My experiences with gluten free/grass fed/free range/organic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experiences with gluten free/grass fed/free range/organic

So for a long time I resisted the whole "Organic" thing when it came to my foods. I rationalized that the gross majority of people ate commercial meat/produce and didn't have serious illnesses. I even joked with my nursing colleagues that the more antibiotics in my beef the less I would have to take when I was sick. And there was of course the price deterrent.

Lately I have been swayed by a number things to reconsider my stance...

- I realized that while many people are not acutely ill the prevalence of chronic disease is quite high (admittedly due to many known and unknown factors).
    - I (and many on here) consume far more food and thus additives than the average person.
    - If I can afford to do something that may benefit my health even if just a small amount why would I not do that?
    - I realized I had already become mostly gluten free (aside from SKIPloads) unintentionally and that I actually felt much better and less bloated.
    - I have a few professional chef friends who have much experience with different qualities of food who helped expose me to the great improvement in taste and freshness of local organic products.
    - My wife and I have ratcheted up our focus and comittment to training and diet to an all time high. If we are going to commit to a top tier nutritionist like Skip to aid our performance shouldn't we commit to ourselves and provide the highest quality fuel for our bodies? I don't skimp and buy cheap supplements. Why would I do that with food of all things?

That was the main stuff off the top of my head. So anyway, I decided to go gluten free without being a total nazi (seasonings, spices, marinades, etc) and again felt much better. And I found things such as gluten free waffles I can barely taste the difference.

My next move was meat. It is admittedly almost twice the cost here with wild caught salmon and tuna even more so. This was the most noticeable difference though. Grass fed lean ground beef is not dry and bland like the normal stuff. It melts like butter in my mouth with only salt, pepper and a nice medium rare cooking. Chicken breast has barely any fat to be trimmed off versus the 25% loss in trimmings. And the chicken doesn't even need a knife to cut. A fork presses easily through. Fish as well is more flavorful. Produce I admittedly cannot tell as much a difference aside from some visual differences. I have not gotten organic free range eggs yet as I had quite a stock pile that is almost now depleted. I intend to go to the farmers market to get some bison next as well.

Is it more expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? I think so. Maybe not. Perhaps it is all placebo. Things like bloat and energy do feel better though. Will it save me from getting cancer in 25 years? Maybe and maybe not. Perhaps it is just my perspective with getting older, recently married and talking about a family in a few years that has me siding with the "better safe than sorry" perspective now.
    Someone once joked that, "You will never see a poor person with a gluten allergy. They can't afford to be allergic to shit!". That may be true. But if you can afford it I recommend at least looking into it. Jess and I had to change some of our other expenditures to account for an increase in our grocery budget. But if you truly want to commit to being all you can be in the gym I now think being the healthiest you is just as important as the strongest you.

Anyone with more knowledge or experience than me feel free to offer those thoughts up as I would love to hear them.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Adam,
    Do you have a Trader Joe's or Costco/BJ's near you? That is where Mike and I buy our organic meats and the prices are much more reasonable than buying from a grocery store (and especially Whole Foods :2guns

I think there is some truth to organic foods and gluten-free diets. We follow that for the most part (not always with the meats - for us it's really based on availability. We'll always try to go organic if we can). For the two of us, we spend ~$260/week on food, but to me, it's worth the extra pennies to know I'll feel better.

Not sure if either of you are big bakers, but I got started with gluten-free baking with the help of this website: http://www.sheknows.com/how-to/artic...to-gluten-free

Now I buy all my flours in bulk, via vitacost.com, and make my own flour mixture using brown and sweet white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour. I seriously can't tell the difference and almost prefer my gluten-free products over those made with wheat flour.

Glutino makes some awesome food products: poptarts, pretzels, cookies...all gluten-free. Udi's makes some of the best gluten-free bread I have had. I almost can't tell the difference. The bread literally melts in your mouth, kind of reminds me of eating Wonder Bread growing up haha.
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
    2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
    2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
    2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

Originally posted by Rco View Post
      Adam,
      Do you have a Trader Joe's or Costco/BJ's near you? That is where Mike and I buy our organic meats and the prices are much more reasonable than buying from a grocery store (and especially Whole Foods :2guns

I think there is some truth to organic foods and gluten-free diets. We follow that for the most part (not always with the meats - for us it's really based on availability. We'll always try to go organic if we can). For the two of us, we spend ~$260/week on food, but to me, it's worth the extra pennies to know I'll feel better.

Not sure if either of you are big bakers, but I got started with gluten-free baking with the help of this website: http://www.sheknows.com/how-to/artic...to-gluten-free

Now I buy all my flours in bulk, via vitacost.com, and make my own flour mixture using brown and sweet white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour. I seriously can't tell the difference and almost prefer my gluten-free products over those made with wheat flour.

