Leg's always sore/ not recovering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg's always sore/ not recovering

So for the past 3 gym sessions my legs have been heavy and tired even with rest days in between.

Is there any reason as to why my legs are not recovering as fast anymore? Today was bench day and I use the powerlifting stance so I push off with my legs and right now after 5 hrs my calves are heavy and my legs just feel ugly.

Is compressing and icing them the only thing I can do?

I do get enough rest, food, and don't put lots of strain on my legs either. Thanks guys.

My first thought(since I am experiencing this currently), is are you getting enough carbs to replenish the muscle? I recently cut carbs fairly dramatically and they literally feel like jello 24/7 now. Once my body adapts I assume it will be better. Do you work outside where you sweat a lot?
    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

When's the last time you took a break/cruise?
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Phoenix- Yes this might be a reason. I cut carbs down pretty low but I didn't think it would be a significant amount that would affect me this much..even now after compression and a full day of rest they still feel heavy although only when I try to sprint/run otherwise it's fine.

Roy- This might be another reason which I was thinking about today as well. It's been a while since I stopped for a full week to recover so if my legs still feel heavy by next Monday I will be taking the next week off.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by j0n020 View Post
          So for the past 3 gym sessions my legs have been heavy and tired even with rest days in between.

Is there any reason as to why my legs are not recovering as fast anymore? Today was bench day and I use the powerlifting stance so I push off with my legs and right now after 5 hrs my calves are heavy and my legs just feel ugly.

Is compressing and icing them the only thing I can do?

I do get enough rest, food, and don't put lots of strain on my legs either. Thanks guys.
          At least one of the things in bold is false.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Wait so you train legs (assuming pretty hard) AND sprint?

Assuming your diet/rest/supplementation is on point (and Sammich points out they may not be) maybe you're doing too much with the whole weight training + sprints.
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Sammich- Yes you are right I think everyone embellishes to an extent but I do try to at least get 80% of what I need in food,rest. I do agree I can get better at these sections though.

Theroy- yes I started not full hour sprinting sessions but on off days just a few quick sprints since I had the energy. But now my legs just feel tired. I was also adding a few minutes of box jumps to the off days because I felt like I hyperextended my calf muscle one day and it just hasn't felt the same since so I was trying to strengthen it.

I will take all this into consideration cut the sprints/box jumps(I'll be stopping those anyway) and try to increase my rest/food.

Again thank you for all the input into my problem guys it really helps.

Comment

I agree with the advice given, but I have a few questions:

What are your goals?

What does your training look like?

Here is some general advice that may help:

1. Ease into training when getting into a program.

2. Work on your General Physical Preparedness (GPP).

3. Start workout with foam rolling and active stretching, and end it with foam rolling and static stretching. My favorite tool for foam rolling is the Rumble Roller. You can get it here at a great price (10% discount for Intense Muscle)http://www.serioussteel.com/catalogs...=Rumble+Roller

4. Improve your peri workout nutrition. See Hormon's article for assistance: http://www.scottstevensonphd.com/Mea...cle2011Web.pdf

5. Depending on your training a light workout a few days later with the above mentioned stretching and foam rolling may improve recovery by removing waste products, but these workouts should be very easy, especially when you are already sore.
                Last edited by Doberman; 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM.
                1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Doberman- I heard that stretching beforehand made you weaker...or is that one of those things that everyone has an opinion on? I will try it out today since it's a workout day..I've never actually stretched or foam rolled before a workout though will be interesting.

Peri workout? What would be good just a scoop of BCaa's?

Comment

Sammich- Yes you are right I think everyone embellishes to an extent but I do try to at least get 80% of what I need in food,rest. I do agree I can get better at these sections though.
                    I wasn't suggesting that you were embellishing. It's just that the fact is if you were eating properly, resting properly, and not putting much of a load on your legs, then you would not be having recovery problems. Thus at least one of your premises is false. Now you may not realize which just yet, so it might be time to do some experimenting and/or reading to find .
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

Doberman- I heard that stretching beforehand made you weaker...or is that one of those things that everyone has an opinion on? I will try it out today since it's a workout day..I've never actually stretched or foam rolled before a workout though will be interesting.

