Leg Size/Mass as we age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Size/Mass as we age

Why is it as we get older and I’ve noticed this when “seasoned” bodybuilders get back on stage or published, there seems to an obvious decrease in leg size/mass. Is it due to age or a lack of intensity in ones leg training due all the pounding that was done did in ones hey day? Now with that said, as we get older, what’s the best approach to building/maintaining a descent pair of wheels? Obviously, I’m referring to those of us who weren't so blessed with great genetics.
    "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

I must have the genetics of a dogwood, you know the tiny tree. I'm still learning how to get mine to grow
    I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ShankS View Post
      I must have the genetics of a dogwood, you know the tiny tree. I'm still learning how to get mine to grow
      You in the military? I hit 19 this past Dec (Army) and I know that all that running really hasn't done much in the way of helping me put on any size. At 49, and not running as much as I did in the past (at least trying not to anyway) I would like to find out what everyone thoughts are.
      "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

after 30yrs of leg training the knees and back cant handle the real hvy stuff no more
        If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
        :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
        Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

I feel yua. So what's the answer too keeping the moving forward?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
          "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
            You in the military? I hit 19 this past Dec (Army) and I know that all that running really hasn't done much in the way of helping me put on any size. At 49, and not running as much as I did in the past (at least trying not to anyway) I would like to find out what everyone thoughts are.
            yup coming up on 8 years. Mines not all the running (Air Force ) but all the traveling, being a flying crew chief. Traveled a lot of this world and drank a ton of different types of beers. Think thats what held me back not being consistent enough and random training regiments.
            I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

I think it is a combination of recovery and the beating our bodies take throughout the years. Recovery you can improve with structuring your nutrition to fit your training. That is key. Like Scott and John say, your training should dictate your diet. That will help, but age will eventually become a factor with your recovery, and you may need to alter your training somewhat. That being said, I feel GFP has a lot to do with recovery as well.

As far as longevity, Skip hits on that in his video pretty well. I feel that DC can work if you train in the higher ranges. That goes for everything. I also think a routine like Mountain Dog can work well if you are structuring your nutrition correctly. When I was doing my last show with Jeremiah, my knees where killing me. I was doing a FST-7 routine where I blasted them with a heavy movement to start then pumped them up with isolation exercises. At one point I decided to turn the routine upside down, and just as you would with DC used Leg Curls first. It made a world of difference on my knees, and I think my legs are going to look even better.
              1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
              2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
              2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
              2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
              2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
              2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
              X