blood flow during a dc stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood flow during a dc stretch

my blood flow seems restricted on some of the dc stretches (chest, triceps, especially)

for chest, my hands holding the damn dbs creates a blockage of blood flow. 90s of this shit!?!

for triceps, usually not too big of a deal but today i noticed my right delt is full of red dots--the kind when you get burst capillaries, suggesting inhibited blood flow?

anyways is this something to just suck up or should i change up something?

Less weight from the sound of it

Comment

Unless you are impinging veins or arteries by placing pressure or exerting a force on them on them in some way, which would restrict blood supply then blood flow should not be restricted when doing those stretches. I don't see how holding DB as one would in DC chest stretch would cause restricted blood flow unless you were not stretching correctly and pinched off veins or arteries by having you body in compromising position.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Static stretching in general causes a decrease in blood flow to the tissues

Comment

Originally posted by grammo13 View Post
          Static stretching in general causes a decrease in blood flow to the tissues
          My bad... When I did a quick google search I saw static stretching increased blood flow: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html

from that website:

Stretching exercises should form an integral part of any conditioning program. Performed consistnetly, the stretching exercises below can help to do the following...

Increase the range of motion about a joint reducing the risk of muscle and tendon tears during competitive activity.

Relieve muscle tightness and stiffness.

Improve postural imbalances and help to reduce chronic back pain.

Increase localized blood flow to the muscles being stretched.

Possibly relieve muscle soreness after intense physical activity and help to reduce the severity of DOMS (dleayed Onset Muscle Sorness).

And this website: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/stretching.html

"To get the most benefit from your static stretching routine while minimizing injury, stretching should be done after warm-up exercises. The increased blood flow to the muscles aids in the flexibility gains from stretching and is an important component for injury prevention."

Take it FWIW...
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...se-injury.aspx

http://orlandowebwizard.com/~michael...tic-stretching

None of the websites either of us posted are credible to be honest, I'm only going by what I learned back in undergrad, but there are websites for both of our arguments. Your second quote seems to refer to the increased blood flow from warming up helping with the benefits of static stretching, not the actual effects of the stretch itself.

Comment

Bad information leads to bad conclusions

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

ill try lighter weight. i guess for the chest stretch, the weight of the dumbells compresses my skin/veins so that blood flow is blocked.

at least i know i won't be getting any narb wood while doing these stretches

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  Bad information leads to bad conclusions
                  What do you mean? or should I say, what are you referring to?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Comment

What do you mean? or should I say, what are you referring to?

I collected bad information, which I believed to be true and therefore lead to a poor conclusion (about blood flow and stretching)...

It could also be that I haven't slept in 3 days....

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                      I collected bad information, which I believed to be true and therefore lead to a poor conclusion (about blood flow and stretching)...

It could also be that I haven't slept in 3 days....
                      next level anabolism--dont sleep for 3 days to shock the body with more "muscle confusion" to promote a stimulus for new age hypertrophy

Comment

Mental will probably gain another 40 lbs with the 3 days awake secret

Comment

Guys, isometric contractions at or above about ~50-60% of an Max voluntary isometric contraction (which is where a weighted DC stretch would typically leave you), will prevent blood flow during the stretch. (I have seen data to suggest even lower %'s of MVC, but didn't want to find the time to dig it up.)

The compressive force in the contracting muscle during the stretch must simply be greater than the blood pressure driving blood into the muscle. It doesn't take much, really.

AFTER the stretch, d/t metabolic accumulation in part, you'll get reactive hyperemia - an increase in blood flow.

Shit, a good stretch will blanch out the skin even, the surface veins will go flat (simply from the stretch on the skin, not to mention no arterial flow feeding into the system) and then, after the stretch, you'll get a nice pump and filling of the surface veins.

