Reverse dieting after 17 week cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse dieting after 17 week cut

Hi everyone, I've just started a reverse diet after a cut that was around 17 weeks in total. This is only the first week of the reverse diet and I'm planning on edging my calories up every week. I will take it week by week, look at the scales and make any necessary adjustments.

I've never been in this position before so I apologise in advance if much of the below is very detail specific.

I have been skiploading every Sunday for 12 hours or so - with the most recent involving 1500+ grams of carbs.

Basically, I want to spend the next 8 weeks or so bringing my calories up and reducing cardio and keeping as lean as possible and to continue skiploading every sunday and to load when I'm wanting to put on lean size with minimal fat gains after the initial 8 weeks or so.

At the last week of my cut, after cardio, my daily calories were around 1800 with rest days being 1600. So this week, for the first week of my reverse diet, I've added 100 calories through carbs mainly and will reduce each cardio session by 10 minutes.

In the next 3-4 weeks, cardio will be reduced in length and eventually 2-3 sessions will be removed completely, with two 45 minute sessions per week being kept in to help maintain leanness.

Calories (after cardio) and carb amounts at the final week of my cut were...

Workout days: 1800 calories
    Rest days: 1600 calories

Carbs:
    Monday (day after skipload) 50 grams
    Tuesday (workout day) 150 grams
    Wednesday (workout day) 150 grams
    Thursday (workout day) 200 grams
    Friday (cardio & rest day) 50 grams
    Saturday (workout day) 125 grams
    Sunday: Skipload day - 12 hours

I've been on much lower carbs than this about 4 weeks ago but introduced some carbs to try and break through a plateau.

I'm single digit body fat at the moment and want to stay lean and bring my maintenance calories up to what they should be - around 2500 calories. I've lost 20 lbs in the 17 weeks or so and I've never dieted to this lean before and as you can imagine, I'm keen to adjust calories and cardio slightly each week until my metabolism has been brought back to near normal levels.

In the next 3-4 weeks cardio will be reduced in length and eventually 2-3 sessions will be removed completely, with two 45 minute sessions being kept for the off season.

My first question is this - does this sound like a reasonable plan? Take each week as it comes and adjust slightly? Keep the skipload to 12 hours?

Once my maintenance calories have been brought up to near normal levels for someone of my size (160 lbs at the moment), I'd like to keep skiploading every Sunday and stay as lean as possible and I have an approximate plan laid out below with regards to carbs and calories for my weekly diet.

Protein will be approx 200 grams. Remainder fats (which will be higher on rest days when carbs are lowered)

Maintenance: approx 2500 calories

Monday (rest day) 2000 calories (500 deficit) 100 grams carbs

Tuesday (workout day) 2800 calories, 200-220 grams carbs

Wednesday (workout day) 2800 calories, 200-220 grams carbs

Thursday (workout day) 2800 calories, 200-220 grams carbs

Friday (cardio & rest day) 2000 calories, 100 grams carbs

Saturday (workout day) 2800 calories, 200-220 grams carbs

Sunday - (fasted cardio and Skipload in afternoon)

Second question - Do you think my preliminary plan (very approximate at best) looks decent to accommodate skiploading with minimal fat gains and muscle building at a slow but steady pace?

I really like skiploading as it gives me loads of enery in the gym for my Tuesday workout and to a lesser extent on Wednesday, my muscles always feel like they're about to explode!

Plus, skiploading allows me to relax and enjoy myself.

I just think it's advisable to go low carb and lower calories the day after the skipload to minimize fat gains and because I'm not doing any activities on a Monday, it makes sense?

Plus, with a moderate amount of carbs being taken in during Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's workout with lower calories and carbs on Friday, the skipload will replenish me and help with muscle building and renewed energy for the week ahead.

I realise that this is a fairly lengthy post and I'd appreciate any input.

I've never been in this position before, so I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folk as many of you are skiploading veterans and have been there, done it, ate the T-shirt on skiploading day etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    Dazarooni
    Last edited by Dazarooni; 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM.

Join John Meadows express site he has post contest laid out, no thinking involved

Comment

Thanks Robb.

Some of my questions are separate from the actual reverse diet itself, so if anyone would offer some thoughts on here I'd appreciate that.

