Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF/IIFYM.. What's The Consensus Here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IF/IIFYM.. What's The Consensus Here?

    What's the general consensus here regarding Intermittent Fasting (IF) and If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) for best BODYBUILDING results?

    I'm not referring to Skiploading here; I'm talking about those guys (mostly young, Physique class guys) who proudly boast on Facebook about their daily Pop Tart intake because It Fits Their Macros.

    Seems to me IF can work very nicely for someone seeking a much-better-than-average body, but the long time between feedings is not conducive to gaining or maintaining maximum muscle mass.

    Same with IIFYM... it seems to me that as a diet progresses and calories gradually lower, it becomes more and more important that the foods one eats provide maximum nutrient density. Also, I'd think that the leaner one gets, the more resistant the body becomes to further fat loss and you'd want more stable blood glucose/insulin levels as provided by "clean" foods (I know, I know... Layne Norton says there's no such thing as a "clean" food) and properly spaced feedings.

    Am I right? Or is my thinking hopelessly outdated?

  • #2
    As far as results I'm not sure but I can't stick to IIFYM. I can't just have a cookie, or a small scoop of ice cream, or a small piece of pizza. When I'm eating 100% clean I have zero cravings and Img2g. Once I get a taste of the dark side it's impossible to stick with it. The below seems to to ring true for me so I stay away, as far as sugar being a drug I have no idea

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDaM8EU8mOQ

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yknycMgyNY&feature=fvwrel
    MachMood
    Banned
    Last edited by MachMood; 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think intermittent fasting will build muscle as easily as properly spaced meals to boost protein synthesis.

      I'm not into iifym, but I think the source of the carbs are less important. Fat sources ARE important. So in a bind I will grab a granola bar instead of oatmeal, but I wouldn't eat cheese whiz on my food instead of olive or coconut oil.



      Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


      Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

      Comment


      • #4
        I used "IIFYM" approach my last 2 preps. It isn't all cake and cookies though like a lot of folks think it is. I liked this type of eating and will continue it. Any specific questions I can answer, feel free to ask me. I don't say one is better than the other, but it was for me.
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        2011
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        2013
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans




        SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

        Comment


        • #5
          What's wrong with Poptarts???
          "SET NO LIMITS"

          "When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

          2015 NPC Supplement Express:
          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

          Use Discount Code MMH353..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by breck View Post
            I used "IIFYM" approach my last 2 preps. It isn't all cake and cookies though like a lot of folks think it is. I liked this type of eating and will continue it. Any specific questions I can answer, feel free to ask me. I don't say one is better than the other, but it was for me.
            I'd like to hear your thoughts about IIFYM and IF during the off-season.
            Save 5% at TRUEPROTEIN with discount code "MPP883"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by marlon View Post
              I'd like to hear your thoughts about IIFYM and IF during the off-season.
              I have never used an IF style, so I cannot comment on that.

              In regards to the IIFYM type, I don't know why it would be any different than pre-contest, except slowly adding more cals post show. I guess I would need more of a direct question.

              Again, I did not consume garbage day in and day out. The majority of my diet consisted of chicken breast, super lean ground sirloin, egg whites, quest bars,rice, fat free pringles, baked chips, pretzels (homemade), flat out light wraps...I did enjoy a snickers bar here and there and some other goodies, as long as I could calculate the macros.

              I found a ton of recipes and was able to create some pretty delicious and macro friendly meals. Just depends how creative you are and confident in the kitchen. Anything else I can answer, I will try.
              2005 HOA Natural Classic
              2006 OCB Midwest
              2007 ABA Natural Illinois
              2008 HOA Natural Classic
              2011
              NPC Mid-Illinois
              NPC Midwest Open
              NPC Natural Grand Prix
              2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
              2013
              USPA Illinois State
              NGA Heart of America
              NGA Clash of the Titans




              SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm for feeding to grow around the clock. If it fits in to fast to lose fat or clean out then it fits. I'm an advocate of eating junk when you can use it best like after a run or leg day. You eat it too much and then its a hassle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Even when the macros are the same, I grow better and function better at college and work on healthful foods. Which is common sense, realistically. Can you get diced on junk? Of course. Can you get swole on junk? Sure. But if I knew there was someone else who was going to be standing next to me on stage who did everything exactly the same as me, was identical genetically, everything identical, except he had -- for example -- oats, nuts and whey for a meal... Would I risk eating pankcakes, butter and soy protein when I could be eating that?

                  Fuck no.

                  It's just like why most of the better athletes focus more on general health in their supplements rather than fancy bullshit. Most of us on IM do.
                  You could bathe in some fancy ph correct creatine 3 times a day, but if you are vitamin D deficient or your immune system is crap or your cholesterol is all over the place, you aren't going to be doing as well as someone who has their general health on-point.

