Environmental Factors Affect on Physiology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environmental Factors Affect on Physiology

Rachel and I were discussing this tonight - wondering if environmental factors, specifically climate/temperature, have an affect on body composition... that is, the way in which the body stores/uses energy.

One thought is that in colder climates the body may have adapted by storing more energy as fat to get through the winter months when resources were historically scarce and additional insulation from the temperature was necessary - and vice versa for those living in warmer climates (i.e. the body doesn't have a need to store fat for later use). Although, the opposite may be true in that energy usage results in heat as a byproduct, so this would not be desirable in warmer climates. Perhaps it depends on our ancestry? Or is it strictly based on activity level and diet?

Thought I'd open it up for discussion.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

I am sure that it does but to what degree, I don't know for sure. I say it is minimal. I think that at least in the US we tend to move around a lot and every generation doesn't live in the same place like we used to or like people do in poorer countries. Example: While in Jamaica my wife and I noticed that they bury their dead in their yards. That implies that generations have lived in that same area so something like THAT could technically be correct as far as climate impacting metabolism but here is one for you:

I would also wonder if the warmer the climate, the more people are active and outdoors so they would be leaner. Now, in THIS country I don't see it because some of the poorer countries down south are clearly warmer countries but go to poorer countries and I think it changes. While in Jamaica I went almost an hour from the airport to the resort in a van doing about 35 miles an hour through small town after small town and saw tons of people and I also went to Kinsgston, the capital, and it was jammed with people. One thing I noticed was that there weren't many fat people. NO WHERE near what I see in the fatass US.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I am sure that it does but to what degree, I don't know for sure. I say it is minimal. I think that at least in the US we tend to move around a lot and every generation doesn't live in the same place like we used to or like people do in poorer countries. Example: While in Jamaica my wife and I noticed that they bury their dead in their yards. That implies that generations have lived in that same area so something like THAT could technically be correct as far as climate impacting metabolism but here is one for you:

I would also wonder if the warmer the climate, the more people are active and outdoors so they would be leaner. Now, in THIS country I don't see it because some of the poorer countries down south are clearly warmer countries but go to poorer countries and I think it changes. While in Jamaica I went almost an hour from the airport to the resort in a van doing about 35 miles an hour through small town after small town and saw tons of people and I also went to Kinsgston, the capital, and it was jammed with people. One thing I noticed was that there weren't many fat people. NO WHERE near what I see in the fatass US.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Absolutely, socioeconomic factors as well as culture certainly play a role in activity levels and diet. And that would make it a little more difficult to determine how big a factor temperature has on metabolism.

Just searched around a bit, and did find a study that found a correlation between basal metabolism of indigenous groups and mean environmental temperature.

"The most striking feature emerging from the study is the importance of the relationship of basal metabolism of indigenous groups to mean environmental temperature, an association hitherto neglected in the establishment of so-called 'normal' values and contrary to the axiom that the total basal heat production of the body is determined by its surface area. The temperature relationship is clear when total basal heat production and heat production per unit of surface area are considered, somewhat less so though still significant when heat production is expressed per unit weight ; it remains of major importance after allowance has been made for the influences of weight and stature. The three factors, temperature, weight, and stature, together account for the greater part of the total variability in mean basal metabolism."

The postscript also mentions that this report - http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=8nrySQAACAAJ - later confirmed some of these findings. Disclaimer: I did not read this report
        Last edited by moco; 10-26-2013, 04:40 PM.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
          Absolutely, socioeconomic factors as well as culture certainly play a role in activity levels and diet. And that would make it a little more difficult to determine how big a factor temperature has on metabolism.

Just searched around a bit, and did find a study that found a correlation between basal metabolism of indigenous groups and mean environmental temperature.

