Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Exercise Physiology Course on Coursera

Hey Everyone,

Not sure how many people know about the site Coursera, but it is a website that offers free online courses from reputable universities in a wide range of subjects. I'm just finishing up with the Introduction to Data Science course (not relevant here) and it was very good.

I was browsing to see what they have coming up and spotted this one:
    Exercise Physiology: Understanding the Athlete Within
    https://www.coursera.org/course/exphys

Thought that some of the members here might be interested in taking this.

Here are some others:
    https://www.coursera.org/course/nutrition
    https://www.coursera.org/course/nutritionforhealth
    https://www.coursera.org/course/humanphysio
    https://www.coursera.org/course/pharm101

Courses are typically 6-8 weeks long and involve approx. 1-2 hours of video lectures per week and potentially one assignment/quiz per week.
    Last edited by moco; 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

The instructor for that course, Mark Hargreaves is very well respected in the Exercise Phys. scientific community, FWIW. That's a golden opportunity, depending on how much one could actually interact with him.

(Moco did you get the impression that the listed instructor was actually responding to student questions, etc, or was it a grad student or someone else?...)

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

That's awesome... I was just talking to my wife about going back to Grad School the other day... but the time/cost isn't workable for right now. I will keep my eyes on this site so I can continue to learn in the meantime.

Thanks
      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
      -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
      198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
      -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
      198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
      -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
      198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
        The instructor for that course, Mark Hargreaves is very well respected in the Exercise Phys. scientific community, FWIW. That's a golden opportunity, depending on how much one could actually interact with him.

(Moco did you get the impression that the listed instructor was actually responding to student questions, etc, or was it a grad student or someone else?...)

-S

For the Introduction to Data Science course that I just took the instructor was Bill Howe, the Director of Research and Scalable Data Analytics at the eScience Institute and Affiliate Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington. He was active on the discussion forum for the course, frequently sent out updates & tips on assignments, and even promptly responded to emails that I sent directly to him regarding specific questions. And there were 45,000+ students enrolled!
        Last edited by moco; 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Well there goes my summer plans to do yoga, lift weights, and practice tying surgical knots lol.
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM
          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
            Bill Howe, the Director of Research and Scalable Data Analytics at the eScience Institute and Affiliate Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington.
            that is a long title
            sigpic

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
            1 Timothy 4:8

Comment

Just a heads up - the course starts this week - https://class.coursera.org/exphys-001/class/index

To successfully complete this course you will need to devote at least three to four hours every week over the six weeks of the course. In that time you should watch the video lectures and complete the weekly review quizzes. Work at your own pace ensuring that you cover all of the material presented in this course. Follow the suggested weekly study guides to ensure you complete all of the recommended learning activities.
              There are four course assessments - two quizzes worth 10% each, an assignment worth 20% and a final test worth 60% (see details above). In order to satisfactorily complete this course, an overall grade of 50% must be attained; to complete the course with distinction, an overall grade of 80% or above must be achieved.

Comment

For the Introduction to Data Science course that I just took the instructor was Bill Howe, the Director of Research and Scalable Data Analytics at the eScience Institute and Affiliate Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington. He was active on the discussion forum for the course, frequently sent out updates & tips on assignments, and even promptly responded to emails that I sent directly to him regarding specific questions. And there were 45,000+ students enrolled!
                moco,

I'd have to wonder if that was *really* him or one of several GA's who simply used the same handle / login and email (to prevent confusion). One guy, with apparently another big job, answering and responding to every email and post from an entire University-size course (45,000 students). That would be like a one person administration at a large State school here in U.S.

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  moco,

I'd have to wonder if that was *really* him or one of several GA's who simply used the same handle / login and email (to prevent confusion). One guy, with apparently another big job, answering and responding to every email and post from an entire University-size course (45,000 students). That would be like a one person administration at a large State school here in U.S.

-S
                  Definitely possible. His email address wasn't actually listed on Coursera; I did some sleuthing and found it through the UW website - so not sure how many emails he actually received from students of the course. Regardless, I got prompt replies that answered my questions - I don't care who care who was responding to me, just that I got what I needed.

Comment

Damn, this material is definitely not a walk in the park to understand

Comment

Definitely possible. His email address wasn't actually listed on Coursera; I did some sleuthing and found it through the UW website - so not sure how many emails he actually received from students of the course. Regardless, I got prompt replies that answered my questions - I don't care who care who was responding to me, just that I got what I needed.
                      Makes sense, but of course it's a diff. level of competency in answering questions from a tenured professor vs. a grad student who may have just taken that same course last year.

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by djjohnnied View Post
                        Damn, this material is definitely not a walk in the park to understand
                        Have you taken any science classes?

This guy is talking so slow it's refreshing and glorious.
                        #docswholift
                        PGY-1 FM

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                          Have you taken any science classes?

This guy is talking so slow it's refreshing and glorious.
                          Back in high school, thanks to just personal research on exercise and things related to bodybuilding I can get a decent grasp on things, but how I said, I thought it was gonna be a piece of cake LOL and it's not, not saying it should be though, it's very informative, really excited to learn more

Comment

Originally posted by djjohnnied View Post
                            Back in high school, thanks to just personal research on exercise and things related to bodybuilding I can get a decent grasp on things, but how I said, I thought it was gonna be a piece of cake LOL and it's not, not saying it should be though, it's very informative, really excited to learn more
                            Well if you need any resources, let me know. I still have some things from neuro block on this laptop.
                            #docswholift
                            PGY-1 FM

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                              Well if you need any resources, let me know. I still have some things from neuro block on this laptop.
                              Thanks so much man, I really appreciate that! Will keep that in mind in case I need it for future lessons

Comment

Working...
                              X