Back-off Sets for Bodybuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-off Sets for Bodybuilding

How do most of you guys approach back-off sets and why?

For example, if working up to a top set of 4-6 reps on the first set. Would you then drop the weight approx. 10% to do 7-12 reps followed by another 10% drop to get 12+ reps. Would the two back off sets be done with no rest/strip-set style, rest-pause style, or the typical 60-90sec. rest?
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

After a max set of 6-8 I sometimes drop the weight down to about 65-75% and rep out 20+ reps somewhat widowmaker style, and for exercises that I can safely do it on I continue repping out partials essentially until I can no longer move the weight. But keep in mind that I don't do this every time and I don't do this for every exercise. This will sometimes be done as a drop set immediately after, but will sometimes be after a 60-90 second rest. The weight used depends on the rest time. Another approach I take is to drop the weight and do 10+ reps where the negative is very slow (5 seconds or more) with an explosive concentric OR have a partner apply added resistance on the negative which I try to push back against.
    Last edited by moco; 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
      How do most of you guys approach back-off sets and why?

For example, if working up to a top set of 4-6 reps on the first set. Would you then drop the weight approx. 10% to do 7-12 reps followed by another 10% drop to get 12+ reps. Would the two back off sets be done with no rest/strip-set style, rest-pause style, or the typical 60-90sec. rest?
      Sounds like ur referring to Phil Hernon style training.

Comment

Working...
      X