How can i incorporate rest pause into my routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i incorporate rest pause into my routine

obviously, it isn't DC, but how could i use rest pause in a upper/lower split

Depends on the volume. You aren't going to get as much out of a RP set if you do a couple of exercises for the same body part beforehand. Yeah, it will fatigue it immensely, but would you be getting the most out of the RP set?

It also depends on how you plan on using it. Will you do other exercises for that bodypart? If you do want to use it as a "finisher" and aren't as concerned with getting really strong and beating the logbook on that exercise, then putting it at the end isn't a bad idea IMO. But one thing I would be leery of would be too much volume beforehand if you are truly doing a RP set with DC intensity. After a couple of weeks it can beat the piss out of you.

If that is your sole exercise for a given bodypart, then pick a good exercise and beat the logbook with it week in and week out, but I would not be RPing every exercise in that kind of split by any means. Maybe just one lagging bodypart or something to that tune.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I ususally do a heavy press, with 3x6-8 followed by a a "stretching" exercise like flies for a set of 15-20 with slow negatives to control the weight. Could I just RP the heavy press and not rotate the movement until I actually stall out with it? And instead of the flies, just d chest stretch?

Comment

So basically do a DC style exercise/stretch pattern only for one exercise and go with volume on the other exercises?

First, let me ask how long you've been training, your physical stats, experience with various training methods, some of the weights you use for main exercises, and any experience working with a coach or trainer?

It is just that when incorporating RP training into a volume split you can get carried away and burn out fast.

How many days per week would you RPin each body part? Which body parts would you RP? Why do you feel the need to incorporate RP training into an upper/lower split?
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          So basically do a DC style exercise/stretch pattern only for one exercise and go with volume on the other exercises?

yes. but the volume was 2 sets heavy set, and no back off pump set.

First, let me ask how long you've been training, your physical stats, experience with various training methods, some of the weights you use for main exercises, and any experience working with a coach or trainer?

1.5 years, 5'10'' 220 was my heaviest, cut down to 190 at 11% or so. usually did legs/push/pull or upper/lower, last working set was 245 for 3x8-12 on incline, 405x8-12 squat, 500x6-8 deadlift, no coach though i might just hire Scott S in the future to help me do DC protocol correctly.

It is just that when incorporating RP training into a volume split you can get carried away and burn out fast.

How many days per week would you RPin each body part? Which body parts would you RP? Why do you feel the need to incorporate RP training into an upper/lower split?

Anyway... i tried it for a couple weeks, and as each workout progressed my energy was destroyed for the other stuff. It occurred to me that if I'm gonna do an RP set, its gonna take every single ounce of effort i put into 3x8-12, and channel that into 3 "mini sets" failure. Well, doing that kinda crashed my progression on my other stuff, so i went back to volume for the time being... though i can see how a program like DC can work brutally well for those that are mentally and physically prepared for it.

Upper:

Incline Bench: 11-15RP
          BB Shoulder Press: 2x6-8
          Dips: 2x10-15
          Barbell Row: 2x8-12
          Curls: 2x8-12

Comment

Originally posted by KJensen View Post
            Anyway... i tried it for a couple weeks, and as each workout progressed my energy was destroyed for the other stuff. It occurred to me that if I'm gonna do an RP set, its gonna take every single ounce of effort i put into 3x8-12, and channel that into 3 "mini sets" failure. Well, doing that kinda crashed my progression on my other stuff, so i went back to volume for the time being... though i can see how a program like DC can work brutally well for those that are mentally and physically prepared for it.
            At least you learned from it... Exactly as you stated, when you are both physically and mentally ready for an intense program like DC, it works exceptionally well.

Scott doesn't just work with folks on DC and he can likely help get you to the stage where you can use DC effectively faster than you would on your own.... and as you can see from his recent video, he practices what he preaches.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

KJ-

I call bullsh*it

so youve been training 18 months and squatting 405x8-12 and pulling 500x6-8?
              thats a 550-570 max squat and a 620 max dead.....

if youve got a 600+ pull why the f*ck are you asking for advice??

when i see video proof ill beleive it, until then i call shenanigans
              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
              17 AAU Super Total
              '16-AAU Hi
              '15-USPA Metro
              '15-USPA State
              '15-AAU HI
              '14-AAU HI
              '14-USPA Metro
              '14-WABDL Sonny's
              '14-USPA State
              '14-HI Strongman
              '13-USPA
              '13-WABDL Sonny's
              '13-USPA State
              '13-AAU HI
              '11-USPA Metro
              '10-NPC Stingrey
              '09-NPC Islands
              '09-NPC Stingrey
              '09-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA IronWorks
              '01-NPC Paradise Cup
              '01-ABA Olympia
              '01-ABA Islands
              '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
              '00-INBF Musclefest
              '98-NGA Ill
              '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                KJ-

I call bullsh*it

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  KJ-

I call bullsh*it

Please do not take what I'm about to say as my supporting KJ or backing him up.

Last year, I hit pulls of 585 and 610 at a body weight of sub 190lbs...I'm 5'11" or so, drug free, and have been training about 6 years. I can post the videos of both as I do have them.

I mainly "lurk" on this site to gain info as there aren't many other places as good or better than Intense Muscle to learn. While I do not post actively seeking advice, I do in fact read and absorb as much as possible because I know down the road, I will have most of the answers to my questions.

I did in fact give DC a go last year for 3 blasts and quickly discovered that while I thought I was ready and others here agreed, I was not quite there yet. My body was me tally and physically able to do what it needed to do on back thickness, hamstring, and quad movements; however, the rest I was just not ready for. I have since gone back to the drawing board to prime the rest of my body as well as my mind to give DC another chance, which more than likely will be in the fall after my first contest.

KJ, the only thing I would recommend to you is to be as honest with yourself as possible and READ, READ, READ!

Comment

^^^^ There's a big difference between 6 years of training and 1.5. I think the Irishman is alluding to that aspect of the claim.
                    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                      ^^^^ There's a big difference between 6 years of training and 1.5. I think the Irishman is alluding to that aspect of the claim.
                      I was referring to the point of a 600lb puller asking for advice; however, I may have been completely mistaken and if he was referring to the duration of training I do apologize.

Comment

• fitlover 71.225.120.2
                        • Goku 71.225.120.2
                        • JaredWoot 71.225.120.2
                        • KJensen 71.225.120.2
                        • mrb1g 71.225.120.2
                        • vkk 71.225.120.2
                        • Xscape 71.225.120.2
                        Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                          • fitlover 71.225.120.2
                          • Goku 71.225.120.2
                          • JaredWoot 71.225.120.2
                          • KJensen 71.225.120.2
                          • mrb1g 71.225.120.2
                          • vkk 71.225.120.2
                          • Xscape 71.225.120.2
                          Still/again??

Jesus, move on already. Shit has gone from annoying to creepy.
                          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                            Still/again??

Jesus, move on already. Shit has gone from annoying to creepy.
                            He's a persistent tool to say the least lol
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Great job Heck!
                              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                              17 AAU Super Total
                              '16-AAU Hi
                              '15-USPA Metro
                              '15-USPA State
                              '15-AAU HI
                              '14-AAU HI