World of Training-Things you hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Training-Things you hate

As per the title, what are some of the things you read each day/week that make you want to jump from a bridge?

Serious question, thought it could get a discussion going.

Please try to avoid one liners and expand a little on why you dislike something.

Just watched a documentary called: Jodie on... steroids.

Former UK glamour model turned 'bodybuilder', goes talking to people on gear.

This is from an interview about said documentary:

"It’s basically a sex hormone. A man taking steroids will start to turn into a woman and a woman will start to turn into a man. And you can die; many people have died from heart attacks at a very young age – 28 or 30 years old. As you see in the film, there are people whose heart or brain has exploded, or their lungs have filled with water. The conclusion is steroids are really bad for you."

Oh lawd. Enough said.

My gripe is this; Ignorant people get a further warped image of people that train and the wheel keeps on turning, rather than turn people to the sport (sorry Skip, pageant ) it turns them away.

Thinks like this also give out really bad advice on training/diet, taking people down the wrong roads.

Of course, it is up to people to educate themselves, but why is it, in the 21st century, that only in the world of BB, are incorrect/dogma message still given to the wider public? It would be much more beneficial to shoot a documentary on how to train and what not to do..then again that wouldnt make great TV..

Comment

As Skip so excellently wrote for Elite: There is so much in fighting between Powerlifting/Strongman/Bodybuilding, tearing each other down. It is phenominal how insecure some of the people are in each sport.

There is a chap in the UK who is prominent in the Masters. Goes around telling anyone who listens that Powerlifters are all fat (really, still this horsesht). Also telling people to 'pump the muscles', do light work with 1.5 reps for more time under tension (physique aint improved much in the last 2 years)..Also wrote in an article that Squats and deadlifts make you fat and give you immense large guts and butts.

There is a powerlifter and a strongman in my gym, who go around telling people how sht programming/periodization is and bodybuilders are weak. Then again all I ever see on there FB pages is how they broke a gym PR today and all week, yet come competition day, they bottom out and come nowhere.

I guess it is ignorance in this world we choose to participate in. That is what gripes me.
      I constantly spend my free time, reading new material that can be backed up with books or under the bar time. I then go out and try it and see what works and what doesn't, this society though, wants to be spoon fed.

Comment

don't really hate anything, but seeing those youtube vids and pictures of people abusing synthol makes me go x_x

another thing in the past that was annoyin was trying to help people on form WITHOUT their asking. then they tell you they know what they r doing as they front squat with their ass way out and torso bent forward with 95lbs. never again.

aside from that i let people do their thing and understand everyone has different goals. saves me headaches

Comment

SKIPLOAD FARTS!!!! That gripes me... I love the concept/effectiveness of skiploading hate the gas

Kipping pull-ups :-)
          Gyms that don't allow chalk
          People who look down on people for what they do in the gym and make a fucking spectacle
          I've seen self proclaimed "hard asses" poke fun amongst theirselves about how certain people train... Like jus somebody trying to get healty or some young guy struggling under a wieght that may not be earth shattering... They forget that at one time even for them it was a bitch to take 135 in the buckett and come back up or something??? And for some people a light machine circuit 3 times a week is a step in the right direction... Maybe they aren't threatening to take Phil heaths title but it's not the x box and it's the right place to get on track...
          Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-16-2013, 10:14 PM.
          I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
          I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Whoops I don't guess those were things I've read... :-( wasn't trying to steer your thread off topic Martin h
            Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-17-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

No man..thats the type of things I mean.

Every gym has those hardcore badass trainers. I must admit, back in my late teens I was one of those assholes, judging people, but who am I to judge anybody else, unless you effect me or ask for my help, I don't even bat an eyelid. Personal trainers are the worst for this, walk out with a piece of paper from a 6 week course and they think they know everything there is and then judge everybody around them: "lol at the fat guy walking on the treadmil, he should be doing HIIT", they haven't the faintest idea on how to set yp a program and how to progress on it.
              Sadly the general public don't know anything about training and just think Ab blasts and circuits , coupled with a really bad calorie defeceit diet is magic and put these trainers of pedalstalls of God status and the wheel keeps on turning.
              I accwpt we are make mistakes and fail and that is what builds chracter and strength, but I swear one of these days, a Personal trainer will hurt someone or ny on kill them (rhabo).

