Advice on Squats After ACL Surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Squats After ACL Surgeries

I've had 2 ACL surgeries and my knee has never really been right. I can still slide my knee forward when sitting, so obviously with an actual load on my back that can be really problematic. I have tried squatting with my ACL brace but really I can't attain a decent level of depth, and my balance gets thrown off at the bottom of my squat from it.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to let me squat more naturally, and to do so safely? I know there are a number of BBers and PLers who have dealt with knee injuries, but I just can't figure out what to do to keep squatting. If I squat without even using wraps my knee is stiff and swollen for 3-4 days too.

I am not throwing around a lot of weight either, I generally stay in the 8-12 rep range for my heavy set. Any advice on rep ranges, types of wraps that have helped any of you, or any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys.
    TEAM SKIP CLIENT

"Everyone's got a plan until you punch them in the face."
    -Mike Tyson

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might."
    -Ephesians 6:10

“Real men of strength speak not of their strength by words but by their actions. A true man of strength is never complacent with what or who he is. This goes for the gym and beyond."

I'm only really getting back into squatting properly 2 years after my ACL reconstruction. The biggest issue I have (and most people do) is regaining the muscle wastage and then the stability around your knee. I did my ACL during BJJ, but I have been back full force at BJJ for quite a while. Leg strength is still off though.

If your knee is stiff and swollen for days afterwards that's your body telling you something. I'd be seeing a sports doctor or a physio. They can best assess where your knee is at, as your injury is different to mine or anyone else's.

I'm getting back into it with significantly lighter weights, but I'm being super careful as I'm not getting any younger. The weight will come back on, but I'm going slowly, with best technique I can but also ensuring that I do associated mobility and stability work on my knees. No one wants to be barely able to walk at 50 because of a rash decision at 30
    Troponin Athlete
    "My methods arent for the weekend quarterback and they sure arent for the beginning lifter, they never have and never will be. This is for hardcore bodybuilders ONLY, lets get that straight right here and now" - the Kayser Soze of bodybuilding
    My wife holds bands tied around the head board...then I pull on her hips. It still doesn't work well but I like the view - Future 6 October 2008

Comment

Have a look at www.mobilitywod.com

I've been raving about them lately. I have no commercial interest in it, just a massive fan
      Troponin Athlete
      "My methods arent for the weekend quarterback and they sure arent for the beginning lifter, they never have and never will be. This is for hardcore bodybuilders ONLY, lets get that straight right here and now" - the Kayser Soze of bodybuilding
      My wife holds bands tied around the head board...then I pull on her hips. It still doesn't work well but I like the view - Future 6 October 2008

Comment

When you say you can slide your knee forward in sitting - do you mean it is still unstable after the repair?
        How long ago was the last surgery?

Tight five is on the right track - if it is swelling for several days after squats something is definitely not right, and pushing through it is a good way to end up with a knee replacement at 50.

You may need to just pick different exercises and forget about squats, sorry to say.

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Comment

Were any of you guys put through any form of pre-hab exercise regime before surgery?
          NSCA CSCS
          BSc(Ed) Physical Education & Sport Science

Comment

Hmmm... Too bad JohnCaeser isn't hanging around here anymore. His knee basically disintegrated, had it repaired, and now squats way more than ever before.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

No pre-hab here
              2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
              2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
              2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
              2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
              2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Couldn't agree with Phoenix more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Troponin Athlete

Comment

I tore my left ACL in May of this year. Went through prehab up until my surgery on July 2. Took it really easy and did everything PT said and nothing more for 3 months. I just last week started to deadlift and squat again. I pulled 405 off the floor and squatted 275 for 3 last week. knee is stable as it ever was. Getting my left leg to fire and do work is the hard part right now.

I guess what I'm saying is if you knee is still unstable then the graft either didn't take or was loose to begin with. Did you do patella tendon, hamstring, or cadaver? And if instability is the problem you are probably NOT going to be able to squat correctly. Sounds like you need to go see your orthopod again.
                  Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    I guess what I'm saying is if you knee is still unstable then the graft either didn't take or was loose to begin with. Did you do patella tendon, hamstring, or cadaver? And if instability is the problem you are probably NOT going to be able to squat correctly. Sounds like you need to go see your orthopod again.
                    That is very good advice, which precedes my suggestions.
                    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Working...
                    X