Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone open a fitness studio?

Long story short.

I have been happy as a trainer at my current location until last week when they want to change the split from 70/30 to 65/35 or 60/40 (they havent decided). They also want to start being in charge of scheduling my clients.

I have scheduled my own clients and had a 70/30 split for almost 4 years now so it kind of really set me off.

So here's my question:

Have any of you opened up a fitness studio or group exercise studio? I am seriously thinking about it. I know roughly 30% of my current clientele would follow me so it could help get me started there. The cost of rent in a nice downtown building would be only about $600 a month + electric. I can instruct most of the classes other than ZUMBA and know a few good instructors in the area I could hire out to do a few classes a week.

-group classes
    -bootcamps
    -youth fitness
    -senior fitness
    -one targeted for obese?
    -juice/protein bar
    -TRX?
    -Spin?
    -Zumba

The only problem I have is that 2 gyms in town offer FREE group exercise classes to the members of their gym. It just makes me wonder if I can do it that much better that people would come to me.

THOUGHT?!
    Want THE Magic Pill??!! Yea so do I!! Find the next best thing at trueprotein.com. For all your protein and supplement needs.

Use RYNO100 for 5% off

2010 Grand Traverse Bodybuilding Championships: 4th, Tall
    2009 Grand Traverse Bodybuilding Championships: 4th, Tall
    2007 Northern Michigan Natural Championships: 5th, Light-heavy

I am in the process myself only mine will be out of my home so my overhead is virtually nil. I am approaching local sports teams as I am trying for a more of a strength and conditioning type approach. I figure I would try to offer something different, as everyone and their dog if offering group classes. Good luck with your endeavour.

Comment

I've had a personal training studio for 2 years now. I opened up when I was 22 years old. I bought all of my equipment from ProMaxima. I do not offer any classes. Strictly a private studio. I've got one other trainer that works 3 days a week, and has roughly 30 clients, whereas i work 6 days and have roughly 50 clients. Ask away sir!

By the way, my rent is similar, $700/month. If you want to check out some of the equipment I've got find me on Facebook at Image Total Fitness Great Bend.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
      2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

And, I was similar to you, had been working at a gym for 4 years with a 80/20 split. They wanted to change it so I took my client base with me.

Comment

I actually have a question if you dont mind. I dont expect you to give prices but what do you find to be the most effective for grouping packages together, ie-do you do mostly short term or longer term when grouping the number of sessions together?

Comment

Originally posted by smookey View Post
            I am in the process myself only mine will be out of my home so my overhead is virtually nil. I am approaching local sports teams as I am trying for a more of a strength and conditioning type approach. I figure I would try to offer something different, as everyone and their dog if offering group classes. Good luck with your endeavour.
            Yea everyone is doing group classes, however, I feel like they are doing a half ass job around here. They just don't bring the intensity or the results that people are after. Its no joke, most of the group instuctors around here are 25+% bodyfat!

I like the idea of the private training studio and having the different stuff that no gyms around here have (tire and ropes for one).

Possible to do both group classes and private training? I'm thinking so.
            Want THE Magic Pill??!! Yea so do I!! Find the next best thing at trueprotein.com. For all your protein and supplement needs.

Use RYNO100 for 5% off

Comment

Originally posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
              I've had a personal training studio for 2 years now. I opened up when I was 22 years old. I bought all of my equipment from ProMaxima. I do not offer any classes. Strictly a private studio. I've got one other trainer that works 3 days a week, and has roughly 30 clients, whereas i work 6 days and have roughly 50 clients. Ask away sir!

By the way, my rent is similar, $700/month. If you want to check out some of the equipment I've got find me on Facebook at Image Total Fitness Great Bend.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

I'm digging the setup you have going there!

Couple questions. How much up front capital did you start with and how many square feet is your building?

I'm sick of these gyms that try to do it all..... and do none of it very well at all!

Use RYNO100 for 5% off

Comment

Smookey- I do pricing based on two things: how many days per week you'd want to train (which is determined by goals, more times per week is less per session), and the duration (I offer discounts if people pay 3 months out as opposed to two or 1.) If that question wasn't for me, then i apologize!

Rynobull- Thank you for the compliment! I agree that too many gyms diversify too much instead of nailing one thing. In my town of 16k people, we have one big family owned gym with pool, tennis courts, etc, also a anytime Fitness, and another crossfit style gym. I think I've nailed the personal training section because people love that privacy. In my town at least, most people are not looking to get ripped, they are middle aged people with lots of oil money to spend lol.

I spent ~$35,000 to get up and running. That was all the equipment, dumbbells, elliptical, treadmill, recumbent bike, and renovation, paint, etc. I did most of the work myself.

Square feet: 2500.

I think there are alot of guys like me out there that would love to have some guidance, maybe this thread could help!

Last edited by PhoebeusFenix; 03-29-2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I was asking you Phoebeus and thank you. I am also planning to take it mobile to do at home personal training with a few free wts. and bands in other larger centers as I only have 15k people to draw from in my current location. I work full time and opening my own business is kind of like jumping off a cliff, there comes a time when you have to go to the edge and jump.

Comment

Mobile training wouldn't be a bad idea. I just love machines lol. I am not terribly into bands, etc...but, they definitely have their place! It's scary as heck to jump, but luckily in my case, it was a good jump. Couldn't ask for more(well, ok, I can, and am, getting a bigger building, 2 more trainers, more equipment, and hopefully, more $$).

Good luck sir!

Comment

I had a question about getting into personal training beforehand and was curious about the more credible licenses and certificates out there? and what getting a massage therapist license would do for you as far as being "above the competition" and just overall beneficial or is it a common thing?

Comment

Personally, I am certified through ISSA. They are kind of a medium ground I think. Below NASM, equal to ACE(as far as i know). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know about a massage therapist license, I wouldn't think it would be terribly beneficial, but more never hurts.

Comment

Working...
                        X