Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So frustrated with these types...

So I had to come here!

I'm warming up on the treadmill at my gym today, which faces the squat rack off in the corner. I notice a bar loaded with 315 on said rack. I look at a dude strutting around in a black beater, hoping someone notices him and the weight on the bar. Guy has a decent upper body, but I correctly predicted what was gonna happen, and that was, his squats are gonna suck.

He has long pants on to hide his legs, and knee wraps on the outside of those. And a lifting belt. Cutting to the chase, he stops a good 20-30 degrees short of parallel on every rep. Then he loads the bar to 405, and repeats the crummy execution, but calling a LOT of attention to himself screaming like a stabbed rat with each repetition, and then looking around after his set to see who is looking.

I wanted so bad to take his wraps and belt off, strip the bar to 225, beg him to go rock bottom with it and watch him get BURIED.

Then...he waltzed over to the leg press (45 degree) and asks the guy on it if he is finished. The guy says yes, I can help to break down the plates on here if you need. Dude cops a very non-thankful attitude and says just leave all the plates on there. THEN he grabs every plate within a reasonable radius and loads what looked to be 10 plates a side, and threw another couple of plates on top of the carriage for good measure.

Beautiful form (sarcasm). The carriage moved a good 12-14 inches on each rep, with his hands pushing his thighs, while still wearing WRAPS .........all the while begging for people to notice what a machine he is in between sets. This whole scenario took about 25 minutes while I looked on from the treadmill.

I had all I could take. I just ignored him to the best of my ability after that. Thanks for reading, thanks for the rant.

A lot of guys do 1/2 rep squats to only target the quads. I felt the same way you did at one point and as I learned a lot more about bodybuilding I realized different strokes for different folks. I watch Tony Freeman do partial reps on squats on a regular basis.... It's working for him.

Comment

Tony Freeman or any other pro is not a great example of doing half reps for size. Tony could squat on the toilet to take a shit and his quads would be great.

To the OP: this sport is full of pieces of shit, get used to it. They aren't going anywhere any time soon, unfortunately.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I bet partial reps didn't get Toney's (or any other pro's) legs the size they are now...

Comment

I'm sure at one point Toney did full ROM squats. I see the same types of douches you are talking about. Its one thing to do 1/2 rep squats, but it's another thing to throw 5 plates on there and do 1/2 reps and claim you squat 500 for reps. I saw a guy the other day hit 315 on bench for 3 reps doing 1/4 reps and then told some of his buddies he was repping that shit out.

Comment

Like Skip said those "types" will always be in the gym. I just don't let their douchness bother me anymore.

Comment

Stories like this make me happy that I've never worked out at a commercial gym in my entire life. A guy I work with told me how these same types of people will walk up to you while you're training and offer "advice". I don't like when complete strangers talk to me in general, but to lecture me when you don't even know me would really irritate me.

It's probably healthier that you rant about it instead of pulling a Sonny Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by BigCat61 View Post
                I'm sure at one point Toney did full ROM squats. I see the same types of douches you are talking about. Its one thing to do 1/2 rep squats, but it's another thing to throw 5 plates on there and do 1/2 reps and claim you squat 500 for reps. I saw a guy the other day hit 315 on bench for 3 reps doing 1/4 reps and then told some of his buddies he was repping that shit out.
                I understand having an insecurity/inferiority complex, but people that are shit have to know they are shit deep down, right? This buffoon has to know that his reps sucked and that he didn't actually rep out.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
                  I understand having an insecurity/inferiority complex, but people that are shit have to know they are shit deep down, right? This buffoon has to know that his reps sucked and that he didn't actually rep out.
                  You would think so, but this guy is absolutely in his own world. He wears wrist wraps and elbow sleeves. He honestly seems like a nice guy that wants to feel important I assume. He talks to me on a regular basis about getting bigger and stronger, but he has to be 50. Most of the time it is younger kids that ask questions, but I cant hate on him for trying to get better. It is just funny when he tells people how strong he is.

Comment

BigCat61
                    Lightweight Member
                    Last edited by BigCat61; 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCat61 View Post
                      Like Skip said those "types" will always be in the gym. I just don't let their douchness bother me anymore.
                      I try not to but .... I can't always do it. lol

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

dude, i just get in their in the middle of their sets and ask if their finished with this ladies machine or...can i borrow that faggot pad. haha

our shit heads in our gym top it off with a damn pad for their girly necks haha.

Matt
                        NABBA UK 2011 - Novice class 3rd Place
                        NABBA BRITAIN FINALS 2012 - Novice class 3rd Place
                        NABBA NORTH WEST 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 1st Place
                        NABBA WORLD CHAMPS 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 10th Place
                        NABBA ENGLAND 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 3rd place
                        NABBA UK 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 4th place

Comment

happens all the time, let it go and let him train however mediocre he wants and work on your own lifts. this sport is ONLY about competing with yourself, not with others.

Comment

Originally posted by bicep_grind View Post
                            dude, i just get in their in the middle of their sets and ask if their finished with this ladies machine or...can i borrow that faggot pad. haha

our shit heads in our gym top it off with a damn pad for their girly necks haha.

Matt
                            lost it here

Comment

Originally posted by bicep_grind View Post

Matt
                              LOL

We call it a maxi pad.

Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X