Thoughts on MCT oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on MCT oil?

I have been reading a lot about MCT oil and it being a fat that is more readily available for use/conversion into energy / ATP than other fats and types of oil. I was wondering everyone's thoughts / experience on this and on MCT oil (for those who have supplemented with it)

My diet is more fat than carb heavy right now, so this would be an important thing to me, but I don't want to go switching my olive oil out of my shakes for MCT oil either if there are some other drawbacks of this that I have not read yet...?

Thanks
    Last edited by HELLA SWOLE; 04-22-2013, 03:57 PM.

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

erm, mct stands for?

Comment

If your being serious then it stands for "Medium Chained triglycerides"

Originally posted by fatty View Post
      erm, mct stands for?

Comment

You can get it in a powder now, but I am not sure if it is as effective in that form. Anybody?

Comment

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...&highlight=Mct

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...&highlight=Mct
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I thought about this myself, but there is one problem with using MCT Oil. Straight MCT oil has been known to cause diarrhea in some. This is why it's popularity waned with Parillo. That being said, coconut oil is a good alternative since is contains MCT's and has other health benefits with out the nasty side effects. Just make sure you get organic virgin coconut oil.
            1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
            2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
            2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
            2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
            2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
            2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
              If your being serious then it stands for "Medium Chained triglycerides"
              i was being serious, we dont always get your american abbreviations here in the uk

Comment

I have a teaspoon of coconut oil every morning with coffee and after I drink it I feel increased warmth inside which I assume is a little boost in my metabolism, but like most supplements, the effect isn't huge or anything. But it's cheap, delicious and supposed to be really good for you, so why not? Also, the smell lingers on my lips and I get random whiffs of coconut throughout the day, which is pretty fun.
                Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I think it's overrated. Coconut oil has a lot of MCT's, health benefits and is a good cooking oil and substitute for butter, I think that's a good way to get MCT's but there is nothing magical about it like some people suggest.
                  If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                  http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                  2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                  2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
                    I think it's overrated. Coconut oil has a lot of MCT's, health benefits and is a good cooking oil and substitute for butter, I think that's a good way to get MCT's but there is nothing magical about it like some people suggest.
                    I will have to agree. I went through 4- 32oz jars of coconut oil. Tried 1 tablespoon/day to 4 tablespoons/day with no noticeable difference .....

-Ryno
                    Want THE Magic Pill??!! Yea so do I!! Find the next best thing at trueprotein.com. For all your protein and supplement needs.

Use RYNO100 for 5% off

2010 Grand Traverse Bodybuilding Championships: 4th, Tall
                    2009 Grand Traverse Bodybuilding Championships: 4th, Tall
                    2007 Northern Michigan Natural Championships: 5th, Light-heavy

Comment

Coconut oil obviously is not magical, but it does have a benefit when it comes to fat loss. It also has benefits when it comes to heath. The health benefits are more appreciable when it comes to people with impaired immune systems.

Just adding coconut oil will not amount to a huge difference in fat loss, but like anything else as a part of a well constructed diet it can improve fat loss. If you do all the right things these little difference add up. One thing that I have heard from a friend, and well respected coach, is that he has had clients who added too much coconut oil as a part of a weight gain diet, and although they were in a positive calorie balance they didn't gain weight. Without adding calories they replaced coconut oil with other fats and started to gain again.

Here is a list of specific benefits:

Lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels.

Coconut oil is rich in anti-oxidants and may boost your body's immunity.

Studies show coconut fat added to a diet can improve fat loss.

Study #1 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12975635

Study #2
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12532160

Coconut oil can be used as an effective moisturizer.
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I know, I was just making sure my friend.

Originally posted by fatty View Post
                        i was being serious, we dont always get your american abbreviations here in the uk

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
                          I know, I was just making sure my friend.
                          :rockon:

Comment

Working...
                          X