Skip got me thinkin'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip got me thinkin'...

Correct me if I'm wrong Skip but I was reading your responses on another board.

Someone asked about how you should "take advantage of the post-show/rebound period for growth" to which you replied along the lines of "I really don't believe in that. I think you just 'perceive' all this growth to happen after a show when in reality you were just depleted and getting smaller and smaller cutting for the show. Then, once you're done with the show and start eating normally, you really just go back to where you were before the cut."

This is when my gears started turning...

I've been hearing about how 'high rep work helps strengthen the ligaments so you can tackle heavier weights at lower reps.'

What if high rep work really doesn't strengthen the ligaments/joints? I think high rep work is really just a period of active rest and recovery for the ligaments/joints. Your joints are given time to rest (actively...circulating blood and nutrients, etc.) then when you tackle the heavier weights, you have a lot less pain, and you just perceive your ligaments are stronger because of the lack of pain, but in reality they were just taking a break from the heavy weight.

Just to cover my bases, I am NOT saying high rep work is useless, far from it. What I am saying is high rep work is a great means of recovery to help heal the joints, and not a period where joints are strengthened. Honestly it makes sense...what is causing more trauma on the joint (and as a result, a better stimulus for growth), heavy weight or light weight?

Let me hear your thoughts and experiences!
    Last edited by theroymccoy; 05-05-2013, 02:17 PM.
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

I always cringe when I hear someone say "Skip, I read on another board that you said ...." because I haven't posted on other boards in a very long time. In this case, though, I do stand behind what I said and my opinion has not changed.

I can't say NO growth takes place with an abundance of calories after a show but what I do say is that most people mistake the fullness and weight gain while staying lean as growth and in my opinion, it isn't. The gains you make post show are negligible so if I had to put a number on it for reference and the sake of conversation, you might have 3% growth and 97% filling out.

As for the high rep builds strong tendons, I don't know if there is any information out there to prove or disprove this but my opinion is that it would NOT help with tendon strength outside of your hypothesis about rest and recovery. Your explanation is likely what I would think happens, as well.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Apologies, I was just using "the other board response" as a segue into my little hypothesis.

Thanks for the reply!
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

No worries. My point is just that with the internet, everything I write is out there even from 10 years ago and thoughts evolve over time and things change sometimes so I was just glad to see that what I discussed a while ago, I still feel the same way about.

I have journals from 10 years ago that I sometimes get questions about and I don't do some of the things that I used to.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Threads suck when everyone agrees

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong Skip but I was reading your responses on another board.

Someone asked about how you should "take advantage of the post-show/rebound period for growth" to which you replied along the lines of "I really don't believe in that. I think you just 'perceive' all this growth to happen after a show when in reality you were just depleted and getting smaller and smaller cutting for the show. Then, once you're done with the show and start eating normally, you really just go back to where you were before the cut."

This is when my gears started turning...

I've been hearing about how 'high rep work helps strengthen the ligaments so you can tackle heavier weights at lower reps.'

What if high rep work really doesn't strengthen the ligaments/joints? I think high rep work is really just a period of active rest and recovery for the ligaments/joints. Your joints are given time to rest (actively...circulating blood and nutrients, etc.) then when you tackle the heavier weights, you have a lot less pain, and you just perceive your ligaments are stronger because of the lack of pain, but in reality they were just taking a break from the heavy weight.

Just to cover my bases, I am NOT saying high rep work is useless, far from it. What I am saying is high rep work is a great means of recovery to help heal the joints, and not a period where joints are strengthened. Honestly it makes sense...what is causing more trauma on the joint (and as a result, a better stimulus for growth), heavy weight or light weight?

Let me hear your thoughts and experiences!

what about high rep causing tendinosis or tendinitis rather than strengthening them. just a thought.

eccentrics is what strengthens them.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyJohnson View Post
              what about high rep causing tendinosis or tendinitis rather than strengthening them. just a thought.

eccentrics is what strengthens them.
              Really? I have the slowest raw bench eccentric in the history of powerlifting and my bicep tendinitis hurts like hell.

Comment

Tendons have very little blood flow, high reps helps get some blood and NUTRIENTS in there to help heal. This doesn't happen with just taking time off. Try it.
                If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Working...
                X