offseason conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offseason conditioning

What should be the goal to maintain for offseason condition? I am a former fatty so i worry about getting too fat but i don't want to hinder my gains either. Do you think its even necessary to add fat to make the most of the offseason? I haven't decided if i am going to compete next year or not because we are expecting a new addition to the family in May and i don't want to do a show close to the due date and i'm not sure if i will be up for prep while sleep deprived with a new born. I don't want to get out of shape though and have to prep for 6 months because i got out of control. What are good signs to look for to know its time to back off the cals or add in some cardio? Anyone had any luck with adding in mini cuts during the bulk?

Here is the only recent pic i have. Sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea. Abs are getting pretty blurry so is it time to back off the cals some and add in some cardio?
    Attached Files
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Great question I am wondering the same thing right now. I am right now working on eating as much as possible without adding fat. Trying to up the metabolism. I had 6 months at 2k to 2500 at 210 7% bf

Comment

To me, if you can still see abs outline and quad separation, you are OK. I see that in your pic.

It depends on the person though - bodyfat "set point", how easy it is to lose the fat, whether or not the metabolism is sluggish.

I never tried a mini-cut, or at least never looked at it in such a way. The most I would do is clean up the diet a bit, possibly reduce carb or fat portions if getting really out of hand. In my experience, getting too sloppy more often comes from allowing "extras" here and there on a regular basis than from the base diet being too much...though the latter IS possible.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Many threads exist on a similar topic... "Dirty bulks", "Clean bulks", "Cutters", etc... the bottom line is what is your comfort level and what are your goals? If you think there is a possibility of competing next year then you might want to stay within 20 pounds of your stage weight, if not, then you can loosen up and try to add a little more mass, and yes that will come most likely with a little more body fat as you pound away the calories and extra protein. Due to the fact that there are SO many variables and everyone is different in how they add body fat and mass, metabolism, natty or not, bone structure and how you carry extra weight, insulin sensitivity, etc... there is no wrong or right answer... it is only what is YOUR answer and YOUR comfort level, and YOUR goals. I personally need to add a little more body fat during my offseason to get the weight to go up and add any noticeable difference to my stage weight, but that is not to say it is the correct way or the ONLY way, it is just what works for me, and what I am comfortable with. All of that babbling aside, I like where you are at now (with ab outlines and some separation in the quads as Phoenix stated), and you could probably still get a "little smoother" before I would back it down...
        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am still a newbie when it comes to this as I have only done one show. I guess I will have to experiment with different ways and see what works for me.
          6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
          1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Or take the guess work out and hire Skip . Highly recommend it especially with all that you said is going on!

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
            Thanks for the replies. I am still a newbie when it comes to this as I have only done one show. I guess I will have to experiment with different ways and see what works for me.

Comment

Working...
            X