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post

Every gym has those hardcore badass trainers. I must admit, back in my late teens I was one of those assholes, judging people, but who am I to judge anybody else, unless you effect me or ask for my help, I don't even bat an eyelid. Personal trainers are the worst for this, walk out with a piece of paper from a 6 week course and they think they know everything there is and then judge everybody around them: "lol at the fat guy walking on the treadmil, he should be doing HIIT", they haven't the faintest idea on how to set yp a program and how to progress on it.
                Sadly the general public don't know anything about training and just think Ab blasts and circuits , coupled with a really bad calorie defeceit diet is magic and put these trainers of pedalstalls of God status and the wheel keeps on turning.
                I accwpt we are make mistakes and fail and that is what builds chracter and strength, but I swear one of these days, a Personal trainer will hurt someone or ny on kill them (rhabo).
                dang i am quite glad i havent met any people like this. very sad

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post

hell yes some personal trainers go PSYCHO I had a coworker who barely could walk after her FIRST wieght training session ever which was 30 fucking sets!!!! No that's not an exaggeration because I asked her... She has a very good concept of sets and reps as she is a therapist... Actually asked me his many sets do I do for legs which at the time was 1 for calves 1 for hams 2 for quads... She was like why did he have me do 30!!!! I didn't have an answer..... Sigh

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                    dang i am quite glad i havent met any people like this. very sad
                    They are the guys with no legs and huge upper body's who laugh at you while you do your lat stretches and akward leaning rows and rack chins and shit til you gain 23 pounds and start rack pulling 545 for reps then they want to know...

What your on?
                    Or they read your shirt and want to know what DC is?

Damn I guess that makes me sound like one of them??? lol but if you pick on the picker oner does that really make you that bad? Idk
                    Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-17-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

"I hate this gym too many people."

"I hate this gym not enough hot chicks or serious guys."

"I hate this gym the benches are always taken up."

"I hate this gym people don't rack their weights."

If you fucking hate it so much why are you still here after 5 years?
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I hate it when there are people on the machines I want to use.

Ugh, disgusting.
                        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                        kind of a douche

Comment

not a hate but the insular nature of bodybuilding vs powerlifting vs olympic lifting vs strongman.....like its completely different universes. more life different state same country....love the 1940's-1960 period of weight-training most if not all of the top guys were strong as hell, looked awesome and could be pretty damn funtional (hand-stands, gymnastics etc)

guys like Reg Park, Clancy Ross, George Eifferman and my fav Marvin Eder were competitive powerlifters, bodybuilders and could do the olympic lifts as well. Even Arnold and Sergio had powerlfiting oly lifitng careers....

point is we are all more similiar than we are different and could all benefit from some cross-training
                          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                          17 AAU Super Total
                          '16-AAU Hi
                          '15-USPA Metro
                          '15-USPA State
                          '15-AAU HI
                          '14-AAU HI
                          '14-USPA Metro
                          '14-WABDL Sonny's
                          '14-USPA State
                          '14-HI Strongman
                          '13-USPA
                          '13-WABDL Sonny's
                          '13-USPA State
                          '13-AAU HI
                          '11-USPA Metro
                          '10-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-NPC Islands
                          '09-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA IronWorks
                          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                          '01-ABA Olympia
                          '01-ABA Islands
                          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                          '00-INBF Musclefest
                          '98-NGA Ill
                          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                            not a hate but the insular nature of bodybuilding vs powerlifting vs olympic lifting vs strongman.....like its completely different universes. more life different state same country....love the 1940's-1960 period of weight-training most if not all of the top guys were strong as hell, looked awesome and could be pretty damn funtional (hand-stands, gymnastics etc)

guys like Reg Park, Clancy Ross, George Eifferman and my fav Marvin Eder were competitive powerlifters, bodybuilders and could do the olympic lifts as well. Even Arnold and Sergio had powerlfiting oly lifitng careers....

point is we are all more similiar than we are different and could all benefit from some cross-training
                            Completely agree with all of this.

Whenever I read or rear someone write or talk something to spark the bbing vs pling vs oly lifting rivalry, I think of Franco Columbu and how he held records in bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman. I think this whole thing is just childish, a real "my sport is better than yours!" thing.
                            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                              Completely agree with all of this.

Whenever I read or rear someone write or talk something to spark the bbing vs pling vs oly lifting rivalry, I think of Franco Columbu and how he held records in bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman. I think this whole thing is just childish, a real "my sport is better than yours!" thing.
                              On a similar note, I'm pretty tired of the elitist attitudes that many (not all) Cross-fitters have. Especially when those people have been doing Crossfit for a month, and are now experts in all aspects of fitness and nutrition.
                              Save 5% at TRUEPROTEIN with discount code "MPP883"

Comment

Working...
                              X