Anyone with NASM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with NASM

Thinking of getting a nasm cert. Anyone have that. Is there any way to get it cheaper than the price im seeing listed on nasm.org? Thinking of getting a job at la fitness. Im also worried about looking the part. As in looking like the product your selling. This is more of a back up plan incase i dont get into the state police. Anyone know about how much la fitness trainers pull in starting out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I trained for LA Fitness about four years ago when I was just out of highschool. It's a pretty shitty environment. LA Fitness as a company is ruthless towards its customers and will use pressure to make almost every sale. Especially the training sales. It is absolutely not something I would recommend for a full time job you rely on financially.

Even with more clients than everyone else at my club I made only mediocre money.. That's why i'm in college I guess lol.
    :preach:

Comment

I have the NASM-CPT, and am working toward the PES as we speak. I mainly have it "just in case", as I'm not hip on working at a Walmart type gym.

Other than getting on their payment plan (which isn't less expensive, just easier to stomach), there aren't a lot of options on getting it "cheaper".
      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
        I have the NASM-CPT, and am working toward the PES as we speak. I mainly have it "just in case", as I'm not hip on working at a Walmart type gym.

Other than getting on their payment plan (which isn't less expensive, just easier to stomach), there aren't a lot of options on getting it "cheaper".
        If you get hired on by one of the wal mart gyms before getting NASM, many of them offer discounts through NASM for employees. (worked at both 24 hr fitness and la fitness and they both did.)
        :preach:

Comment

Any idea what they make first year? I know its sorta rude but kinda want to know if its worth my time

Comment

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post
            Any idea what they make first year? I know its sorta rude but kinda want to know if its worth my time

Its a very fair question. Salary is important

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Comment

In my experience (8 years doing personal training, working at 2 small family owned gyms, an anytime Fitness, and owning my own studio for the last two and a half years)...
              Salary is purely determined by your drive, your personality, and your willingness to put a smile on your face day in day out no matter what crap you are going through.

When i first started training i was also a manager of the gym so pt was a very small income source...maybe $1k a month. After moving to anytime Fitness and building clientele I cleared $30k and was super excited. Since opening my studio I've cleared $60k+ with 2 other trainers working for me.

I think it should be noted I live in a small town (15,000), in a bigger city I think you could make a killing.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
              2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Originally posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
                I think it should be noted I live in a small town (15,000), in a bigger city I think you could make a killing.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
                There's a point of diminishing return, however, in reference to city size. For instance, I live in Denver and the clubs are LOUSY with personal trainers. Additionally, one would have a hell of a time opening their own spot & being successful IMHO. The market is saturated with both trainers & gyms.

I think the key right now (in this market) is to find a training niche, and really kick ass at it. That's what I've done, and while not wildly successful, I still make some spending money training people in an area that I know, love, and have had success in.

Fuck general PT...people are lazy & noncompliant.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I dont think im experienced enough for higher end training. But training newbies at a wal mart gym might be within my skill level. I watch the trainers at la fitness where i work out all the time. No offense to them. Unless their routine is mandated by the gym, which would make sense, they appear to have no idea what they are doing. I went from 220lbs of chewed bubble gum in highschool to at least the decent looking 165 i am today. I think i could help others do the same. But being as how many entry jobs here in maryland start out at approximately 40k yearly. I dont think i could sink the 700 bux to be a trainer for less than that. The state police process is still ongoing and looking good. So theres that. And they are starting at 43k. Sadly thats pennies in maryland. Heres an example, my apartment is 1245 a month for 700sft single bedroom. And thats cheep for the area.

Comment

I think I need to start a "trainers" thread....sometimes I think there are a lot of aspects of personal training that people neglect to think about. Being a awesome lifter is one thing, being able to cheerlead, motivate, deal with whiny clients(a constant thing), is a totally different beast.
                    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

I think I need to start a "trainers" thread....sometimes I think there are a lot of aspects of personal training that people neglect to think about. Being a awesome lifter is one thing, being able to cheerlead, motivate, deal with whiny clients(a constant thing), is a totally different beast.
                      Provide an hour's worth of psychoanalysis and feedback per client, per day.

Comment

So, so, so true.
                        #docswholift
                        PGY-1 FM
                        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Id certainly read it

Comment

Working...
                          X