Peri workout? What would be good just a scoop of BCaa's?

Active Stretching is different. This is basically taking a stretch through the range of motion. Here is an example that is easy on the eyes:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj94gfT2BEY[/YOUTUBE]

As far as stretching making you weaker there are a lot of opinions on this. It is based on a study where they put a rat in a stretched position for a long period of time. I don't recall how long, but it was a ridiculous amount of time and nothing close to what you would do with normal stretching. So I don't think any science has conclusively shown that normal stretching will make you weaker. On the other hand I like the analogy of stretching a rubber band that has been pulled from the freezer. So I opt for active stretching where you put the joint through a range of motion, with doesn't hold the stretch, and can aid in warming up.

As far as Peri Workout read the article for the best info on the subject. For me personally, I like a combination of Karboload and Pepto Pro. I start sipping that 10 minutes preworkout, sip it throughout the workout, and for about 5-10 minutes after to finish it off. Pre workout I like a protein/Carb/fat meal, and post workout (30-60 minutes later) I like a protein/carb meal. Once I nailed this my recovery was through the roof. I now train more often with more volume with little to no soreness.

Not bad for 39 year old.

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Good points Sammich

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          I wasn't suggesting that you were embellishing. It's just that the fact is if you were eating properly, resting properly, and not putting much of a load on your legs, then you would not be having recovery problems. Thus at least one of your premises is false. Now you may not realize which just yet, so it might be time to do some experimenting and/or reading to find .
                          No I understand, yes there is always room for improvement and will be looking at my schedule to see what I am slacking on that I don't notice. Thank you again.
                          Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                          Active Stretching is different. This is basically taking a stretch through the range of motion. Here is an example that is easy on the eyes:

As far as stretching making you weaker there are a lot of opinions on this. It is based on a study where they put a rat in a stretched position for a long period of time. I don't recall how long, but it was a ridiculous amount of time and nothing close to what you would do with normal stretching. So I don't think any science has conclusively shown that normal stretching will make you weaker. On the other hand I like the analogy of stretching a rubber band that has been pulled from the freezer. So I opt for active stretching where you put the joint through a range of motion, with doesn't hold the stretch, and can aid in warming up.

As far as Peri Workout read the article for the best info on the subject. For me personally, I like a combination of Karboload and Pepto Pro. I start sipping that 10 minutes preworkout, sip it throughout the workout, and for about 5-10 minutes after to finish it off. Pre workout I like a protein/Carb/fat meal, and post workout (30-60 minutes later) I like a protein/carb meal. Once I nailed this my recovery was through the roof. I now train more often with more volume with little to no soreness.

Not bad for 39 year old.
                          I liked the powered muscle and it was the only time I really tried a peri before, I usually go on an empty stomach. DO you think a scoop of whey in my pre would be beneficial to last me throughout the workout? I know only I can answer the question but still doesn't hurt to ask.

I will try out the foam rolling and active stretching before my workout this week and see if it makes an improvement.

Again thank you for all your info guys.

Comment

1 more question for the people reading the thread since I don't want to clutter the forum.

I was doing standing calf raises a while back and when I was doing them it felt like my left calf...got pulled or something it didn't hurt but I definitely felt something happen.

Since then it feels like in certain positions like the calf is going to tear a muscle or it's a pain and if I continue doing the movement it will hurt more. Anyone know what happened and how to fix this problem?

I don't think I tore the calf since I was able to walk and train the following days just like I said sporadic feeling of what I think is a tearing muscle in my calf in certain positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                              At least one of the things in bold is false.
                              Yep, yep... Eat more, sleep more....
                              If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                              http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                              2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                              2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Working...
                              X