elbow and wrist pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elbow and wrist pain

how do oyu guys usually strengthen elbow and wrists? mine are hurting, probably ligament pulls? what are good ways to rehab it?

today when my tricep/elbow started straining i could no longer push, so i just did machine tricep extensions with low weight for 100 reps, trying to get blood flow in. not sure what effective ways there are for treatment

i injured the wrist i believe during DB Rows with my grip slipping and wanting to do more, so i kept rowing with just a fe fingers carrying the brunt of the weight (thumb and first 2 prob) and other stuff after that. couldnt press the next day, believe the yanking on the heavy weight sprained some ligaments.
    Last edited by greensoup; 11-29-2013, 06:22 PM.

Like you, i have also been the lucky winner of tendonitis returning again and again. After running against the wall several times, i implemented a lot of injurie prevention in my training, and i haven't felt anything in my wrists / elbows / forams since.

For that particular area, i would take a bar for pull-downs holding it with one hand aprrox 10 cm from the center starting in a 180 degree angle. Twist my arm until you reach the opposit 180 degrees angle. Nice and smoothe movements and just keep going until the form gets bad. Tuck your elbows in. For more resistance, take a wider grip.

Bests.
    Last edited by fluffyman; 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffyman View Post
      Like you, i have also been the lucky winner of tendonitis returning again and again. After running against the wall several times, i implemented a lot of injurie prevention in my training, and i haven't felt anything in my wrists / elbows / forams since.

For that particular area, i would take a bar for pull-downs holding it with one hand aprrox 10 cm from the center starting in a 180 degree angle. Twist my arm until you reach the opposit 180 degrees angle. Nice and smoothe movements and just keep going until the form gets bad. Tuck your elbows in. For more resistance, take a wider grip.

Bests.
      thank you fluffy, will try tomorrow. is this for wrist or elbow? also, hold with one hand only? and 180--like a normal pulldown angle or make the bar vertical...wtf! or toruque the waist so im facing sideways?

wrist pain was not there at yoga today, but squatting heavy after made the pain return. elbow pain i do not want to test, as that comes with heavy pushes

please share more of your injury prevention, for i am relatively younger and don't want to add more problems to my resume.

Comment

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sMk...e_gdata_player

Be extra careful. It may make the forearm better and the wrist worse.
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Ice and anti inflammatory meds initially with gentle strengthening and avoiding aggravating factors(heavy exercises that cause trauma) Rubs during day if can't ice, also dumbbell (light full range controlled pronation supination for wrist as well as ext and flex for wrist) higher reps ...for tricep type tendonitis the therapist at our clinical setting first prescribes resting from the aggravating culprits while using anti inflammatory med and icing... Also support can help... Maybe for a while after you get the acute trauma under control you go wrapping for presses and focus on cable moves with ropes to find a comfortable position for tris... Possibly avoid lockout... But typically the initial inflammation must be controlled before aggressive stretching and strengthening is employed from a therapeutic standpoint...

To strengthen wrist can be done with these exercise if it's tendonitis it's going to need some rest most likely before you'll improve on pain

Far as support inzer has great sleeves and wraps

I've had some tendon issues in my triceps and had to stop certain exercises for a while
          Maybe some light push downs possibly with a band several times a weak to get some blood flow and gentle massage initially progressing to deeper massage later (as pain decreases) with some regular controlled stretching

But I would stress avoiding anything that causes worsening In your pain for a while before going full bore again...

Maybe lighter wt higher reps with bells (able to find positions that don't stress as much maybe not locking out again)
          Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM.
          I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
          I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sMk...e_gdata_player

Be extra careful. It may make the forearm better and the wrist worse.

Exactly LG1 !

Comment

i got some wraps ordered online for my wrist, could i still work out with decent intensity or sohuld i just lay off?

i injured the wrist i believe during DB Rows with my grip slipping and wanting to do more, so i kept rowing with just a fe fingers carrying the brunt of the weight (thumb and first 2 prob) and other stuff after that. couldnt press the next day, believe the yanking on the heavy weight sprained some ligaments.

and thanks everyone, good video! reading some of DC's older posts made me nuts trying to figure out angles and stuff.

Comment

I def agree that heat is a good thing.... But after the initial trauma ice has given me good results first 2-3 days... Then heat is awsome so I jus wanted to clear that up... We always tell out patients that if heat or if Ice works better (with the exemption of first 48-72 hrs) to go with what gives you best results... I'd honestly (if it were me) lay off the presses and heavy stuff bro... If could set you back longer pushing it to early... Even with wrist straps... They may make it feel ok but it could be a bandaid of sorts... The worst thing to do is to push too much too fast... Secondly I don't know and can't feel the exact level of pain that you are feeling... I would strongly advise if the pain is extreme and doesn't lessen with resting Icing or heat along with other remedies then you may want to persue a medical examination... I hate to be a buzzkill bro but would feel wrong not advising you to seek some medical advice if your condition doesn't improve
                Bear in mind it real hard for someone to say this or that without an exam...

Regaurdless is say it be the best to lay off heavy work for a week, use the remedies provided then test it out LIGHTLY then go from there... Tendonitis if that's what it is can respond very enthusiastically to conservative treatment

Ligaments/tendon injury require a totally diffrent approach...

Not trying to scare you brother... Jus be cautious til you get whatever course of action that's appropriate figured out
                Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-09-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

yep the elbow thing seems to have gone away, cant tell tho since i havent pressed since. the wrist thing is still there, came back on squats and good mornings etc. going to rest a week and spam some glucosamine chondroitin and cissus >

Comment

Safe is the way to roll bro!!

Live to lift another day

I ended up having to take a 6 mo period off after bonking my shoulder
                    (Horrible rotator cuff tendonitis... Bass fishing is actually brutal... Combined with DC) but man it's great now!!! It's all about longjevity...

Comment

I live and die by my neoprene sleeves and wrist wraps now that I'm old and decrepit. They really do help in terms of warmth and comfort. I started doing quads today without my knee sleeves and everything hurt. Then I put on my knee sleeves and it was like kittens were purring on my tendons.
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        I live and die by my neoprene sleeves and wrist wraps now that I'm old and decrepit. They really do help in terms of warmth and comfort. I started doing quads today without my knee sleeves and everything hurt. Then I put on my knee sleeves and it was like kittens were purring on my tendons.
                        Bump for that dccp find your kittens

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          Amen"
                          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

wrist still not back to normal. doing the finger stretch (pulling them towards you with palm facing away) shows some pain. the rolls of fat on my wrist in this stretch is also different from my other wrist.

added in some pressing with wrist wrap a week ago. not too much. cant stand it anymore

not sure if i should deadlift

is this normal to take this long to heal? train with wrap or rest more? going crazy >

Comment

Seek medical advice... Could be some carpal tunnel shit (since you described pulling fingers back is provacative)

Comment

Working...
                              X