Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milos Sarcev & giant sets

From an interview with former IFBB Pro Milos Sarcev

Milos: Yes, it is controversial if you accept what exercise physiology as a science dictates: “In order to create muscle hypertrophy we need to train intensely and during the workout deplete our muscle glycogen storage, ATP and damage the muscle fibers thus creating micro tears of the muscle fibers we train. That shock to our muscular system will initiate a hypertrophic response – as our body will recognize the nutrient loss (glucose, amino acids and ATP) and several hours after the training will send all the available nutrients to replenish what was lost and repair the damage.”

If we throw our body out of natural balance or so called homeostasis our body will respond with super-compensation, storing more nutrients than what was previously there to be prepared for another eventual shock, or intense training session.

When I told this to my father, he immediately laughed telling me sarcastically: “Of course Mishko (my nickname) why not? You want to help me break our house down to the ground?”

I didn’t understand what he meant.

So he said: “Well, if exercise physiology tells you guys to break your house (body) down so you will have the chance to rebuild it each and every day you train, why don’t we do the same with our own house and just later build another one… and then another… and another… etc.”

He got my attention with that analogy so I started asking many questions and in short he explained to me that if I train with that conventional wisdom of breaking down the muscle fibers and depleting it from all available nutrients – I am driving my body into a highly catabolic state.

Catabolism can be considered as destructive metabolism, which is an unhealthy state of the body. “Why on Earth would anyone want to drive their body into a highly catabolic state each and every day? What sense does that make? You want to build the body? Create anabolism – or constructive metabolism and muscle hypertrophy, not the opposite!”

So back then in 1981 when I started bodybuilding I accepted from my father what sounded logical to me even then. I call it the ‘Hyperemia Advantage’, which is used to create a maximal anabolic environment that will enable you to achieve maximal hypertrophy.

So here is rationale behind it. Men have about 5L of blood and women have about 4L distributed all over the body which is constantly circulating around. In a state of rest at maximum about 10 -12 % of that blood finds its way in to our skeletal muscles, as there is no real physiological demand at the time of a low physical activity period. However, when we become active, blood is sent to our working muscles… and that increased blood flow to exercising muscles (Hyperemia) can achieve an astonishing 60% increase in blood flow or more during weight training. This happens ONLY during the workout!

So as my father suggested, if I supply all the necessary anabolic nutrients in a pre-digested form (e.g; ATP, glucose, amino acids etc) into the blood stream right before training and then continue delivering more of the same nutrients during my training session whilst raising the most anabolic hormone in our body – insulin – I will create an immediate and maximal anabolic environment.

So instead of loosing nutrients (protein degradation or catabolism) we are creating a greater nutritional uptake by our muscle cells (protein synthesis or anabolism) and simultaneously preventing anti-catabolism… everything we need to great the maximal results we are after. So we need to remember that we only have this opportunity during training, not before or after as blood will not be in the muscle to this extent.

It doesn’t make sense to send an empty plane from Sydney to LAX with no passengers on it does it? So why send empty blood through the working muscle, when you have unique opportunity to insert all these nutrients into our cells?

Needless to say I have used this principle with ALL my IFBB professional athletes and every single one of them exploded with new muscle growth… and we are talking about seasoned pros, already overly developed physiques that had already reached a plateau and at that stage every little improvement is practically celebrated".

(The complete interview can be found here: http://cleanhealth.com.au/interview-...-milos-sarcev/)

And here's a clip of him doing a giant (never-ending) set for the back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbImyQwLUDk
    titanium_spine
    Lightweight Member
    Last edited by titanium_spine; 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM.

Very Interesting, wonder what skip has to say or if he does

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
      Very Interesting, wonder what skip has to say or if he does
      Lots of stuff on pre & intra nutrition lately. I know since I've switched my protocol (including the pre/intra vs not), I'm seeing better workouts, more complete recovery, and (I think) better strength gains.

I fear carbs a lot less pre/intra/post, that's for sure.
      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Milos is the first guy (that i know of) that started talking about feeding pre/intra/post workout. The intra part was especially new, different....at the time i remember thinking it was bit overkill. He also (like Homon) talked about building up the tolerance to intra workout nutrition....to the point where it was pretty monstrous shakes that included pretty much everything but the kitchen sink.

at the time i think he was limited by hte supplement technology and what was available.
        If you arent going to go with major caloric surplus (at which poin the pre/intra/post) probably isnt nearly as imprtant then the his ideas seem pretty valid.
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

btw i just ordered Optimums 2-1-1 to use as a intra shake....its definitely not cutting edge but its got some waxy, hydrolysate and some whey iso.

i will start cutting monday in an effort to get leaner (ok and to make the 181 cut for July 7) and pre/intra nutrition will be more important as overall calories go down slightly.
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Nutrition aside, I can tell you from experience that his giant set protocol will give you the most excruciating DOMS you will ever experience in your life.

Comment

can someone post a link to an example workout of giant sets? i wouldnt mind trying a rotation here and there in my training... I love high volume/lighter weight stuff

Comment

This guy had the best physique going around in the early 90's.

Keifer and the whole CBL crew are big into intra training nutrition as well with hydrolyzed whey and leucine.

Look forward to hearing what Skip thinks....
                "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

Working...
                X