Are dropsets backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are dropsets backwards?

I've been training similar to DC with 1 rp set done to failure for each muscle about twice a week focusing on progression. I do my rp more like a dropset so I can go heavy on my first RP but keep my reps over 3 on the next 2. An example is incline I do 225 x10 but I load the bar with a 45,35,5,5. This way I can take 5lbs off each side for the rps which keeps them at about 5. Anyway so on to dropsets. It seems most people who do them do them as their last exercise, and after experimenting it seems these would be perfect as a first exercise. You can use a heavy weight and the drop set gets you to fatigue your muscles without Doing many SS to get to this point. Essentially it's getting you to point b faster with less sets so you save time and then can go onto different exercise using SS. It just seems logical to me to do this as your first exercise and tkse advantage of how hard it hits your muscles for the rest of the workout.

so try it for awhile and see how it works out for you.
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

^ ya right now I'm just doing an rp set for every muscle but def gonna keep this once i switch to more volume and start off with an " rp dropset". Sometimes things just feel right . Anyone every try this or something Similair

Comment

If failure was all we were after then yes, dropsets would be the answer.

Please don't put DC anywhere in that paragraph, that's just fucking rude.
        :preach:

Comment

relax liftweights.
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
            that's just fucking rude.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

keep track of the number of reps you get to failure with a certain weight and can you come back and beat that number of reps-if your able to progress with more reps the next time you perform that given exercise your getting stronger and more then likely your gaining muscle, or your becoming more explosive and training your fast twicth muscle fibers:loco:
              so either way you go if you getting stronger your doing something right
              If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
              :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
              Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

It's Not just about failure but getting the most in while still being able to hit tnat muscle more frequently. To me it feels like I'm Getting more out of those few extra reps by lowering tne weight . I could be all mental but I really think it's making a difference. Even if only a placebo it's a nice boost

Comment

Originally posted by ROB550 View Post
                  keep track of the number of reps you get to failure with a certain weight and can you come back and beat that number of reps-if your able to progress with more reps the next time you perform that given exercise your getting stronger and more then likely your gaining muscle, or your becoming more explosive and training your fast twicth muscle fibers:loco:
                  so either way you go if you getting stronger your doing something right
                  Right now My main goal is progression, just trying to get the most in while still being able to progess every single workpt. I only did this becuase my rp sets looked like 10,3,1 and sometimes not even 1. I felt like I wasn't getting much from that last rp so went to this setup. It seems most people can get more reps then me in the last rp sets and I didn't wanna lower the weight and do rod like 14,4,3

Comment

Sorry about my rude response. Stressful day

Just got from the gym though and now i feel phenomenal
                    :preach:

Comment

My opinion...grow a set and don't reduce the freaking weight... That's all
                      Last edited by mentalflex; 08-23-2013, 11:38 PM.
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                        My opinion...grow a set and don't reduce the freaking weight... That's all
                        Cool opinion

Comment

Reminds me a little of the training I did with Phil Hernon. I did 3 working sets of one exercise, dropping 10% for the 2nd working set, then more 10% for the final.

Comment

Working...
                          X