Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researcher shreds Carb backloading

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/201...tation-of.html

would love for some with a more research-oriented background than me to comment....
    Last edited by trucelt; 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM.
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

I like it, and agree with it.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
      I like it, and agree with it.
      How do you feel about his assertion that post-workout (sugary) carbs are bad (mmmkay)?
      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
        How do you feel about his assertion that post-workout (sugary) carbs are bad (mmmkay)?
        Whose assertion?
        kind of a douche

Comment

his choice of carbs post workout seems like a recipe for disaster health-wise to me....i can see going off on the PWO carbs but not his recs (pizza?!? is this a carb source or a fat source?)
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

The dude giving the interview?

Comment

First of all, I didn't take the time to read all of what is said there.

Thoughts:

-This is the guy interviewed. I'd not call him a "researcher" (and not in the area of exercise physiology) quite yet:

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/alex-viada.html

-I don't see a single citation to substantiate anything of what he says and haven't ready the CBL book to go and figure out what he's referring to. Basically, that makes this entire interview flim-flam IMO.

The first point that I could critically evaluate was this part of the interview, where Viada says, "There’s a problem with number 1. The CBL book states “Both fat and muscle cells react strongly to insulin in the morning and less so as the day goes on, i.e. insulin sensitivity is high in the morning.” …this is actually completely, 100% INcorrect." W/o references to know what he's talking about specifically (fat vs. muscle or insulin sensitivity), these sorts of studies become issues:

http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/e.../ea0006DP2.htm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...40673672924725

------------

If you want to use science to refute science, then the basis needs to be within the accepted protocol of scientific rhetoric, e.g., referring to and specifically citing the studies that support you argument. This is tough to do in an interview, of course, but given without those studies, it's just this guy's opinion vs. Kiefer's...

--------

Globally, the interview is set up to make Viada a person of authority, and thus believable or more believable than Kiefer. Kiefer MAY VERY WELL BE FULL OF SHIT on some of these points, but what is said in the parts of that interview THAT I READ don't convince me of such.

And, just like someone who grabs your attention on the street, for whom you stop to listen, after a bit of time of them babbling on, you eventually need to make a call to continue to listen for something worth waiting for, or continue on your way. The lack of citations, and what I DID read (again, I didn't read it all) didn't convince me that the quality of the information was going to help ME personally (someone who has NOT read Kiefer's book) gain any more insight that I personally would trust...

But, I'm an academic prude...

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Whose assertion?
                I assumed you read the whole interview.

From the interviewee;

Fact is, post-training is one of the WORST times to take in huge amounts of sugar, since not only are you probably slightly dehydrated, but your gut is also operating on low power mode (since your muscles are receiving most of the blood), further delaying gut emptying time. Hence, you get a fat insulin spike that lasts for hours and hours. You want a recipe for insulin resistance? There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  First of all, I didn't take the time to read all of what is said there.

Thoughts:

-This is the guy interviewed. I'd not call him a "researcher" (and not in the area of exercise physiology) quite yet:

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/alex-viada.html

-I don't see a single citation to substantiate anything of what he says and haven't ready the CBL book to go and figure out what he's referring to. Basically, that makes this entire interview flim-flam IMO.

The first point that I could critically evaluate was this part of the interview, where Viada says, "There’s a problem with number 1. The CBL book states “Both fat and muscle cells react strongly to insulin in the morning and less so as the day goes on, i.e. insulin sensitivity is high in the morning.” …this is actually completely, 100% INcorrect." W/o references to know what he's talking about specifically (fat vs. muscle or insulin sensitivity), these sorts of studies become issues:

http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/e.../ea0006DP2.htm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...40673672924725

------------

If you want to use science to refute science, then the basis needs to be within the accepted protocol of scientific rhetoric, e.g., referring to and specifically citing the studies that support you argument. This is tough to do in an interview, of course, but given without those studies, it's just this guy's opinion vs. Kiefer's...

--------

Globally, the interview is set up to make Viada a person of authority, and thus believable or more believable than Kiefer. Kiefer MAY VERY WELL BE FULL OF SHIT on some of these points, but what is said in the parts of that interview THAT I READ don't convince me of such.

And, just like someone who grabs your attention on the street, for whom you stop to listen, after a bit of time of them babbling on, you eventually need to make a call to continue to listen for something worth waiting for, or continue on your way. The lack of citations, and what I DID read (again, I didn't read it all) didn't convince me that the quality of the information was going to help ME personally (someone who has NOT read Kiefer's book) gain any more insight that I personally would trust...

But, I'm an academic prude...

-S
                  This is what I took away from it as well. From a layman's perspective, it just seemed like a dude spewing bullshit (w/o citations) to refute another dude allegedly spewing bullshit.

Comment

I assumed you read the whole interview.

From the interviewee;

Fact is, post-training is one of the WORST times to take in huge amounts of sugar, since not only are you probably slightly dehydrated, but your gut is also operating on low power mode (since your muscles are receiving most of the blood), further delaying gut emptying time. Hence, you get a fat insulin spike that lasts for hours and hours. You want a recipe for insulin resistance? There you go.
                    There's never a good time to take in huge amounts of sugar, unless you want to get fat as fuck. Also the guy giving the interview is a fucking piece of shit.
                    kind of a douche

Comment

There's never a good time to take in huge amounts of sugar, unless you want to get fat as fuck. Also the guy giving the interview is a fucking piece of shit.
                      What do you consider "huge amounts"?

Do you except a Skipload from your assertion?

Comment

What do you consider "huge amounts"?

Do you except a Skipload from your assertion?
                        Ah, fair point, I wasn't thinking of those situations.
                        kind of a douche

Comment

Ah, fair point, I wasn't thinking of those situations.
                          I don't know enough about the topic, but it seems that the carb-backloading is daily but Skiploads are once per week... Would once per week really be that detrimental?
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            I don't know enough about the topic, but it seems that the carb-backloading is daily but Skiploads are once per week... Would once per week really be that detrimental?
                            Yeah, that's what I meant. I mean,Skiploads are for when you're very depleted. They work, and that's been proven by hundreds of people using them. The whole principle of CBL just strikes me as another fad with horseshit pseudo-science thrown in to attempt to give it credibility. For example, everyone and their mother on EFS was using it all at once, and now not so much. In a year or two it'll be a memory, having given way to the next dumb fad.
                            kind of a douche

Comment

Yeah, that's what I meant. I mean,Skiploads are for when you're very depleted. They work, and that's been proven by hundreds of people using them. The whole principle of CBL just strikes me as another fad with horseshit pseudo-science thrown in to attempt to give it credibility. For example, everyone and their mother on EFS was using it all at once, and now not so much. In a year or two it'll be a memory, having given way to the next dumb fad.
                              Thank you kind sir, you insight is appreciated :yo:
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X