes, cant bend forward (yoga forward bends, torso near floor while sitting with legs out in a V on the floor). hips and ankles not very mobile either.

would extreme stretching help this? i cant tell if this is muscle tightness or fascia buildup.

if anyone has conquered their tightness, id love to know how you overcame this.

You gotta do a combo of foam rolling/lacrosse ball/massage and stretching. Just stretching on its own will only get you so far.
    IG - smadayjr
    YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

Went to the chiro recently. My forearms flexors are superrrrrrr tight. I can't even properly extend my arm. He took this tool that looked like a knife and scraped my forearm flexors and brachioradialis with it to "relieve" the adhesions. The worst pain I have ever felt in a long time lol.

But I am tight everywhere, definitely looking forward to what people have to say, I need to do something..

Comment

I'm not sure if I am or not; ask TLopez how it was.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

no im not tight at least not for a 44 yr old guy thats been lifting for 30 years....i can put my palms on the floor.

Shoulders are tight but again not sure what i can do about that after lifting for 30 years and having numerous injuries....

stretch/foam roll/mobility before every workout, foam roll and rumble roller at home as well.
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Slightly offtopic, but I've noticed that there might be some kind of connection between being naturally flexible and potential muscle growth. I think if you're naturally flexible, you might have it bit easier to end up muscular. But this is all just guessing, what do you people think?
            I'm pretty sure that having good mobility and flexibility will probably help a bodybuilder or athlete a lot.
            The fight against my worst enemy
            " - So what is discipline? -Mike Tyson: Discipline is doing what you hate to do, but nonetheless doing it like you love it. - And how do you that?
            -Mike Tyson: [Smiles] With discipline.
            "

Comment

Originally posted by Thrashsatan View Post
              Slightly offtopic, but I've noticed that there might be some kind of connection between being naturally flexible and potential muscle growth. I think if you're naturally flexible, you might have it bit easier to end up muscular. But this is all just guessing, what do you people think?
              I'm pretty sure that having good mobility and flexibility will probably help a bodybuilder or athlete a lot.
              From a standpoint of being able to recruit more muscle fibres due to better ROM then yes and also having more control of a muscle then yes. However this assumes that the lifter is experienced with cadence/form/technique and knows how to set up their porgram for progress.

Flexible people arent genetically gifted, as anybody with some time and effort can become just as flexible and do the above (injuries pertaining). Most in-flexibility comes down to piss poor lifestyles and then shitty programming (not warming up or dow , not correct technique and form/not using or feeling correct muscles working, ie using other muscles to do the job, further inhibiting the flexibilty and ROM at that joint and /or muscle and not training aganosits correcly ; smashing chest but paying little attention to the traps/rhomboids/rear delts/lats = kyphosis = all sorts of shit)

Foam rolling/trigger point lacrosse balls/ sticks/ stretching etc can all help immensly, but to apply the pressure and correct technique to do so, you should go to chiro or physios...they dont give a shit if it hurts you, they just fix yoi...can you put youself in that sort of pain alone!?

Comment

Yes my back hates me lol despite met techniques keeping my sacrum in line and prone therapy exercises...
                I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
                  Went to the chiro recently. My forearms flexors are superrrrrrr tight. I can't even properly extend my arm. He took this tool that looked like a knife and scraped my forearm flexors and brachioradialis with it to "relieve" the adhesions. The worst pain I have ever felt in a long time lol.

But I am tight everywhere, definitely looking forward to what people have to say, I need to do something..
                  I had that(graston/SASTM) done to my pec/pec tie ins.. Fucking aweful. Looked like I was kicked by a horse, aftwards.

Comment

Thats whats its called! Lol! Yes it with horrible, I almost punched the guy haha. My arm was RED as hell and he said it was blood going into the muscle lol. I had that done like 4 days ago and my brachioradialis is sore as hell from him haha. Im not sure if it even helped lol.

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                    I had that(graston/SASTM) done to my pec/pec tie ins.. Fucking aweful. Looked like I was kicked by a horse, aftwards.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                      Flexible people arent genetically gifted, as anybody with some time and effort can become just as flexible and do the above (injuries pertaining). Most in-flexibility comes down to piss poor lifestyles...
                      This. Sure, I am by no means the most flexible person compared to the smaller-framed, thin women in my yoga class, but I get things done and have gone from having pain/restriction doing ATG BW squats to doing just fine with weight on my back.

I do yoga once a week (or try to) and I get treated by osteopathic medical students on campus when I need it. Admittedly I am crappy when it comes to stretching on lift days.
                      #docswholift
                      PGY-1 FM
                      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        I'm not sure if I am or not; ask TLopez how it was.
                        Cat's out of the bag!

2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

quads sore for a week from foam rolling. hmm

Comment

I didn't notice anyone comment on the question of if extreme stretches would help for this (though I may have missed it). I would think that if you have very poor flexibility that starting with "normal" stretching (and foam rolling, etc, as others recommended) would be safer than trying any extreme/weighted techniques. After you reach a level of average flexibility, then I would add in the extreme stretches. I guess the bottom line is whatever you can handle safely, knowing how to gauge healthy limits with it. It IS possible to hurt yourself stretching...I know, I'm talented like that.
                            2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                            2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                            2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                            2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                            2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
                              Thats whats its called! Lol! Yes it with horrible, I almost punched the guy haha. My arm was RED as hell and he said it was blood going into the muscle lol. I had that done like 4 days ago and my brachioradialis is sore as hell from him haha. Im not sure if it even helped lol.
                              Graston looks and sounds brutal. If you don't feel like it helped then I am sticking to ART for the long haul. lol
                              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X