Getting Certified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Certified

I want to get certified in personal training, so that I can work part time when I go back to school in January. I was doing some research, but there are so many certifications and I'm not sure what reputable gyms look for nowadays.

Couple things I am looking for...
    1) I don't want a shitty one that you can get in two weeks, I am willing to put time and effort in.
    2) I am willing to spend around $500 and have about 3 months time
    3) I want a respectable certification so I will get hired at a gym

I'm asking here because I trust this board...any help would be greatly appreciated!
    jwy5034 is online now Add to jwy5034's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Everyone has different opinions..I've been certified with ISSA for 6 years now (if you go with them let me know, I've got a referral code). I've done personal training at 2 local gyms (anytime fitness, and a family owned place), and have owned my own studio for the last 2.5 years. I think ISSA is a very respectable certification.

ACE is another, as well as NASM. I choose ISSA because they focus heavily on practical usage as opposed to formulas you likely never use.

Holler at me if you have any questions.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

I just recently passed my exam through ISSA. I' now working towards a AS in Exercise Science also through ISSA. The information provided by ISSA was very informative and the staff was very helpful.
      "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
      2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
      2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
      2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
      2002 NPC Western Carolina:
      2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

edit: I am reading that many chain gyms do not accept ISSA certs and prefer NCSA, ACE, and NASM instead... I will have to do some thorough research before making my decision
        Last edited by jwy5034; 08-01-2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Why try to guess, when you are focused now on a specific job market and limited number of gyms (probably only 2-3 specific businesses)?...

I would call the gyms you may end up working at / for and ask what they would prefer and/or require.

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

What Homon said. Call around and find out what certs the gyms prefer.

As a side note... I was a trainer and training director at a big gym for almost 8 years. I always wanted to set expectations for the newby trainers coming in as sometimes there is a misconception that personal training is easy and profitable. I witnessed many people shell out $500+ on a cert but were not willing to put in the time or effort to build a big enough business to generate any money.

I loved personal training and miss it everyday so I just want to make sure that anyone considering it is well prepared so they do not have a bad experience.

Comment

Working...
            X