Torn Labrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn Labrum

I just got the results of my MRI yesterday and have a torn labrum and moderate supraspinatus tendinitis.

Its not a major one as I can still do most everything except heavy ohp, although I haven't tried a max bench yet. I managed to ohp 95x10 for 3 sets the other day without pain. Any heavier I think will hurt. I can still even bench about 315 without pain too. Its just in certain spots in hurts like holding my arm out to the side with thumb up is the worst.

Im not really sure which way I want to go about this injury. I was told in wont heal on its own and I would be back in the gym in 4 mo.

I am currently going to PT and I will get some feedback from them on Mon when I share the results with them.

Anyway, anyone here have experience with this type of injury and did you get surgery?

Sorry to hear that DJ.
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
      Sorry to hear that DJ.
      Thanks TL.

This happened in Dec so the last 3 mo has sucked waiting to see if it would heal with therapy. Just not sure what I want to do yet.

Comment

I tore my labrum in June of 2008. It was a SLAP lesion. I put off surgery until Jan 2010, when I realized that if I wanted to ever get the most of my training I'd have to do it. Like you said you can still do the movements with little pain, but for me there came a point where I just could not progress without pain, so I was just doing the same weights all the time. That and there started to be some size discrepancies, particularly in my lats and biceps, just due to the overcompensation from the other side. Plus when I would try to lift heavy the pain would last longer and longer, and I was having to get shots about once a month for a few months, and the doc was not keen on continuing that for the long haul.

The surgery was outpatient, the initial recovery sucked for sleeping. I started PT about 3 days after surgery, just doing arm circles and the like. I was fully healed with a green light to lift as I felt I could about 6 months post op. The first 2 months are brutal and you'll ask yourself why I did it, when I went from benching X to Y, but now 3 years later, I'm definitely glad I did it.

I think also, it depends on what you personally want out of your lifting and workouts. How old you are, are you going to want to lift heavy for the duration etc? Answer your goal questions, and then decide what route will best assist you in getting there.

Good luck with your recovery whichever you choose.

Comment

I had a dislocated shoulder and torn labrum. It took a while get it straightened out and I worked a lot on building stability. Believe it or not, but getting on DC and doing a lot of behind the neck pressing movements seemed to help..and having Homon help me get through it.

I also stopped doing flat bench and every morning I still go through a series of internal and external rotations, band face pulls, scarecrows and stretches.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

quick question: HOW did you guys tear the labrums and whatnot injuries?

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
              I'll let you take a wild guess. Hint: it was training related and frowned upon with DC
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Just had surgey on Feb. 15th to repair a torn Labrum,also had a thinning if the rotator cuff and bone spurs. Trying to sleep does suck, and therapy is painful my therapist and doctor say it will be 6 to 8 months before I'll even be able to try and get back to the gym and training will have to change. No super heavy weights, I used to powerlift so thats probably out.
                Breaking News: Use Discount Code RDB635 and Save 5% on orders At www.trueprotein.com MAKE YOUR ORDER TODAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
                  I tore my labrum in June of 2008. It was a SLAP lesion. I put off surgery until Jan 2010, when I realized that if I wanted to ever get the most of my training I'd have to do it. Like you said you can still do the movements with little pain, but for me there came a point where I just could not progress without pain, so I was just doing the same weights all the time. That and there started to be some size discrepancies, particularly in my lats and biceps, just due to the overcompensation from the other side. Plus when I would try to lift heavy the pain would last longer and longer, and I was having to get shots about once a month for a few months, and the doc was not keen on continuing that for the long haul.

The surgery was outpatient, the initial recovery sucked for sleeping. I started PT about 3 days after surgery, just doing arm circles and the like. I was fully healed with a green light to lift as I felt I could about 6 months post op. The first 2 months are brutal and you'll ask yourself why I did it, when I went from benching X to Y, but now 3 years later, I'm definitely glad I did it.

I think also, it depends on what you personally want out of your lifting and workouts. How old you are, are you going to want to lift heavy for the duration etc? Answer your goal questions, and then decide what route will best assist you in getting there.

Good luck with your recovery whichever you choose.