Glutino makes some awesome food products: poptarts, pretzels, cookies...all gluten-free. Udi's makes some of the best gluten-free bread I have had. I almost can't tell the difference. The bread literally melts in your mouth, kind of reminds me of eating Wonder Bread growing up haha.
      That's all AWESOME information. We have a BJ's near here but it has a reputation for not being the best. There is supposed to be a CostCo coming. Everyone that goes to one raves about them so I am hopeful.

$260/week? So happy to hear another couple spend what we do on food. People think I am insane when I tell them about our grocery budget!

Comment

I wish we had a trader joe's close by. I love that place. I like local eggs from a farm, but I really don't buy grass fed. No reason, other than ease and price. I do buy my meat from a local butcher. I can taste a big difference compared to grocery store meat. Don't know if it is better or not though.

I don't know much about gluten free though or really what that even means (I know I must be the only one). I'll try some grass fed and see what I think. Then I'll blame yiou for increasing my grocery bill...ha
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

The difference in grass fed beef taste is alone enough to keep me from buying regular meat at a regular grocery store. As you mentioned, it melts like butter in your mouth. I typically go to Sprouts by me, and every week they have deals on certain meat or fish. And when things like grass fed ground beef go on sale, I stock up and buy 6-10lbs at a time. And yes our grocery bill is in the $250+ a week neighborhood, so don't feel bad lol.
          IG - smadayjr
          YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            Someone once joked that, "You will never see a poor person with a gluten allergy. They can't afford to be allergic to shit!". That may be true. But if you can afford it I recommend at least looking into it. Jess and I had to change some of our other expenditures to account for an increase in our grocery budget. But if you truly want to commit to being all you can be in the gym I now think being the healthiest you is just as important as the strongest you.

If you can do it and you feel it's worth it, then why not?

Thinking about my junk food and smoking days, I doubt I would feel much of a difference if I made that leap from eating takeout all the time and grass-fed, organic beef; the transition to cooking my own food and eating "shit with a shelf-life" was enough of a difference... if that makes sense?
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by Rco View Post
              Udi's makes some of the best gluten-free bread I have had. I almost can't tell the difference. The bread literally melts in your mouth, kind of reminds me of eating Wonder Bread growing up haha.
              I love Udi's breads...even better than the regular stuff! However, I have found some varieties of it can be dry.

I was doing some reading on gluten-free and apparently there isn't really a "partially" gluten-free diet. As long as there is some gluten in your diet, your body will still produce antibodies in reaction to it. You need to be totally gluten-free for at least three weeks so your body settles down and then you will really begin to see the benefits of it.

Going to wait until my youngest goes to college next year and then we will give that a shot though
              ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Originally posted by Uncxrt View Post
                The difference in grass fed beef taste is alone enough to keep me from buying regular meat at a regular grocery store. As you mentioned, it melts like butter in your mouth. I typically go to Sprouts by me, and every week they have deals on certain meat or fish. And when things like grass fed ground beef go on sale, I stock up and buy 6-10lbs at a time. And yes our grocery bill is in the $250+ a week neighborhood, so don't feel bad lol.
                250 a week? Dayum.

I'm living off of around 300 a month. Most of my protein intake is from team skip whey and my carbs and fats are cheap as hell. College Life!
                :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
                  I'm living off of around 300 a month. Most of my protein intake is from team skip whey and my carbs and fats are cheap as hell. College Life!
                  Samesies :smow: And I live in an overpriced studio with a hotplate and a flavorwave oven. I've been getting all of my carbs from squash, oats (gluten-free), and potatoes.

I can't wait to move out after boards next year to a one-bedroom. Looking forward to having a real kitchen with a real fridge.
                  #docswholift
                  PGY-1 FM
                  "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Gluten free products are superior to those containing it. No bloating no stomach problems.

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
                      250 a week? Dayum.

I'm always right around 300lbs (plus or minus 5-10lbs) and train towards powerlifting so my food intake needs to be high. Other than the gym, my wife and I don't do much and both of us enjoy good food, so we somewhat splurge when it comes to eating.
                      IG - smadayjr
                      YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

Great stuff Adam.

Thought you may like this article,if you haven't already come across it:

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...uscle-or-both/

Comment

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Article...at_Loss__.aspx
                          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I have read that. John is one of the people whose writings got me to investigate things more. The more I read about it and thought about it I realized my unintentional experiences matched what other people are saying.

Comment

Bought some local grass fed ground sirloin today. I'll let ya know what I think. $7/lb at my butcher....compared to the $4.29/lb super lean ground sirloin (local cattle) I usually get.
                              2005 HOA Natural Classic
                              2006 OCB Midwest
                              2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                              2008 HOA Natural Classic
                              NPC Mid-Illinois
                              NPC Midwest Open
                              NPC Natural Grand Prix
                              2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                              USPA Illinois State
                              NGA Heart of America
                              NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Working...
                              X