Building the quads near the knee without machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the quads near the knee without machines

I'm looking for ways to improve quad size at the knees, without access to machines like leg extensions or hack squats.

Back squats work my hips and upper thighs but the muscle near the knees is pathetic. I need to bring it up. I'd like to do deep hacks and leg extensions but don't have access to those machines.

Suggestions? My only thoughts are front squats as deep as possible, high bar back squats as deep as possible, and single leg stuff like split squats.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

googled leg extension exercises:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...ell-exercises/
    Joe

Contest History:
    2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
    2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
    2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
    2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
    2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
    2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Comment

Originally posted by ProtoBuilder View Post
      I'm looking for ways to improve quad size at the knees, without access to machines like leg extensions or hack squats.

Back squats work my hips and upper thighs but the muscle near the knees is pathetic. I need to bring it up. I'd like to do deep hacks and leg extensions but don't have access to those machines.

Suggestions? My only thoughts are front squats as deep as possible, high bar back squats as deep as possible, and single leg stuff like split squats.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
      You nailed it - high bar olympic squats and front squats, both done deep, will accomplish what you want. High step-ups, where the top of your knee is above the top of your hip when you support your foot on the platform, can be good as well, but you probably don't need to go too crazy with variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Big R View Post
        You nailed it - high bar olympic squats and front squats, both done deep, will accomplish what you want. High step-ups, where the top of your knee is above the top of your hip when you support your foot on the platform, can be good as well, but you probably don't need to go too crazy with variety.
        I second this.. I do not squat heavy but I go down as far as my ass being as low as my ankles and my quads are pretty well developed overall compared to others squatting twice as much going to parallel.

Comment

barbell hacks...I even found Dusty doing them, hehe...

Max Muscle
          5020 Katella Ave.
          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I used to use extension machines but took a whole year off from all machines period. I ended up only doing front squats, high barbell squats (both ATG), and dumbbell step ups for legs. I gained size. Good luck!
            500 deadlift, 305 bench, 360 ATG squat

PR Products: setprsnow.com

Custom myofacial relase rollers
            Add weight to existing dumbbells

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              barbell hacks...I even found Dusty doing them, hehe...

Something about that picture doesnt look right...

Comment

Working...
              X