Sadamoto, T., F. Bonde-Petersen, et al. (1983). "Skeletal muscle tension, flow, pressure, and EMG during sustained isometric contractions in humans." Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 51(3): 395-408.
                          In five healthy males sustained isometric torques during elbow flexion, knee extension, and plantar flexion correlated positively with intramuscular tissue pressure (MTP) in the range 0-80% of the maximal voluntary contraction (MVC). During passive compression of the muscle at rest 133-Xenon muscle clearance stopped when MTP reached diastolic arterial pressure (DAP) indicating that the muscle vascular bed was occluded. However, during sustained contraction this relation between DAP, flow and MTP was not seen. In two cases 133-Xenon clearance from M. soleus did not stop in spite of an 80% maximal contraction and MTP stayed below DAP. In other cases MTP would reach as high as 240 mm Hg before clearance was zero. In the deeper parts of the muscles MTP during contraction was increased in relation to the more superficial parts. The means values for the % MVC that would stop MBF varied between 50 and 64% MVC for the investigated muscles. Mean rectified EMG (MEMG) showed a high correlation to MTP during sustained exhaustive contractions: When MEMG was kept constant MTP also remained constant while the exerted force decreased; when force was kept constant both MEMG and MTP increased in parallel. This demonstrated that muscle tissue compliance is decreasing during fatigue. Muscle ischemia occurring during sustained isometric contractions is partly due to the developed MTP, where especially the MTP around the veins in the deeper parts of the muscle can be considered of importance. However, ischemia is also affected by muscle fiber texture and anatomical distorsion of tissues.

--------------

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Mental will probably gain another 40 lbs with the 3 days awake secret

LOL! I'm in maintenance. Going to focus on finishing grad school this year and get the weight back up next year (A la' Homon's magic)

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                            Guys, isometric contractions at or above about ~50-60% of an Max voluntary isometric contraction (which is where a weighted DC stretch would typically leave you), will prevent blood flow during the stretch. (I have seen data to suggest even lower %'s of MVC, but didn't want to find the time to dig it up.)

The compressive force in the contracting muscle during the stretch must simply be greater than the blood pressure driving blood into the muscle. It doesn't take much, really.

AFTER the stretch, d/t metabolic accumulation in part, you'll get reactive hyperemia - an increase in blood flow.

Shit, a good stretch will blanch out the skin even, the surface veins will go flat (simply from the stretch on the skin, not to mention no arterial flow feeding into the system) and then, after the stretch, you'll get a nice pump and filling of the surface veins.

Sadamoto, T., F. Bonde-Petersen, et al. (1983). "Skeletal muscle tension, flow, pressure, and EMG during sustained isometric contractions in humans." Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 51(3): 395-408.
                            In five healthy males sustained isometric torques during elbow flexion, knee extension, and plantar flexion correlated positively with intramuscular tissue pressure (MTP) in the range 0-80% of the maximal voluntary contraction (MVC). During passive compression of the muscle at rest 133-Xenon muscle clearance stopped when MTP reached diastolic arterial pressure (DAP) indicating that the muscle vascular bed was occluded. However, during sustained contraction this relation between DAP, flow and MTP was not seen. In two cases 133-Xenon clearance from M. soleus did not stop in spite of an 80% maximal contraction and MTP stayed below DAP. In other cases MTP would reach as high as 240 mm Hg before clearance was zero. In the deeper parts of the muscles MTP during contraction was increased in relation to the more superficial parts. The means values for the % MVC that would stop MBF varied between 50 and 64% MVC for the investigated muscles. Mean rectified EMG (MEMG) showed a high correlation to MTP during sustained exhaustive contractions: When MEMG was kept constant MTP also remained constant while the exerted force decreased; when force was kept constant both MEMG and MTP increased in parallel. This demonstrated that muscle tissue compliance is decreasing during fatigue. Muscle ischemia occurring during sustained isometric contractions is partly due to the developed MTP, where especially the MTP around the veins in the deeper parts of the muscle can be considered of importance. However, ischemia is also affected by muscle fiber texture and anatomical distorsion of tissues.

--------------

-S
                            Thanks Doc

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

--------------

-S
                              when you make these posts i don't even bother reading the study anymore and just take your word for it. you can probably put something like "eat ranch for improved stretches" and i'd be none the wiser.

since the flye stretch is using ~50% of weight, is the proper method to just continue or to drop the weight to prevent the decreased flow?

Comment

Working...
                              X