How to increase cardio drastically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to increase cardio drastically?

I guess the bet way to find out would be to just try it and see what happens. But I'm curious as to how you guys incorporate cardio/condition into your fitness regimen.

I have shit cardio (never do it). I want to be much better at it, for health reasons. I also think better cardio will help me up intensity in the gym (better oxygen utilization = more muscle endurance).

What is the best way to maintain/make muscular gains while taking myself from couch potato to cardio beast.

Here is an article for reference: (the subject reduced weight training to 2/week but WOW look at those results)

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...tput-training/

Currently lift weights every day but still making gains due to high calorie diet (not too crazy) and switching to more bodybuilding type training where the CNS is less fatigued compared to how I used to train (basically doing higher rep sets).

Do it slowly IMO.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I try to do it first thing in the morning which with 2 young kids and a wife that works 12 hour days doesn't happen too often.

Nontraining days I do it 3 hours after eating a meal that is p/f

Training days is after weights.

Don't think I would do it drastically

Comment

Ok had a crazy idea I'll share after reading SKIP's cardio cycling article. No idea how it would work and nothing to back it up but I'll try it someday.

3 days a week weights, full body waving volume up and down depending on the week

Week/cardio
        1 20min 5x week
        2 20min 5x week 2 sessions
        3 25min 5x week
        4 25min 5x week 2 sessions
        and so on

2 cardio sessions a day would have me doing 4 of them on my off days unless you were refeeding on of those days then it would only be 3 and 2 on training days but you get what I'm saying and I don't think you'd adapt too quick or I could be dead wrong but sometimes you have to hypothesize and test it out. HST Training would go well with this

Comment

Unless I'm training that day 5:00 AM, I like to hit it in the AM first thing!! Great way to burn fat and get it done.
          "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
            and I don't think you'd adapt too quick
            This is why I got a heart rate strap/monitor. My body will adapt quickly and for me to hit that target heart rate I need to switch things up. Sometimes its just a few tenths of a mph or a little more incline. If I did the same thing day in and day out withou monitoring, it would be a waste of my time.

Comment

I do 30 min ss cardio after my lift in the morning.

I also do hiit cardio at night (5min warmup, 15min intervals) after a p/f dinner.

Just started the hiit 3x/week last week, but I believe it gave the kickstart I was looking for.

I highly recommend giving it a go, as I hate cardio too, but find this approach very bearable.

Comment

EPO.

:typing:
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post

I have shit cardio (never do it). I want to be much better at it, for health reasons. I also think better cardio will help me up intensity in the gym (better oxygen utilization = more muscle endurance).
                  Increase cardio drastically ;-)

Obviously doing it gradually will help you to not lose too much strength.
                  -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                  -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                  198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

You don't have to go from no cardio to cardio beast to get the benefits in the gym. I've always noticed with myself and people that i've trained (especially those who had done no previous cardio) typically see a slight crossover in increased reps with doing as little as 30 min of intense cardio 4x / week.
                    Whatever your mind can conceive and believe, you can achieve!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirkmoneyshot View Post
                      You don't have to go from no cardio to cardio beast to get the benefits in the gym. as little as 30 min of intense cardio 4x / week.
                      For somebody doing no cardio that is quite a bit... assuming by intense you mean above 85% effort/max heart rate...
                      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

my current plan is to change my split from

Back
                        Chest/Shoulders
                        Legs
                        Arms
                        [Repeat - no rest days]

Back
                        Chest/Shoulders
                        Legs
                        Arms
                        Legs #2 (interval training Sprints for 30-45 minutes)
                        [repeat - no rest days]

So I'll go from no cardio to sprints every 5 days. Low frequency so it should not interfere with recovery. Since it's only once/5 days I chose sprints so that one session is intense.

After 4-6 weeks, I will probably add in another cardio session, probably one at a lower intensity and for longer time (jogging perhaps) to try and challenge my cardiovascular system in different ways.

How does this plan sound?

Comment

Alternatively I was also thinking of finishing my workouts with 10-15 minutes of barbell complexes. Do you guys like barbell complexes for conditioning?

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
                            my current plan is to change my split from

Back
                            Chest/Shoulders
                            Legs
                            Arms
                            [Repeat - no rest days]

Back
                            Chest/Shoulders
                            Legs
                            Arms
                            Legs #2 (interval training Sprints for 30-45 minutes)
                            [repeat - no rest days]

So I'll go from no cardio to sprints every 5 days. Low frequency so it should not interfere with recovery. Since it's only once/5 days I chose sprints so that one session is intense.

After 4-6 weeks, I will probably add in another cardio session, probably one at a lower intensity and for longer time (jogging perhaps) to try and challenge my cardiovascular system in different ways.

How does this plan sound?

That seems like a good plan. Personally I would still incorporate some 1 rest day/week though, otherwise you will likely get pretty worn down...

Comment

I definitely think that much training with that little rest combined with the added stress of some high intensity cardio is perfect recipe for overtraining.

You can't go full steam ahead in two different directions and expect reach each destination. If you want to emphasize cardio then back off the training. Add more rest days, drop volume/frequency, etc. Why if you are targeting cardio fitness do you even need an "arm day" anyway?

If training/size/strength is your priority then don't worry about the cardio and do the minimum to stay healthy and keep bodyfat at bay.

EDIT- You even referenced a link from EFS where someone improved cardiovascular health and fitness by focusing on it and backing off the weights!
                              Last edited by Adam2433; 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM.
                              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Working...
                              X