X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agi
    replied
    Originally posted by moco View Post
    The diagnosis that they've given me is cubital tunnel syndrome - entrapment/compression of the Ulnar Nerve at the elbow. I've had symptoms for at least a few years but finally decided to get it checked out.

Symptoms include frequent numbness and tingling sensation in the ring and little finger as well as the palm on that side of the hand. I experience dull pain in that area sometimes as well. Symptoms are made worse when the elbow is kept in a bent position for too long or from prolonged pressure (e.g. leaning on armrest). I wake up several times per night, every night, to find that I've completely lost sensation in those fingers.

The reason I finally went to get it checked out is that I started experiencing pretty intense pain in the elbow during tricep movements which I thought may have been tendonitis of the tricep - however after an MRI, EMG, and nerve conduction testing the doctor thinks that the pain is also related to compression of the nerve as there was no apparent tendonitis from looking at the MRI. I've adjusted my tricep work - going much lighter but with more intent on exercises that put more shearing force on the elbow. Other things like dips and close-grip bench have felt OK when going heavy though.

The good news is that I don't yet have any significant weakness or atrophy - but since I've been experiencing these symptoms for several years with no improvement (in fact it's gotten worse) it's likely that this is not going to go away on its own. And as it progresses weakness, atrophy, and eventual loss of muscle function in the forearm and hand is possible.
    I was also had cubital tunnel syndrome. I would completely lose all sensation in my hand to the point where I couldn't tell whether it was hold or cold water. I used to lean on my elbows a lot. The worst position was on top of my car door when the window was open. Once I knew what the problem was, I took steps to avoid those positions. One of the hardest habits to break was sleeping. I now sleep with my arms straight down my sides. If I put them on my chest, I start having problems again. That really helped.

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    Ok, yours is on the INSIDE of the forearm and hers is on the top near the brachialis. Two different nerves but same problem.

Skip

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    This sounds exactly the same as my wife but a different nerve. Now I have to make sure that we have the right nerve. *sigh*

Skip

Leave a comment:

• moco
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
    Curious your symptoms because Sissy is dealing with a bad case of what we think is radial tunnel syndrome.

Skip

Sent from Skip's Samsung Note 2
    The diagnosis that they've given me is cubital tunnel syndrome - entrapment/compression of the Ulnar Nerve at the elbow. I've had symptoms for at least a few years but finally decided to get it checked out.

Symptoms include frequent numbness and tingling sensation in the ring and little finger as well as the palm on that side of the hand. I experience dull pain in that area sometimes as well. Symptoms are made worse when the elbow is kept in a bent position for too long or from prolonged pressure (e.g. leaning on armrest). I wake up several times per night, every night, to find that I've completely lost sensation in those fingers.

The reason I finally went to get it checked out is that I started experiencing pretty intense pain in the elbow during tricep movements which I thought may have been tendonitis of the tricep - however after an MRI, EMG, and nerve conduction testing the doctor thinks that the pain is also related to compression of the nerve as there was no apparent tendonitis from looking at the MRI. I've adjusted my tricep work - going much lighter but with more intent on exercises that put more shearing force on the elbow. Other things like dips and close-grip bench have felt OK when going heavy though.

The good news is that I don't yet have any significant weakness or atrophy - but since I've been experiencing these symptoms for several years with no improvement (in fact it's gotten worse) it's likely that this is not going to go away on its own. And as it progresses weakness, atrophy, and eventual loss of muscle function in the forearm and hand is possible.

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    Curious your symptoms because Sissy is dealing with a bad case of what we think is radial tunnel syndrome.

Skip

Sent from Skip's Samsung Note 2

Leave a comment:

• moco
    started a topic Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery

Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery

Has anybody had this procedure? Got the news today that I'll need to have this done, recommended sooner rather than later. Not incredibly urgent, but within the next year.

What was your experience? How was recovery?
Working...
X