Wide grip vs close grip pulldown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide grip vs close grip pulldown

Personally I love close grip pulldowns. I feel my last are more activated, isoaltes the lats more and takes out other musicle groups, and overall feel it targets the muscle more. If you look in a mirror and do a wide grip, then switch to a close grip with palms facing you'll see your lats expand . With a wide grip it feels slightly uncomfterble to get a deep stretch at the top due to the position of your shoulder, with the close,grip and elbows in at the top you csn really stretch out without having any joint ROM stopping you. Has anyone else taken out wide grips and only do close pulldowns. I know it seems like blasphemy but I'm concidering doing only close pulldowns.

I've used both in my routines. Also, when I do my seated wide (front) PD, I like sitting the opposite direction. I feel this keeps me honest with my form.
    "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Ya on some machines I sit backwards also. It seems the wide grip straight bar hits the upper back more and palm facing d grip gives you those wide wings.

Comment

Completely agree on noticing more lat activation with a neutral grip - but that doesn't mean it needs to be a close grip. We've got a bar that has neutral grip handles a little wider than shoulder width. I like doing a few sets with that and then a few close.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Ya we have that bar also. I honestly just think its my bodies mechanics that I don't like wide grip. Im tall with long arms, the wide grips put my shoulders In an uncomfterble position. Even on the DC lat stretch I have to go close grip other wise it feels like I'm going to hurt my shoulders. Same feeling for dumbbell flies, I have to use the cable from a middle position not top. Even got a slap tear doing flies. Everyone is diff i guess

Comment

I have long arms also, and switched to close grip a few years ago after reading a Dorian article that said he never once did a wide grip pull during his Olympia run. I saw immediate change. And he stated that wide grip works the teres while close grip works the lats more. He also suggested to use an underhand grip because it puts the biceps in a better mechanical position.

Comment

The MAG bars that sponsor this site are AWESOME for really hitting your lats and taking everything else out of the movement. We bought the wide grip one for our club, it has a "neutral" style grip and feels awesome :-)

If you can it's worth the investment from how it feels. I would also agree with what was said about wide grip hitting more upper back, where as narrower grip you get a better stretch...
              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

I like using the hanging ab straps, putting my elbows in there and do pulldowns forcing me to squeeze my back

Comment

Just read the T Nation article, good stuff. Exactly how I feel, even overhand bent Bb Rows feel inferior to underhand as far as lat stretch and stimulation.

Comment

I feel an underhand grip more so also. Give you a nice squeeze at the top of the movement.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
                    "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

That's exActly it. With an underhand grip I can pause and squeeze at the top and feel the muscle I'm trying to work . With overhand it's almost impossible for me to hold
                      The top position and my wrists,elbows and biceps feel like their doing the lifting

Comment

I don't do pulldowns, but for chins, and sometimes when I do a seated pulling movement, closegrip and neutral is much more productive for me (can get more reps).

According to some people, that indicates that I should be doing the opposite though....

Comment

It could be due to more bicep involvement.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
                          "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

As far as lat stimulation goes the close grip should be better...
                            All this wide grip for width stuff is balls lol
                            Lats will grow how they will grow...
                            Its like saying preacher curls give a better peak... The biceps will be the shape they are just hit em hard...
                            Wide grip is much shorter range of motion there for less of a stretch and squeeze less stimulation...
                            Close grip should be better.

Comment

Working...
                            X