Sam Byrd on Squatting Big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Byrd on Squatting Big

Posted this link in my journal, but I wanted to share it here as well.

This is an excellent article on squat (and potentially other lift) programming. It's simple, clearly effective, and it really puts into perspective how we as lifters sometimes overcomplicate the process.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...squatting-big/
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

I read that same article yesterday. I really think that raw lifters need to get away from the Westside method.... I am unaware of any top tier raw lifters who use, or have used Westside to get where they are at...

I think the biggest thing with this type of programming is the confidence that it builds in the lifter. However, at the same time I do think you need to handle heavy weights on occasion just to get used to that feeling, just not every week.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Thanks for posting, Rage. Great read and makes sense. Keep it simple and keep progressing in bar speed. I would imagine that this would be the case for deads and bench as well?
      "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Thanks for posting this up,

So just to reiterate you're only really going MAX every 3-4 months? Just to re-test and readjust your percentages? I want to feel like I got hit by a truck every week though!

Hmmm I guess the intensity is still there with the reduction of rest periods as you progress.

He touches on how he wants to improve on conditioning...completing the workout from 30 minutes to 15 minutes or less. How would you suggest incorporating cardio?
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I guess the incorporation of cardio would be goal dependent.

For ME, I'd probably keep all other cardio & conditioning the same, and just reap the benefits as my work capacity in the gym increases.

My cardio is LISS just to get heart rate up & keep moving. As my conditioning got better from smaller rest intervals, I'd just push other conditioning harder until my training started to suffer from a recovery standpoint.

I did this today (5x5 @ 60%1RM), and was able to go with 1'30" rest periods. My whole damn session took 40-45 min including mobility work.

I was, however, slowing down on work sets 4 & 5, starting about rep 18. Given that, I'd do the same session over with 1'30" rest and shooting for uniform rep speed.
          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

RedSkull
            TEAMSKIP.net web designer
            Last edited by RedSkull; 07-06-2013, 03:05 AM.
            PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Working...
            X