Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricks of the trade; wisdom and advice (advanced bodybuilding methods).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks of the trade; wisdom and advice (advanced bodybuilding methods).

After training for some time I feel like everyone out there has a little bit of wisdom when it comes to certain things. For example, When doing back, elbow position can make all the difference in the world. I also noticed that using straps and not relying on my grip actually seems to have helped me focus on feeling the workout in my back instead of my bi-ceps.

In an effort to learn a few new things I felt a post regarding little tricks in the gym could really help myself and others improve their physiques out there.

I used to want gigantic traps. I would dead, rack dead, barbell shrug, dumbell shrug and finish with seated dumbell shrugs. Then one offseasn I noticed that I was getting soft as hell and my traps were really overpowering my other bodyparts.
    Translation, I was looking fattttt and really narrow. I looked like a Jaba the Hut if only he had less of a neck. I stopped doing traps all together from that point and since then I have cleaned up my diet, somewhat and for about 2 days.

I feel that I would do well with actaully letting my traps get a little smaller and bringing up my side delts. My problem is that I unless I am doing some type of pressing movement for shoulders my traps take over. Any advice on how to really focus on bringing up my side delts to help with that v-taper wide look?

On a side note, feel free to post asking questions regarding lagging bodyparts, improving an X frame, whatever you may need help with or even giving some personal feedback.

Comment

Although Jason Wojo was/is a big proponent of DC training, he stated in a video that what really brought up his delts were super heavy laterals, rest-paused.

I'm sure focusing on good lat width exercises and stretches should help widen your back and as a corollary, your shoulders.

Keep that waste small...I know it's old school and probably has been debunked but I distinctly remember IFBB pros constantly wearing their lifting belts in an attempt to atrophy the muscles of the midsection for a smaller waistline.

I remember reading a pro who had to forego either deadlifts or squats since it widened his waist and ruined his symmetry.

Just thinking out loud.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I found Wojo's and Skips side laterals really worked well. Skip's incline overhead tri's also added some serious mass to my tri's, more so in 6 months than anything over the previous 2yrs.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
          Keep that waste small...I know it's old school and probably has been debunked but I distinctly remember IFBB pros constantly wearing their lifting belts in an attempt to atrophy the muscles of the midsection for a smaller waistline.

I remember reading a pro who had to forego either deadlifts or squats since it widened his waist and ruined his symmetry.

Just thinking out loud.
          Wearing a belt wouldn't atrophy the muscles...Now if they were to wear a corset day in day out for years..then it would make the waist smaller, but few hours in the gym here and there wouldn't. especially when you consider a corset you have to be strapped into TIGHT...not just doing up another rung on a lifting belt, lol.

I think that pro was Cutler..But that's broscience.
          Said deadlifts gave him his thick waist. My answer to that is, well how many people deadlift huge weights and squat huge weights have massive waistlines when cut right down. When Dave Tate cut down his waist looked completely normal IE not massive. Same goes for Richard Hawthorne.

Golden era bodybuilders dealifted and squatted and not a single large waist was ever seen.

Btw Roy not attacking you. Just giving my answers to what you said
          Apologies if it comes across like I am.

Comment

Never listen to bro's in the gym.. that's my greatest advice!

Upright row, hands shoulder/just wider that shoulder width..youll only be able to bring the barbell jto an inch or two below the nipple..Close your eyes and visualize the delts bringing your arms upwards along the front of your body.
            Your Hands are only meaty hooks in any rowing movement. They grip the bar. That is all.

If you put up some vids then I would guess you are sort of shrugging weight for momentum ..Try not to elevate the traps ..try and keep your chest up and stuck out like a pidgeon..sink your shoulder and then do a side lateral. You will only be able to side lateral half your weight..

If you really get into a stiff grove and only let the side delt do the work, then you will look like a robot.

Comment

I do notice during an upright row I do not feel my traps work at all. I think I will try to do some upright rows and then focus on keeping my chest high for the side delts lateral raises.

And yea to be honest I think my back may need a little more width in my lower lat area. I may rotate some more rack chins for that. But when I deadlift now I notice that my traps just blow up. A while back Dante posted about being able to open and expand your ribcage but I do not think there was a post following it up to tell how to do it. I have read other people mention things about it but I do focus on dumbell pullovers and breathing to open mine up a little bit more. My goal is to pull out my lats and make them bigger for a front pose as well as make my waist appear smaller by doing the bumbell pullovers.

I could def go on for hours bout the little things I have done to improve my look but I would say my shoulders are the thing I really needed the most help with. However, I have been cutting lately and I think I am going to be finding out that I have a whole new list of goals and bodyparts to address haha.

Comment

Working...
              X