Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

34 yr old body isn't responding like it used to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34 yr old body isn't responding like it used to...

The title says it all.

Nowadays, the gym is simply a tool for me to blow off steam and let my brain reform from it's jelly-like state after my workday (desk job...40-50 hours per week). I still hit it hard 3X a week (push/legs/pull), but my growing days are numbered. I'm sure there are "tools" that would extend the timeframe, but I haven't gone that route for various reasons.

Although I've shifted my mindset in the past couple years, my body hasn't been able to respond like I wanted it to. My goal is to get down to a reasonably lean condition (10%) and then maintain between 10%-12% after that. I'm tired of carrying around the mass. Lighter & leaner is what I want. Heck, I'm even willing to let some of the muscle mass go if it gets me there. I just want head-off this issue before it gets REALLY difficult.

I'm a big fan of Skiploading and I use it every time I decide to drop fat. (I've never worked directly with Skip though.)

I'm currently 255 lbs....WAY too heavy for my liking. I'd like to be at least in the 225-230 range.....a little lower if possible. However, my body fights tooth & nail once I get to about 250 lbs. I've trained it for 16 years to be as large as possible.....it doesn't want to change the status-quo.

One area that is frustrating is my calorie intake. My calories usually end up much lower than what I would call "normal". They range from about 2400 on training days to about 2000 on nontraining days. For someone with about 200 lbs of LBM, this just seems abnormally low, even if I'm 34.

With that intake, hunger really hits me hard. In fact, once I start plateauing, the hunger starts to outweigh everything else....and I give in. I could see it if I was getting close to my goal, but not this early.

Cardio - I usually end up doing about 4-5 30 minute AM cardio sessions (fasted) per week. Nothing fancy.

For those of you who are older.....does this seem normal? I'm just having a hard time justifying such a low intake.

Yes, hiring someone like Skip would be a great idea.....always wanted to do it. However, I don't have the extra cash lying around, so I'm doing it myself.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

ill be 44 in october. ithink your way too young to totally give way to "maintenence training". Having said that i dont think you problem is age i think your just too fat.

If your 255 and LBM is 200 then your carrying 55lbs of fat?? just too much. My top weight was about 225lbs and that was probably 15-18%bf. Nowadays i walk aorund at around 190-193lbs and compete in PL'ing as a 181'er. A far cry from my big boy days....Thing is when i was younger i could eat and gain muscle at a really good clip and the fat was distributed so evenly that i nver really looked that fat....now if i eat too many calories it goes all to my waist/belly and i can look much fat even at a lower bodyfat %..jsut part of aging.

i dont miss my stomach always sticking out because i was basically always full. even when cutting for a meet i eat pretty light all day and then have a pretty big dinner i trian early morning in a fasted state so i never bonk out during a session from lack of calories....if i dont have a heavy session the next AM my dinner is lighter...
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

5sbe - I am 38 years young :-) I have worked with Skip for 6-months two years ago. He did get me into the best shape in my 30's

The last couple of years I was massing and got up to around 240lbs. I started doing cardio in late Feb. and reducing calories smartly. I guess I would call this a recomp. I am still following the protocols I learned from Skip. This week I bumped cardio to 5X week for 40mins, when that stalls 6X 40mins, then 6X 60 mins. Lots of options still available. I am also manipulating carbs during the day. Now I am having carbs every day for lunch, and on WO days for breakfast and PWO. Fruits are my weakness and I have a few with dinner only. Skipload Sunday's like a freak :-) I too train 3X week and am natural. Weight was down to 223.4lbs yesterday morning. Skip got me down to 200lbs when he worked with me... so I have ways to go, but I am in no rush. Didn't get like this over night so don't expect to drop weight over night either. I am 6'2" tall. Lifts are still improving in the gym, I am happy!
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I'm 38 and am loving my current 4 day a week training. Some time ago the aches and pains of the heavy lifts started to add up so I just increased the reps and really slowed stuff down, 1 yr later and I am now approaching the same weights but with the higher rep and slow cadence.

