Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio/ Calve pain

Hey guys,

not a very intense thread here, being it about cardio and such. After completing
    the two MISS sessions for the week. My calves/ lower legs are in pain. this happened quite a bit during the prep for my 1st contest, about one year ago. It got worse and worse as i did more cardio. Honestly i wasnt really prepared for that and i just grinded through, even though it sucked!!! i mostly did a mixture of incline treadmill, stepmil and towards the end, Eliptical.

This year i start my prep and so far ive done, 1 HIIT interval day on the bike, 2 MISS sessions on the elipictal. Although the 1st MISS session went fine, the 2nd one had my calves cramping up about 12 minutes in. I really need to adress this problem before it gets worse, and before i get into doing cardio every day.

Right now my thoughts are to switch to stationary bike, which basically has no impact on the lower legs(although i thought it would be that way with the elipitcal though)

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Let's_Grow View Post
    Hey guys,

not a very intense thread here, being it about cardio and such. After completing
    the two MISS sessions for the week. My calves/ lower legs are in pain. this happened quite a bit during the prep for my 1st contest, about one year ago. It got worse and worse as i did more cardio. Honestly i wasnt really prepared for that and i just grinded through, even though it sucked!!! i mostly did a mixture of incline treadmill, stepmil and towards the end, Eliptical.

This year i start my prep and so far ive done, 1 HIIT interval day on the bike, 2 MISS sessions on the elipictal. Although the 1st MISS session went fine, the 2nd one had my calves cramping up about 12 minutes in. I really need to adress this problem before it gets worse, and before i get into doing cardio every day.

Right now my thoughts are to switch to stationary bike, which basically has no impact on the lower legs(although i thought it would be that way with the elipitcal though)

Any ideas?

Have you talked to a doctor?

Can you do cardio in the off-season?
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
      Have you talked to a doctor?

Can you do cardio in the off-season?
      I didnt do any in the off season (it was my first off season and my coach suggested not doing any) I did however do some really low intensity fasted walks outside twice a week for a few months though.

im hoping this was kind of just a freak thing where my lower body was just a little too tight and i might of been a little dehydrated that day as well, causing me to tighten up. It kind of feels like the aftermath of a really bad charlie horse.

Im hoping switching to Bike will resolve these issues....haha its only machine left i can think of that has never caused me any problems

Comment

I did however do some really low intensity fasted walks outside twice a week for a few months though.
        How were these workout sessions? Did you feel any pain?
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
          How were these workout sessions? Did you feel any pain?
          no pain, it was just walking outside.

as long as im not in pain when i wake up tomorrow, ill try 30 mins on the bike and post back to say how it went.

Comment

Being in the medical field I have a suggestion. Take Motrin 400 mg to 800 mg approx 30 minutes before sessions and ice afterwards. The pain is likely due to the increase in lower body activity after not doing cardio in the offseason. Ensure you are consuming enough sodium and water. Ensure shoes are adequate ( not worn down) and you will likely be good to go. As always, and evaluation by a physician is best

Comment

Originally posted by DensitY View Post
              Being in the medical field I have a suggestion. Take Motrin 400 mg to 800 mg approx 30 minutes before sessions and ice afterwards. The pain is likely due to the increase in lower body activity after not doing cardio in the offseason. Ensure you are consuming enough sodium and water. Ensure shoes are adequate ( not worn down) and you will likely be good to go. As always, and evaluation by a physician is best
              thanks, i think you may onto something. I will give those suggestions a shot.

Comment

400-800 of Motrin every time he does cardio? That's not a good solution long term. Perhaps address the problem and fix it instead of covering it up...

The suggestions of hydration, electrolytes and shoes were all good. I have 2 additional questions...

Are you taking any stimulants, specifically Clen? And is this everyday of the week regardless of diet or is the pain worse following reefed/cheat meal days?

Clen has been known to cause debilitating pumps in calves/shins and just yesterday (day after reefed) I had to stop cardio for a second a few times due to the painful pumps in my calves/shins.

Hard to guess what it is as I don't really know how you are describing the pain or when it specifically occurs.
                Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                  400-800 of Motrin every time he does cardio? That's not a good solution long term. Perhaps address the problem and fix it instead of covering it up...

The suggestions of hydration, electrolytes and shoes were all good. I have 2 additional questions...

Are you taking any stimulants, specifically Clen? And is this everyday of the week regardless of diet or is the pain worse following reefed/cheat meal days?

Clen has been known to cause debilitating pumps in calves/shins and just yesterday (day after reefed) I had to stop cardio for a second a few times due to the painful pumps in my calves/shins.

Hard to guess what it is as I don't really know how you are describing the pain or when it specifically occurs.
                  Clen depletes taurine stores, they also have that leg cramp pill, no idea what's in it.

Comment

No stims what so ever, i think the case here was my calves cramped up badly due to dehydration.

Comment

Didnt have any cheat meals or refeeds last prep, or this one, yet

Comment

I was getting at the taurine depletion that Robb just mentioned as a potential cause.

I would say hydration level would be your most likely culprit at this point.

Side note: No stims (OTC) and no refeeds? Sure you don't want to rethink that plan as the inclusion of either let alone both would make prep so much more bearable and effective.

Comment

I was getting at the taurine depletion that Robb just mentioned as a potential cause.

I would say hydration level would be your most likely culprit at this point.

Side note: No stims (OTC) and no refeeds? Sure you don't want to rethink that plan as the inclusion of either let alone both would make prep so much more bearable and effective.
                          Shelby starnes does my diet, so its up to him...i was 15 weeks out saturday so no need for a refeed now...last year i did use an otc fat burner. At 15 weeks out and what id say to be around 10 percent body fat i dont need those things right now. Last year was crazy because i was way behind so i never really got à refeed.

Comment

Shelby starnes does my diet, so its up to him...i was 15 weeks out saturday so no need for a refeed now...last year i did use an otc fat burner. At 15 weeks out and what id say to be around 10 percent body fat i dont need those things right now. Last year was crazy because i was way behind so i never really got à refeed.
                            Say no more. You're in good hands.

Comment

Have you consulted with Shelby about your cramps? If I were you, that would be where I would start, especially with a competition on the horizon. A coach can't do their job if the client doesn't make them aware of any issues.
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X