Diverticulitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diverticulitis

Anyone have any experience with this? Just got back from the ER with my wife after complaining about pain in her side for about 24 hours.

They put her on flagyl, cipro, percocet, and some zofran. They said a diet change would be the biggest part of keeping it down - but her diet isn't too bad typically.

Curious as to if there is anyone else here that has dealt with this.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

I've been fighting GI problems for about a year now. I don't have diverticulitis, but have taken flagyl for various things. It's a wicked anti-biotic. Made me feel worse than the GI problems did. If your wife has trouble with it, they can prescribe other anti-biotics that are a bit more mild. Vancomycin was much more mild on my guts and work just as well/quickly.

Good luck!

Comment

Didn't Brock Lesnar have that a few years back?

Comment

I had it (have it). Basically put me on some high powered antibiotics for a week. Killed everything, and I had every side effect from both

Diet will help, as my Dr told me. There is a lot of conflicting info out there too. Its generally held that you shouldn't eat nuts/seeds as they can get caught in the folds in the intestine/colon and fester and cause another attack. I have not had that issue, and I eat them regularly.

Best thing to do is search out info on the net, and talk with your Dr. I haven't had any issues since (4 yrs now) although I did have issues before xmas with my butt (nasty business lol).
        Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
        BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Originally posted by TheJosh View Post
          I've been fighting GI problems for about a year now. I don't have diverticulitis, but have taken flagyl for various things. It's a wicked anti-biotic. Made me feel worse than the GI problems did. If your wife has trouble with it, they can prescribe other anti-biotics that are a bit more mild. Vancomycin was much more mild on my guts and work just as well/quickly.

Good luck!
          Thanks for the info - Pharmacist told me to make sure she avoids taking it with dairy and any form of alcohol, even cough syrup. Hopefully she takes to it fine.

Originally posted by Glyder View Post
          I had it (have it). Basically put me on some high powered antibiotics for a week. Killed everything, and I had every side effect from both

Diet will help, as my Dr told me. There is a lot of conflicting info out there too. Its generally held that you shouldn't eat nuts/seeds as they can get caught in the folds in the intestine/colon and fester and cause another attack. I have not had that issue, and I eat them regularly.

Best thing to do is search out info on the net, and talk with your Dr. I haven't had any issues since (4 yrs now) although I did have issues before xmas with my butt (nasty business lol).
          Yeah, I have seen some conflicting info already, some places say to avoid the nuts and others like the MayoClinic said that there isn't any conclusive evidence to that.

Her diet wasn't horrible in the first place. Most days she eats what I eat - Chicken and rice (i'm boring). She will usually have some sort of protein shake in the morning, probably has some snacks during the day like granola bars. Dinner is usually beef with some pasta like a hamburger helper kind of meal.
          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
          www.316fit.com
          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Here is a recent article you may find of interest. I don't have very much experience with this, so other than finding recommendations on databases like Dynamed, I can't offer much else.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...?dopt=Abstract

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Comment

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

I had some customers who had it. It sounds like she might not have much fiber in her diet? Get some more roughage intake, fiber supps, psyllium, etc.
              Max Muscle
              5020 Katella Ave.
              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                Hoping for a speedy recovery!

I had some customers who had it. It sounds like she might not have much fiber in her diet? Get some more roughage intake, fiber supps, psyllium, etc.
                This is a great idea. After I had that, they sent me for a colonoscopy, and the Dr mentioned this as well. Both Dr.s and the ER doc that saw me also said that the nuts/seeds were thought to contribute, but they (all younger drs) had actually researched it and drew their own conclusions that while the chance for it to happen MAY be slightly higher, they couldn't say that's what caused it.

My colonoscopy did find some polyps, which they removed and I haven't had any problems since, I do eat more salads/greens now as well.

I hope its not as severe or worse than mine was. I was in a ton of pain for about 4 days total (i didn't goto the emerg till the 2nd day) and it took some time for the antibiotics to help. Lost a lot of weight though lol, couldnt eat!
                Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
                BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

I recommend Metamucil a few times per day. It tastes great.
                  :preach:

Comment

Anything hard to digest, nuts, seeds, popcorn. I had Ulcerative colitis. aloe vera juice, probiotics, and things easy on digestion for a while. It's no fun but it can be controlled.

Comment

Working...
                    X