Spine Tingle (during rack chins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spine Tingle (during rack chins)

I've had some issues with pull ups hurting the tie-in area around the lat/shoulder area but luckily never had issues with rack chins, and they've been a favorite of mine over the last 4 years or so.

Well 3 workouts ago on my last set I felt a tingling sensation at mid spine level near the end of the set. I tried it again last week and the issue came up again. Tried it a final time yesterday and it was present on both sets. I stopped the set a little early as this is a pretty freaky phenomenon and I'm concerned there's going to be a sudden snap or something causing a big issue.

Anyone have any idea what this is? Unfortunately I will have to now take this exercise out and as mentioned have already had to take weighted pull-ups out as well due to the lat/teres major issue. Leaving me with pretty much just pulldowns on a crappy machine :\

Also I get a similar but less significant sensation at the cervical vertebrae during heavy barbell curls. This is all new, within the last month or so tops.

Thanks for any help.

cancer
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Aside from the obvious CANCER per Sammich above...

1. Talk to a doc

2. I experienced something similar (tingling and even stabbing pains which actually made me dizzy and nauseous) in my upper back/traps/neck. I think you just have seriously tight traps and rhomboids. I suggest deep tissue massage, heat, and jamming your trap area against the bar of a leg press. Roll around that area for a few minutes.

3. What also helped was to play around with how far I rested my ankles for rack chins. Further out, I felt strain, closer in with torso very perpednicular to the floor, not so much pain.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

need to see a vid of the rack chins. You could be rounding your back entirely and not staying upright through the lift..

Go see a Dr and/or a PT..Much better than asking people on the internet. health first

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          cancer
          Sammich, your comments crack my shit up all the time, so blunt and random.
          I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think there are good chiros too close by but there are plenty of doctors. But my experience with doctors is many don't seem to know what they're talking about and I feel like if I go to my GP he will just say "well it could be a pinched nerve, you should find a substitute exercise".

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
            Aside from the obvious CANCER per Sammich above...

1. Talk to a doc

2. I experienced something similar (tingling and even stabbing pains which actually made me dizzy and nauseous) in my upper back/traps/neck. I think you just have seriously tight traps and rhomboids. I suggest deep tissue massage, heat, and jamming your trap area against the bar of a leg press. Roll around that area for a few minutes.

3. What also helped was to play around with how far I rested my ankles for rack chins. Further out, I felt strain, closer in with torso very perpednicular to the floor, not so much pain.
            I have foam rolled and/or used a lacrosse ball on my upper back area for awhile now too. I don't feel any tighter than usual but who knows.

I also have always had my feet fairly close as well. I know the standard form is to have legs straight out but I have always had the bench about 6+in. closer so my legs are somewhat bent. Making this even more confusing, I seem to be doing things right to not have issues.

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
            need to see a vid of the rack chins. You could be rounding your back entirely and not staying upright through the lift..

Go see a Dr and/or a PT..Much better than asking people on the internet. health first
            I'll try to get a video but I've been doing them the same way for 4 years now so it seems odd that there would be any significant change in form at this point.

Comment

Working...
            X