Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slight 5/3/1 Frustration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slight 5/3/1 Frustration

    Right then, so I love this program to bits. Every part of it makes sense to me as far as the main lifts, deloading, the progression, etc.

    However, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on what assistance to go with for each lifting day. I am coming from a background of doing Starting Strength and a small affair with madcow, so I've always had all of this crap lined up for me and I never really had to think about it.

    Is there a decent generic template out there that will help me figure this out with little annoyance? Already know the strength gains will be coming, might as well fine-tune the aesthetics gain. I tried literally just doing the 4 day a week DC split separated into what makes sense, but I'd like to be stronger before I try this again. And a main component of DC seems to be the rotating of days per week to increase the amount of times you hit a certain muscle group, so just hitting that part twice a week would almost be the same as straight sets wouldn't it?

    Boring But Big seems really perfect for this, but there is literally no logs that last more than 3 months that I can find, no before or after shots...not even comments, so I am kind of worried about wasting 12 weeks.

    Open to discussion.

    Also hey guys I am Monty.

  • #2
    do BBB. it will kill you. and you will hate it. and love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
      do BBB. it will kill you. and you will hate it. and love it.
      God I really, really, want to. It seems to much simpler than trying to find some magical split and wasting time by finetuning every iso until I settle into something.

      Know anyone that actually got lolswole on it? Gotta fix this t-rex mode, bruh.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by monty522 View Post
        not even comments, so I am kind of worried about wasting 12 weeks.
        First of all, welcome to the site.

        I dont think you would waste 12 weeks trying it out for yourself. BBB might work really well for you, however for example for me it might not work at all. We have very different genetics, recovery abilities diets etc. The only way you will know if it works is to try it.

        Next to that, as you mention, it is assistance work. The main gains, and where you need to put in the most effort, will still be the main lifts. Anything else after those lifts are to supplement those lifts.

        I have done 5/3/1 for a few (2-3 cycles) before and loved BBB.
        My Training Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          No one has ever asked about assistance work for 5/3/1 before. I bet you could never find another thread or question about it on here or from Jim himself at elitefts...

          I don't get why everyone cares or worries about the assistance work so much. Do whatever you want. If you feel good do a lot. If you feel tired do a little.

          I personally like to pick exercises that will help make me stronger at the main lift I just did that day.
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            No one has ever asked about assistance work for 5/3/1 before. I bet you could never find another thread or question about it on here or from Jim himself at elitefts...

            I don't get why everyone cares or worries about the assistance work so much. Do whatever you want. If you feel good do a lot. If you feel tired do a little.

            I personally like to pick exercises that will help make me stronger at the main lift I just did that day.
            Some people just need everything laid out for them, or want someone bigger and better to tell them what to do. People have to believe in what they are doing before they do it. I can relate cuz I'm one of them. When I first started 531 I liked the idea, but thought it was too damn easy. Went four cycles and kept progressing, but I actually like using my actual maxes, and testing at the end of every cycle... But that's not what this is about. For assistance, here's what I did... I stopped training for two weeks. Did hours of research and came up with two templates that I rotated every cycle. The first was BBB. Loved it. The volume will mess u up in a good way. So y don't I solely use that? I'm a person who likes variety plain and simple. The second template I used is a DC style template the I've posted on this site before that I'm sure u can find if u try... I currently use that and love it. I was one of those guys that let assistance work be my main priority, but u gotta try and remember that it's not. I use the main 531 lifts for strength, and the DC assistance for size. Add in conditioning work twice a week and I've never been in better shape in my life.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by monty522 View Post
              Right then, so I love this program to bits. Every part of it makes sense to me as far as the main lifts, deloading, the progression, etc.

              However, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on what assistance to go with for each lifting day. I am coming from a background of doing Starting Strength and a small affair with madcow, so I've always had all of this crap lined up for me and I never really had to think about it.

              Is there a decent generic template out there that will help me figure this out with little annoyance? Already know the strength gains will be coming, might as well fine-tune the aesthetics gain. I tried literally just doing the 4 day a week DC split separated into what makes sense, but I'd like to be stronger before I try this again. And a main component of DC seems to be the rotating of days per week to increase the amount of times you hit a certain muscle group, so just hitting that part twice a week would almost be the same as straight sets wouldn't it?

              Boring But Big seems really perfect for this, but there is literally no logs that last more than 3 months that I can find, no before or after shots...not even comments, so I am kind of worried about wasting 12 weeks.

              Open to discussion.

              Also hey guys I am Monty.
              First, you know nothing about DC. 2nd 5/3/1 isn't about getting bigger, it is about getting stronger. Why would you be wasting 12 weeks if you are getting stronger? You wouldn't. Go read the book, because you haven't.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                First, you know nothing about DC. 2nd 5/3/1 isn't about getting bigger, it is about getting stronger. Why would you be wasting 12 weeks if you are getting stronger? You wouldn't. Go read the book, because you haven't.
                Even though I have; thanks for the redundant reply though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by monty522 View Post
                  Boring But Big seems really perfect for this, but there is literally no logs that last more than 3 months that I can find, no before or after shots...not even comments, so I am kind of worried about wasting 12 weeks.
                  Not saying this is or isn't the way you should do it - but here is a log I kept: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46005


                  2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                  2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                  2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                  2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                  2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by monty522 View Post
                    Even though I have; thanks for the redundant reply though.
                    Good try, but there was nothing redundant about my post. No wonder you need to be hand fed everything.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Monty-

                      if after having a basic framework laid out for you including key exercises,sets, reps and weight progession (including warm-ups for f*cks sake?!?) you cant pick a few exercises to follow it up with...well my advice is this:

                      take up a different hobby
                      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                      17 AAU Super Total
                      '16-AAU Hi
                      '15-USPA Metro
                      '15-USPA State
                      '15-AAU HI
                      '14-AAU HI
                      '14-USPA Metro
                      '14-WABDL Sonny's
                      '14-USPA State
                      '14-HI Strongman
                      '13-USPA
                      '13-WABDL Sonny's
                      '13-USPA State
                      '13-AAU HI
                      '11-USPA Metro
                      '10-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-NPC Islands
                      '09-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA IronWorks
                      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                      '01-ABA Olympia
                      '01-ABA Islands
                      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                      '00-INBF Musclefest
                      '98-NGA Ill
                      '98-INBF Ohio

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you read the book, everything should be laid out for you already. But either way, this post on EliteFTS answers the 52 most popular 5/3/1 questions.

                        Look at #29 specifically.
                        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

                        My On-Site Log

                        My Off-Site Log

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                          First, you know nothing about DC. 2nd 5/3/1 isn't about getting bigger, it is about getting stronger. Why would you be wasting 12 weeks if you are getting stronger? You wouldn't. Go read the book, because you haven't.
                          Originally posted by monty522 View Post
                          Even though I have; thanks for the redundant reply though.
                          >>

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X