The dreaded Cuff-Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded Cuff-Cut

Alright, long story short I blew my shoulder up about a year back. Bounced back nicely and after six months of strict diet and a solid routine, I reached (at 31 years old) what I would consider the best shape I've ever been in.

Of course, while I sat on my peak, I re-injured my shoulder...really bad. Full bankart repair was required and according to the surgical report, some extra tendon cutting included to reach and fix the damage.

This was on my right arm (I'm right handed) and was done on 20 Feb of this year. Recovery has been painfully slow, but I am now to a point where both my surgeon and physical therapist agree that I shouldn't tear anything up by getting back into the weights with some fervor. I have full-ish range of motion back (as tight as the surgeon needed to make it, it will never fully come back) and my strength is actually coming along well...I just seem to exhaust more quickly on the right side.

The problem is that I have lost SIGNIFICANT muscle mass on my entire right side (bi, tri, lat, shoulder, trap...you name it) from muscle atrophy during the last few months. My question is this: as I begin to rebuild (assuming my tendons and muscles are fully healed) do I add extra volume to the right side to 'catch it up'? Or do I keep the weights within right side tolerance and 'cheat' the left side?...(i.e. flat presses with 30lb DB's in both hands when I could put up a 70 with the left...)

As frustrating as this issue is, at least my leg development has really kicked in...yay pun.

Anyhow, any advice you gents or ladies could give would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I've done some shoulder rehab and I would base all your weights on what your right side can handle. Start very light and work up. Ya it sucks doing 30lb DB presses but its what needs to be done

Comment

Not anticipating the time it's going to take to get back up to par...going to be a long, shirt wearing, summer...

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
        I've done some shoulder rehab and I would base all your weights on what your right side can handle. Start very light and work up. Ya it sucks doing 30lb DB presses but its what needs to be done
        30's?? Haha...I wish :-/ I also injured my shoulder and am taking it really slowly. At my age, I can't afford to make this a chronic condition. I'm tempted to hit the ladies princess dumbells!
        ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Unfortunately, mine's a chronic deal. This was chop-chop number eight between the two of them. Won't be the last, either. Doc wants to replace the left one right now.

I figure since I'm going to be messed up with this issue forever, I may as well look good. Hence the weight lifting

Comment

Working...
          X