Comment

All I can say is that I am thankful I hired Skip.....your plan looks so complicated and confusing lol, I am glad I dont have to do guess work like that.

Hope someone can answer your question though.

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
          All I can say is that I am thankful I hired Skip.....your plan looks so complicated and confusing lol, I am glad I dont have to do guess work like that.

Hope someone can answer your question though.
          lol, it does look a tad complicated huh?

I think it's because I want to stay as lean as possible and want to continue to skipload every sunday when trying to gain some size but remain lean.

My understanding is that if the rest of the week is set up correctly in terms of training, calorie intake and carbs, then skiploading can be beneficial for helping gain mass but also for keeping you lean due to the metabolism boost?

Plus, why not skipload? It keeps you sane. lol

Comment

Take your current diet and add 500 calories to each day per week until you notice fat gain and back off. You don't need many carbs the day after the skipload, but you know this already.

Comment

First, are you working with someone on the "reverse diet"? I ask because I know a douchebag trainer that uses that same term for his dieting.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                Take your current diet and add 500 calories to each day per week until you notice fat gain and back off. You don't need many carbs the day after the skipload, but you know this already.
                500 calories per day? I seriously doubt my metabolism would be able to handle that at this point? Would it not be better to err on the side of caution? Gradually raise calories? Have you tried this approach? You're a lot bigger than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                  First, are you working with someone on the "reverse diet"? I ask because I know a douchebag trainer that uses that same term for his dieting.

Skip
                  Hi Skip, with regards to the terminology used, it's just something that came up a few times when I ran a Google search. I read a few articles but they were not appropriate to my situation as skiploading has been and will hopefully continue to be a large part of my diet plan as I have enjoyed it that much and learned so much about my body from the weekly loads. Things like how long it takes to baseline, to shift water weight and when I look my leanest. Now that the parameters have changed and I am trying to build up to maintenance and beyond, I want to see how skiploading will assist with my goals. I appreciate you taking the time to read my thread and any input you might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazarooni View Post
                    500 calories per day? I seriously doubt my metabolism would be able to handle that at this point? Would it not be better to err on the side of caution? Gradually raise calories? Have you tried this approach? You're a lot bigger than me.
                    No last time I ate.myself into looking like I never dieted for a show. I guess it depends where your macros come from I suppose.50g protein, 25g carbs 30g fat, 470 calories. Just a guess. You could always reduce the load when adding daily calories
                    RobbHensel
                    Banned
                    Last edited by RobbHensel; 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                      No last time I ate.myself into looking like I never dieted for a show. I guess it depends where your macros come from I suppose.50g protein, 25g carbs 30g fat, 470 calories. Just a guess. You could always reduce the load when adding daily calories
                      Hmm that's 570 calories :-) I suppose I could gauge how much to eat on the load day by how depleted I am. With calories and carbs increasing slightly, I intend to start lifting heavier and working out slightly longer now that cardio is being decreased.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazarooni View Post
                        Hmm that's 570 calories :-) I suppose I could gauge how much to eat on the load day by how depleted I am. With calories and carbs increasing slightly, I intend to start lifting heavier and working out slightly longer now that cardio is being decreased.
                        Yeah whatever.so 20g fat and 480. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
                          That douchebag is the same one that steals everyone else's ideas and tries to pass them off as his own. Reverse dieting is just another one of those. LOL
                          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                          www.316fit.com
                          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                            That douchebag is the same one that steals everyone else's ideas and tries to pass them off as his own. Reverse dieting is just another one of those. LOL
                            Does their name sound like Mayne Gorton?

If so, I am extremely unaware..

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                              Does their name sound like Mayne Gorton?

If so, I am extremely unaware..
                              I doubt Layne takes anyone's ideas. I think the person being referred to is a former member here who was taking Skips ideas,experiments and other stuff and using it as his own. Even the pre diet questionnaire. I could be wrong though. ... but I never have been, just ask my wife.
                              2005 HOA Natural Classic
                              2006 OCB Midwest
                              2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                              2008 HOA Natural Classic
                              NPC Mid-Illinois
                              NPC Midwest Open
                              NPC Natural Grand Prix
                              2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                              USPA Illinois State
                              NGA Heart of America
                              NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Working...
                              X