                  Eating shit because of enjoyment day-in day-out doesn't seem particularly efficient -- to me -- even if your 8 pack is sexy and your 16 inch arms make all the lades crazy.

                  MAS.
                  TEAM :tea: SKIP

                  2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                  2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That being said, I do believe there is something beneficial to musculature if you lather yourself in blended-up Krispy Kremes.

                    I don't have any peer-reviewed journals to support this.
                    TEAM :tea: SKIP

                    2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ive been IFing since Jan 2012 and it works perfectly for me. Its the only way of eating I have ever used which I have been able to grow/get stronger on plus stay around 7-8% year round. Ive used it for cutting, recomping and now growing and it works great for each.

                      Standard 8 hour eating window 12.30 - 20.30 everyday, 3 large meals eating till im full.

                      I spent 20 odd years stuffing breakfast down me when I didn't actually want it because I was never hungry in the mornings.

                      I also spent the same period of time eating smaller meals every 2-3hours and spending most of my time looking at my damn watch waiting for my next meal. (im the type of person that when im hungry I like to eat till full and I have a BIG appetite!)
                      Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by breck View Post
                        I have never used an IF style, so I cannot comment on that.

                        In regards to the IIFYM type, I don't know why it would be any different than pre-contest, except slowly adding more cals post show. I guess I would need more of a direct question.

                        Again, I did not consume garbage day in and day out. The majority of my diet consisted of chicken breast, super lean ground sirloin, egg whites, quest bars,rice, fat free pringles, baked chips, pretzels (homemade), flat out light wraps...I did enjoy a snickers bar here and there and some other goodies, as long as I could calculate the macros.

                        I found a ton of recipes and was able to create some pretty delicious and macro friendly meals. Just depends how creative you are and confident in the kitchen. Anything else I can answer, I will try.
                        Yes, Breck. I really don't like eating garbage either, but I do enjoy the variety I can get using IFFYM. I was just hoping to find some advice on IF during the off-season, since it will be fitting my schedule best.

                        Originally posted by anabolic2k View Post
                        Ive been IFing since Jan 2012 and it works perfectly for me. Its the only way of eating I have ever used which I have been able to grow/get stronger on plus stay around 7-8% year round. Ive used it for cutting, recomping and now growing and it works great for each.

                        Standard 8 hour eating window 12.30 - 20.30 everyday, 3 large meals eating till im full.

                        I spent 20 odd years stuffing breakfast down me when I didn't actually want it because I was never hungry in the mornings.

                        I also spent the same period of time eating smaller meals every 2-3hours and spending most of my time looking at my damn watch waiting for my next meal. (im the type of person that when im hungry I like to eat till full and I have a BIG appetite!)
                        I've been using it the past few months to cut some weight, and have had great success with it. It also matches my work schedule best.

                        So to maintain that level of leanness during the off-season, do you cycle your carbs or do anything special? How much over maintenance do you eat?
                        marlon
                        Middleweight Member
                        Last edited by marlon; 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM.
                        Save 5% at TRUEPROTEIN with discount code "MPP883"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
                          Even when the macros are the same, I grow better and function better at college and work on healthful foods. Which is common sense, realistically. Can you get diced on junk? Of course. Can you get swole on junk? Sure. But if I knew there was someone else who was going to be standing next to me on stage who did everything exactly the same as me, was identical genetically, everything identical, except he had -- for example -- oats, nuts and whey for a meal... Would I risk eating pankcakes, butter and soy protein when I could be eating that?

                          Fuck no.

                          It's just like why most of the better athletes focus more on general health in their supplements rather than fancy bullshit. Most of us on IM do.
                          You could bathe in some fancy ph correct creatine 3 times a day, but if you are vitamin D deficient or your immune system is crap or your cholesterol is all over the place, you aren't going to be doing as well as someone who has their general health on-point.

                          Eating shit because of enjoyment day-in day-out doesn't seem particularly efficient -- to me -- even if your 8 pack is sexy and your 16 inch arms make all the lades crazy.

                          MAS.
                          You hit it on the head. Performance wise healthy food choices; if they meet your caloric requirements will give you better performance. Eating healthy makes you look better and feel better. Sometimes junk is essential its a better choice to eat healthy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've been using IF for awhile now, although I'm leaning out. I actually eat 3 mains meals a day & use BCAA's in between. The meals are larger & more satisfying. When I was eating more frequently, I never approached feeling full. I'd rather get 3 bigger meals and feel satisfied then to constant be in a state of slight hunger. I've dropped 25 lbs and my composition is improving quite nicely.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm going to have to do some more reading on IF and IIFYM...sounds like some possibly promising information.

                              Although I do like clocking my meals throughout the day..
                              2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X