Experimental Arm Workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Arm Workout

After finishing up a 12 week MD training cycle I've been experimenting during my cruise week. Most of my arm workouts focus around "the pump". I tend to focus more on strength gains for the compound movements and major muscle groups. Remember this is not Mountain Dog. I don't want anyone confusing it as such, and I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to train anyone or get business. That is for the pros like SKip and Scott. I was just interested in feed back or how it went after trying it.. So with that in mind here is the arm workout that I've been messing with:

DB Curls

Pronated Curls (palms down)- These will be done one arm at a time with a 10-12 rm maximum. You will hold the dumbbells the entire way through this. Do one arm for 10 reps, squeeze at the top. Repeat with the other arm. Go back to the original arm. Try to get 10 reps. Repeat with the other arm for the same amount of reps as you just did. If you didn't get 10 reps drop to 8. Keep repeating this until you get to 2 reps....

While still holding the dumbbells repeat this process with supinated curls (palms up)....

Again while stillholding the db's repeat one last time with neutral curls (hammer grip)....

Move on to Triceps

Banded extensions

supinated grip (palms up)- Hold both arms in the contracted position, then pump out 10-12 reps with the right arm. Put it back in the contracted position and repeat 10-12 reps with the left arm. Try to squeeze on the contraction. Keep the same pattern as you did for biceps. Once your down to 2 reps move on to...

Pronated (palms down) Repeat the process again then....

Neutral Grip (hammer Grip) Repeat one last time. Remember keep the other arm contracted while the working arm is moving.

At this point your arms should look like someone inflated them like a balloon, but your not done!

Back to Biceps:

Banded Curls- This time instead of squeezing do fast pumping style reps. Only rest 20 seconds between sets and do a total of 4 sets. Stop the set when you can't be explosive. Keep the rep range between 8-12 reps.

Then move back to Triceps:

Close Hand position Push-ups- With hands closer than shoulder width do 12 reps, but pause in the bottom position for 2 seconds. Rest 20 seconds between sets and do a total of 4 sets.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Those extensions sound PAINFUL.

When you say banded, are you talking about using a band or adding one to a machine?
    TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Just adding one to the top of a power rack. They give a nice cramping/tearing feeling. But take a before and after pic after doing them and I think you'll be happy.

I use the blue bands from Serious Steel. I know I'm the advertising manager and all, but I really get a lot of use out of bands. Whether it is using them for reverse banded bench, or adding resistance to a machine, or pull aparts for rear delts, or using them for stretching I seem to be using them for at least one exercise each training session.

I should mention that I stretch the crap out of the muscle at the end of the workout. I don't know if you can really stretch the muscle fascia, but if there is a way this should do the trick.

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I did chain work a few times for bi's and tri's. I found that I got a bigger pump, tore them up quicker and just overall better results.

The two exercises that I would strap chains on we're skull crushers and barbell curls.
        I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

Love chain work. As far as arms go I've only done them on skulls, but I think I'm going to throw them in on curls as well. The nice thing about chains is that they don't seem to burn you out as quick as bands.

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
            Love chain work. As far as arms go I've only done them on skulls, but I think I'm going to throw them in on curls as well. The nice thing about chains is that they don't seem to burn you out as quick as bands.
            Im a sucker as well. I get stupid looks whenever I pull them out of my bag and a ton of questions. It erks me sometimes, other times people cant grasp the concept.
            I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

My favorite way to use chains so far is to use them as a part of a pyramid. For instance, I'll warm up to 225, and then start adding chains for each set. As you keep adding chains there is a point where you start to actually feel stronger. I believe this may be your nervous system "waking up". Last time I did this we worked up to 12 chains on each side. Here is the video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI9-_ZefS94&list=UUo4BRIhT84V3HYrZhwF4NVw&index=16[/YOUTUBE]

Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
              X