At your age I too thought I was at my best, I am now far better. Happy to describe what I have changed in more detail here or in a PM. I too am natural. I do shift work, have kids etc. I do something similar to the 3 way split but it is not DC as I couldn't handle DC with work shifts.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Last edited by Petros; 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

bad point Herc....
            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
            17 AAU Super Total
            '16-AAU Hi
            '15-USPA Metro
            '15-USPA State
            '15-AAU HI
            '14-AAU HI
            '14-USPA Metro
            '14-WABDL Sonny's
            '14-USPA State
            '14-HI Strongman
            '13-USPA
            '13-WABDL Sonny's
            '13-USPA State
            '13-AAU HI
            '11-USPA Metro
            '10-NPC Stingrey
            '09-NPC Islands
            '09-NPC Stingrey
            '09-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA IronWorks
            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
            '01-ABA Olympia
            '01-ABA Islands
            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
            '00-INBF Musclefest
            '98-NGA Ill
            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

It is not legal in my country and I am a police officer.

The reality is that I cannot do anything that I may have to arrest someone for, it just would not sit right. Have I ever arrested anyone for steroids - only once.

Do I know others on steroids, possibly yes, they are just not blatant about it.

In my police service they can target test any officer for drugs ie he looks too big and ripped to be a natty lets test him. They got about 5 guys last year for that and that means loss of job and even your super can be taken back by the government.

After any critical incident like you have a crash or shoot your gun they will test your blood for all substances and can get you here too.

I have no personal moral or ethical feelings against AAS but also worry about the health and blood work is not so easy to get done either in a country where you are asking for someone to check the levels of your blood after you have been doing something not legal.

If it was legal and your health checks could be done then likely I would have gone that route earlier but if the law changed now I think that I would more likely still not do them.

I have managed to get pretty big focusing on diet and food and though not huge can certainly hold my own. In most gyms I have been to I am amongst the bigger guys.

After people get to know me and have done some workouts with me and seen me eat healthy all the time they say shit like " You really never have done steroids have you." They realize that training 20 plus years adds up and had assumed up to then that I must be on them.
              Last edited by SAHD; 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM.
              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
              Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
              ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
                Just curious but is their any reason everyone here has not experimented with AAS?
                Malaka!
                Last edited by LG1; 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  ill be 44 in october. ithink your way too young to totally give way to "maintenence training". Having said that i dont think you problem is age i think your just too fat.

If your 255 and LBM is 200 then your carrying 55lbs of fat?? just too much. My top weight was about 225lbs and that was probably 15-18%bf. Nowadays i walk aorund at around 190-193lbs and compete in PL'ing as a 181'er. A far cry from my big boy days....Thing is when i was younger i could eat and gain muscle at a really good clip and the fat was distributed so evenly that i nver really looked that fat....now if i eat too many calories it goes all to my waist/belly and i can look much fat even at a lower bodyfat %..jsut part of aging.

i dont miss my stomach always sticking out because i was basically always full. even when cutting for a meet i eat pretty light all day and then have a pretty big dinner i trian early morning in a fasted state so i never bonk out during a session from lack of calories....if i dont have a heavy session the next AM my dinner is lighter...
                  Well, I've never been in "stage condition" before so estimating my LBM is completely a guess. I only carry it around my lower back and stomach.....by no means do I look fat. In fact, I see an outline of all my abs in the mornings....so maybe I'm being a little hard on myself. My avatar is from a time when I was about 255 as well. BUT.....I agree.....I am carrying way too much fat. I appreciate the honesty!

I wouldn't say that I'm just maintaining yet......I still hit it hard 3X week. But, I have no desire to pack on any more muscle....I just want to clean up what I have.

I'm sure I could eek out a few lean pounds every year, but at this point, I'm not sure if it's worth the wear & tear.

