How to track diet progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to track diet progress?

The scale is messing with my head and I don't want to blow it by restricting calories too much. I did that last year and I ended up at a frail 205 and I was still soft because I lost muscle.

I have basically been anywhere between 214 and 218 in the morning for about 2 weeks now.

Do you guys go purely based on the mirror? Pics? Measurements? If so, where and how do I measure?

Scale, clothes, pics, measurements.

Neck
    Chest (at the nipple line)
    Waist (around the belly button)
    Hips (at the widest part)
    Thigh (at the largest part)
    Bicep (unflexed, at the widest part)

YMMV.
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Give calipers a try. I don't have good luck with using the mirror so I have to take weekly pics to compare.
      6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
      1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Scale and pictures, what kind of answer were you expecting lol.
        :preach:

Comment

Poke fat; measure jiggle.

[YOUTUBE]3jGk7sy0X34[/YOUTUBE]
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Pick a 4 or 5 spots on your body, every few weeks get some measurements on thos areas, write it down and compare with the previous measurements.

The same goes with pics
            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
              Scale and pictures, what kind of answer were you expecting lol.
              The question was only somewhat literal, I just wanted to see people's personal preference.

I'm just at that mind fuck stage where it's hard to tell a difference in the mirror or pics because I am not lean enough yet. It's that flat and small, but still soft, stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                Poke fat; measure jiggle.

[YOUTUBE]3jGk7sy0X34[/YOUTUBE]
                That's funny. That is the first thing I check every morning actually haha.

Comment

Mike,

I go with a few things. It all depends on what my focus areas or goals are at that moment.

Maybe I read through your post too quickly, but is your goal now to lose weight or gain?

Here is how I structure things:

1. Determine what bodyparts I'm trying to improve. If I am in a gaining period (which I am now) I will measure my quads and arms in order to see if they are growing.

2. I would measure them with a tape measure every few weeks.

3. I will use calipers to measure only certain areas. I will caliper my chest, mid-axillary, and oblique. Those are all areas where I carry the most fat.

I suppose that this same protocol could work for me while dieting as well. If my arms and legs are losing too much size too quickly, then I'd adjust.

I do go by the scale as well. I only worry about my scale weight after I've been back to my normal diet for a few days. If I skipload or have a binge then I don't weigh myself, or take the weight as my progress since it's skewed.

Hope that helps a bit.
                  2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
                  2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
                  Plans
                  2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                    That's funny. That is the first thing I check every morning actually haha.
                    That's the way I do it too, it's the only way that's scientifically proven to be 57.39% accurate.

I use clothes, measurements as my main way of gauging progress man.
                    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Time&Patience View Post
                      Mike,

I go with a few things. It all depends on what my focus areas or goals are at that moment.

Maybe I read through your post too quickly, but is your goal now to lose weight or gain?

Here is how I structure things:

1. Determine what bodyparts I'm trying to improve. If I am in a gaining period (which I am now) I will measure my quads and arms in order to see if they are growing.

2. I would measure them with a tape measure every few weeks.

3. I will use calipers to measure only certain areas. I will caliper my chest, mid-axillary, and oblique. Those are all areas where I carry the most fat.

I suppose that this same protocol could work for me while dieting as well. If my arms and legs are losing too much size too quickly, then I'd adjust.

I do go by the scale as well. I only worry about my scale weight after I've been back to my normal diet for a few days. If I skipload or have a binge then I don't weigh myself, or take the weight as my progress since it's skewed.

Hope that helps a bit.
                      Thanks. My goal is just to get lean (like 10%, not stage lean) and just kinda sit there while slowly perma gaining. I have done nothing but bulk for 10 months/cut hard for 2 months for the last 3 years or so and it's just not working. I just get fat, then lose the trace amount of muscle I may have gained as I dieted down. I finally realized natty lifters have to take everything SLOW once they reach a certain size. So I'd rather just stay lean and slowly add size over the next 2-3 years with just minor 4 week cleanup diets maybe before summer or something.

The reason the scale fucks with me is because I eat exactly the same thing every day, and my activity is pretty much always the same, but some days I will wake up 3 lbs lighter for no reason, so it messes with me.

I have been going by the mirror since I made this thread and that has helped.

Comment

What sucks is I still appear to be about 14-15% right now at only 214. So I will probably be 200 lbs when I am done. 6'5" 200 lbs lol. And you know I lift hard and go hard in the gym. Probably just not in the cards for me to big truly big. I have been almost 250 before, but I was just fat and looked like crap. So may as well try a new approach.

I was 230 when I started this cut and looked pretty bad. I don't think any of the weight gain from last year resulted in any new muscle. Now, I do have low test (about 300 ng/dl) so that could be the culprit.
                        Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Yeah I know they are calculators, but according to a few calculators, my max natural LBM at my height is 190. So I guess 182 isn't that bad.

Comment

You probably need to work with Skip and see how far you will go.
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Are you getting anything done about the t? I was reserved to start but after I did I was pleased with the results. It made a huge difference.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                              …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X