Clear All

• Volume of Training: Quality vs Quantity

Interesting article...

http://www.trainedbyjp.com/volume-of...y-vs-quantity/

Sounds like bastardized DC version, no?
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

LG1, that was my first thought. The only problem that I have with the article is that it implies that there is only one way to train, i.e. low volume, but as we've seen higher volume routines can work as well. The keys is training experience, and nutritional strategy.

Training Experience- If you don't have the experience and don't have the nervous system maturity for it, Low volume routines like DC are going to be a waste of time, but on the flip side if you don't have the experience a high volume routine can have similar issues. If you are mentally in the workout form can break down as fatigue sets in. This is where building your GPP comes into play and having the where with all to hit your cues as you work through each rep. So either way a beginner or intermediate may need to build maximum strength over a period of time in order to be ready for DC, and in order to be ready for a volume routine someone would need to build there GPP with incremental increases in volume.

Nutritional Support- The other point is that you need have your nutrition support your training. If you are doing high volume routine you may need to alter your strategy from what you may use with a routine like DC. For instance if you are doing high volume you are probably not going to benefit from a lower carb intake.

This is just me thinking out loud on the fly. Who knows I may be wrong. I try not to pretend to be all knowing. It seems the more I know in this sport the more I realize I don't know crap.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

For the sake of argument I'm putting DC and this routine Into the HIT category. I think the reason hit caught on so much is becuase guys were doing HIGH volume and even HIGH frequency workouts, then when they gave HIT a shot their strength sky rocketed. The conclusion many people made wws hit is superior. Unfortunately those huge gains are short lived and your body adapt but people hang on to those beginner gains and stick with hit. IMO for natural people cycling between a DC type routine and volume routine works pretty dam good. Something like 2-3 blasts then 6-8 weeks of volume then back to DC. This enables you to gain strength on a regular basis and still get that volume in.

Comment

I would have to agree Mach. Again, though what type of workout depends on the status of the trainee. If someone is just 6 months into training I'd lean toward a beginner hypertrophy routine for a period and then a maximum strength routine like 5x5. After they've proven they can really push hard I'd say DC may be appropriate, but if they wanted to push volume then I would slowly ramp it up, monitor recovery and adapt nutrition accordingly. Either way I'd direct these people to Skip or Scott as they are well suited for when people get to the advanced level. You can always experiment on your own, but I've found that this can result in a loss of time and money. Not to sound like and advertisement, but the investment in any knowledgable coach is beyond valuable even if you think you know what you are doing.

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            Sounds like bastardized DC version, no?
            Yes, it seams to be...

Only the split is different (I've read this in another article from the same author):

1) chest, delts, triceps
            2) back, biceps
            3) off
            4) legs
            5) off

Comment

Hey Doberman agree with everything you said. For beginners low volume with frequent workouts with progressive overload is optimal, lol I don't even think that's debatable. Once they transition into the intermediate phase I think it's time to do some experimenting. For me I've found once a week 12-16 working sets just doesn't do it. 3 on 1 off Is my goto workout when transitioning out of dc into volume. I need more frequency. Maybe tnats Just me but mostly everything I read seems to say Naturals need more frequency ( which in turn cuts down volume ) I agree hiring someone is great but I think trying things for yourself is ideal and seeing what works. I've found what works for me and what doesn't. Tnat info and experience is priceless. Now if you have no idea about routines and understand how volume effects frequency and intensity it's def better to hire someone . If your an educated person on this board i say do some reesearch and apply it , see what happens. As long as ur training hard losing a month to a routine that doesn't fit you isn't that bad. Who knows maybe in a year ill try a standard volume routine and it will due wonders. I think the biggest mistake people make is sticking with things tnats aren't working just becuae it's what they then their "supposed" to be doing
              Last edited by MachMood; 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I am obviously no DC expert, but watching Dusty, Jason Wojo videos etc. i think depending on the warm-up sets prior to the rest/pause and/or straight sets, DC could be considered higher volume. Perhaps not high volume per se, but something between HIT and high volume.
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by titanium_spine View Post
                  Yes, it seams to be...

Only the split is different (I've read this in another article from the same author):

1) chest, delts, triceps
                  2) back, biceps
                  3) off
                  4) legs
                  5) off
                  Could you please post a link to that other article. Thanks.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

Comment

Machmood, I agree with the idea of experimenting, but if someone has never worked with an experienced coach they may not have the knowledge base necessary. Working with someone can open your mind to different avenues of training and diet.

Good point LG1. I think Dorian's routines were similar, where, although he did 1 work set you would do as many warm ups as necessary to get to that point. I also think he prescribed 2 sets for some people if they couldn't generate the force necessary in one set.

Truenutrition.com
                    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Hey Doberman I know what your saying. These guys have been doing this stuff forever and why waster time doing stuff they've already tried but in reality this stiff isn't complicated. Taking out all the "fancy stuff", its just volume vs frequency. I know it didn't take me very long to figure out what type of volume/frequency I needed. Once you understand how your body reacts to these variables , and like i said your educated about deloads, periodization, over reaching, deconditionimg Etc you are more then capable of doing alil research and trying stuff out to see what works for you. I remember when I started training I did the usual bro split once a week and it just didn't feel right. I felt like I should be working out each muscle more. I went out and read the forums online and blindly just gave some routines a chance. If I didn't like them I tried another. Througout this time I read everything I could about periodization, how routines work etc. I now went from blindly following routines to actually thinking about what's going on and finding a good routine. I found DC, it actually worked and I've never looked back( I still train with higher frequency and mostly manipulate volume). Anyway this journey has made me so much more knowledgable I have this knowledge for life. Maybe hiring a coach could of gotten me here quicker, but I see plenty of coaches have beginner guys on a once a week split doing 12-16 sets per muscle group once a week and its such a disservice to their clients. The client doesn't really learn on his own because he just does what his coach says . For me I see what a lot of peopel are advocating and what people do In my gym and so many people are wasting time and spinning their wheels. I live in a very small beach town. It's actually an island. It's basically the same 10-15 guys every day in a beat up old gym. I started a news letter that I would post up once every few weeks about this stuff and guys are like wtf I've been doing the same bench press weight for a year , I deloaded for a week, then cut my volume In half and doubled my frequncy and I added 30lbs in 3 weeks. A lot of people don't research or try and learn, I guess these people would benefit from a coach, but I deaf advocate going out and learning for yourself
                      Last edited by MachMood; 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X