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                  5sbe - I am 38 years young :-) I have worked with Skip for 6-months two years ago. He did get me into the best shape in my 30's

The last couple of years I was massing and got up to around 240lbs. I started doing cardio in late Feb. and reducing calories smartly. I guess I would call this a recomp. I am still following the protocols I learned from Skip. This week I bumped cardio to 5X week for 40mins, when that stalls 6X 40mins, then 6X 60 mins. Lots of options still available. I am also manipulating carbs during the day. Now I am having carbs every day for lunch, and on WO days for breakfast and PWO. Fruits are my weakness and I have a few with dinner only. Skipload Sunday's like a freak :-) I too train 3X week and am natural. Weight was down to 223.4lbs yesterday morning. Skip got me down to 200lbs when he worked with me... so I have ways to go, but I am in no rush. Didn't get like this over night so don't expect to drop weight over night either. I am 6'2" tall. Lifts are still improving in the gym, I am happy!
                  Oh, I have no illusions about the timeframe. I expect this to be at least a 6-8month journey. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Hiring Skip would be awesome, I agree. I tend to second guess myself ALOT when it comes to dieting, so this part of the equation would be eliminated. However, like I said, it's not possible at this point. Plus, it's not like I'm trying to get into a ridiculous condition.....after all the years I've done this, I should be able to get down to a reasonable level by myself. If I get there, maybe then I'll see if Skip could take me the rest of the way.

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                  I'm 38 and am loving my current 4 day a week training. Some time ago the aches and pains of the heavy lifts started to add up so I just increased the reps and really slowed stuff down, 1 yr later and I am now approaching the same weights but with the higher rep and slow cadence.

At your age I too thought I was at my best, I am now far better. Happy to describe what I have changed in more detail here or in a PM. I too am natural. I do shift work, have kids etc. I do something similar to the 3 way split but it is not DC as I couldn't handle DC with work shifts.
                  I'm actually getting better & better each year, doing exactly what you described. Right now, I'm carrying more quality muscle than ever before. It's just not a goal of mine right now. Don't get me wrong, I'll take gains in LBM if they come, but I have so many other commitments in life that I'd be happy to just hang onto what I have right now.

Just curious but is their any reason everyone here has not experimented with AAS?
                  Seriously? I come on here to ask about diet advice and your solution is AAS?
                  Last edited by 5spotbullseye; 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I guess my main concern is that is it normal to have to drop calories this low to get results? It just seems awfully low. I mean, if that's what it takes, so be it. I just don't want to damage my metabolism. I tend to get frustrated when I'm low on calories and the mirror/scale isn't showing conclusive progress. Perhaps it's just a matter of staying the course and being patient.

I also have to start considering expanding my upper limit on cardio work as well. I don't think I've pushed this far enough in the past.

I've started a few journals on here in the past, but I'm HORRIBLE at keeping up with postings. Now that we finally have high speed internet in our area, maybe I'll start one. (Yes, we've only had dial-up available up until about 3 months ago.) This might add some accountability.

Comment

yes, my calories are low like yours approx. during the week but then there is the Skip load :-) And, yes, you may consider keeping calories same or bumpring them up but then also increasing your cardio.
                      Don't 2nd guess yourself. Seems like you have a clue, just do it and go from there... commmit and execute and re-evaluate....

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                        yes, my calories are low like yours approx. during the week but then there is the Skip load :-) And, yes, you may consider keeping calories same or bumpring them up but then also increasing your cardio.
                        Don't 2nd guess yourself. Seems like you have a clue, just do it and go from there... commmit and execute and re-evaluate....
                        Skiploads are awesome.....until meal #2!

Although it kicks my butt, keeping direct sources of carbs out of my diet through the week (except for PWO and the Skipload) seems to yield the best, and most consistent results. I hate the lack energy and the mood swings, but it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post
                          Skiploads are awesome.....until meal #2!

I know what you mean. That's why i rotate my meals between weet & savory :roll:

Comment

Troll

Comment

You caught me space boy
                              Originally posted by Space Monkey View Post
                              Troll
                              Last edited by Petros; 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X