"The most striking feature emerging from the study is the importance of the relationship of basal metabolism of indigenous groups to mean environmental temperature, an association hitherto neglected in the establishment of so-called 'normal' values and contrary to the axiom that the total basal heat production of the body is determined by its surface area. The temperature relationship is clear when total basal heat production and heat production per unit of surface area are considered, somewhat less so though still significant when heat production is expressed per unit weight ; it remains of major importance after allowance has been made for the influences of weight and stature. The three factors, temperature, weight, and stature, together account for the greater part of the total variability in mean basal metabolism."

The postscript also mentions that this report - http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=8nrySQAACAAJ - later confirmed some of these findings. Disclaimer: I did not read this report
          I think you might have pasted in the wrong link above (1st link)... unless we're talking lizards here.

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
            Rachel and I were discussing this tonight - wondering if environmental factors, specifically climate/temperature, have an affect on body composition... that is, the way in which the body stores/uses energy.

One thought is that in colder climates the body may have adapted by storing more energy as fat to get through the winter months when resources were historically scarce and additional insulation from the temperature was necessary - and vice versa for those living in warmer climates (i.e. the body doesn't have a need to store fat for later use). Although, the opposite may be true in that energy usage results in heat as a byproduct, so this would not be desirable in warmer climates. Perhaps it depends on our ancestry? Or is it strictly based on activity level and diet?

Thought I'd open it up for discussion.
            I live in Florida where it is mostly warm year round with the exceptions of a few months. The amount of morbidly obese people I see.on a daily basis is astonishing, you would think the warm weather and the beach would motivate people aside from health. I have one in my office who takes jabs at me.when he sees what I eat. He asked why I do it, my first reply was because I can and many will not and then I told him so I wouldn't look like him. He said "I couldn't do that", I replied " I know". I was out visiting Skip and everyone was out doing something. Hiking biking walking, just out and moving

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              I think you might have pasted in the wrong link above (1st link)... unless we're talking lizards here.

-S
              Damn it :embarasse

I had about 15 different tabs open.

Fixed.

Comment

Lizards!!
                :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
                  I work in a predominately black ghetto and it amazes me how shredded and muscular some of the guys I see are. I really don't believe they are eating anything that would remotely resemble a clean diet or even training at all, yet I see it time and time again.

Don't mean to post off-topic, but thought this was relevant to the discussion.

Comment

@Moco-
                    from what i remember from my undergrad history degree--i never saw any reference to body fat in relationship to environment but a strong correlation between bodyshape and environment. Hot climates produce flat angular thinner bodies with higher percentage of surface area to volume (poor for retaining heat, excellent for disapating heat). Colder climes produce thicker, rounder bodies (less surface comparatively to volume) better for retaining heat, poor for disapating heat).

Think sub-sahara/east africa versus scandanavian .....of course this is all more appropriate when referring to ancient history and even then more current research suggests that poeple were much more migratory than previously thought due to war, famine, etc

if youve never read Guns,Germs and Steel you should check it out (it wont a Pulitzer!)
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I spent years working youth detention and when I worked in Tampa I swear to you that there were 15 and 16 year old future olympic sprinters and bodybuilders in there daily. Ripped and muscular, it was fucking weird.

Skip
                      Originally posted by 46er View Post
                      I work in a predominately black ghetto and it amazes me how shredded and muscular some of the guys I see are. I really don't believe they are eating anything that would remotely resemble a clean diet or even training at all, yet I see it time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by 46er View Post

Genetics

@ the original topic. The southeast has the fattest states. So, I don't think temp plays a role. It is all about activity level and diet.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                          @ the original topic. The southeast has the fattest states. So, I don't think temp plays a role. It is all about activity level and diet.
                          But... does that mean that temperature doesn't play a role? I believe the levels of obesity that we see in that region is related to the culture of that region. If we isolated solely for the climate/temperature variable do you still think that it would not play a role? That is, if we looked at two different people - both with the exact same physical make-up (height, weight, lean mass, etc.), exact same activity levels, exact same diet, etc. but one lived in a subarctic region and the other in a tropical region - would we see a difference in metabolic rate? And to what degree?

Comment

Working...
                          X