Thanks, glad it worked out for you. Seems everyone I have come across are really happy with it. I am 35 and was wanting to get into powerlifting so that kind of answers the question. You summed it up like what I have been thinking. amazing what I can do and what seems like a small fix has such a long recovery.

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  I had a dislocated shoulder and torn labrum. It took a while get it straightened out and I worked a lot on building stability. Believe it or not, but getting on DC and doing a lot of behind the neck pressing movements seemed to help..and having Homon help me get through it.

I also stopped doing flat bench and every morning I still go through a series of internal and external rotations, band face pulls, scarecrows and stretches.
                  So no surgery? Do you still have pain? My ortho said to stay away from any ohp unless I want more injurys.

not sure but I would say ohp or incline.

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  I'll let you take a wild guess. Hint: it was training related and frowned upon with DC
                  frowned upon cause of pec tears though, right? I haven't heard for this reason. I am still not sure what exactly caused mine. it just started to hurt one day then I couldn't lift. If I had to pinpoint it though, I would say either incline or ohp did it, those are what I can't do.

Originally posted by kannibal View Post
                  Just had surgey on Feb. 15th to repair a torn Labrum,also had a thinning if the rotator cuff and bone spurs. Trying to sleep does suck, and therapy is painful my therapist and doctor say it will be 6 to 8 months before I'll even be able to try and get back to the gym and training will have to change. No super heavy weights, I used to powerlift so thats probably out.
                  sorry to hear about your injury. hope it all works out for you. 6-8 mo seems long, I was happy when my ortho said 4 mo but I not there yet either. that sucks not being able to powerlift, guess I need to have a deeper conversation with my ortho. good luck on your recovery, I would like to know how it works out for you.

Comment

@mentalflex you a bad man doing flat bench
                    @dirtyj wtf ohp or incline? that sounds bad for me i do them a total of 3x a week

Comment

@dirtyj wtf ohp or incline? that sounds bad for me i do them a total of 3x a week
                      I just know those I can't do. flat bench I can still do 315+ but the more vertical I get the more pain I get. I will get some clarification when I got to PT next week. as I said also, the ohp is what my ortho said to stay away from for a list of reasons I can't remember.

Comment

dang. what made you think you tore it / how did you know pre-MRI at least

Comment

This was before my DC days...I was actually warming up and that just rolled out on me. But it needs to be noted that I also broke a few bones in my shoulder so it was very unstable.

It's been good since I started training DC two years ago. I think too much volume destroys it.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

in Nov 2011 i think i tore it in my right shoulder doing heavy rear delts on pec deck

Lot of popping and snapping when rotating my shoulder....hurt and ached for about a week but i was sick running fever when i did it so thought it was just fever causing it

went to the gym 5 days later laid on flat bench with 40lbs dumbells and my right arm could not press it up, tried to do a iso cybex chest press could not move a 25lb plate w right arm-NO Real pain thu little from straining. But this aweful popping snapping going on when rotating my shoulder

So short of it.....i had surgery 1 week later for something not at all related to the shoulder(figured i may be having surgery on the shoulder real soon)SO took 4 weeks off no training. I heated it with hot water bottle every night for 2-3 weeks then on and off while i laid up from the surgery i had(not on the shoulder)

But i laid off chest work -shoulder pressing didnt bother it too much and the higer i went in the pressing motion from flat bench the more weight and strength i had.

Came back 5 weeks later no real problems since. It was strange thu because after the first week there wasnt reall any pain just NO STRENGTH at all in pressing movements.
                            If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
                            :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
                            Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Originally posted by ROB550 View Post
                              in Nov 2011 i think i tore it in my right shoulder doing heavy rear delts on pec deck

Lot of popping and snapping when rotating my shoulder....hurt and ached for about a week but i was sick running fever when i did it so thought it was just fever causing it

went to the gym 5 days later laid on flat bench with 40lbs dumbells and my right arm could not press it up, tried to do a iso cybex chest press could not move a 25lb plate w right arm-NO Real pain thu little from straining. But this aweful popping snapping going on when rotating my shoulder

So short of it.....i had surgery 1 week later for something not at all related to the shoulder(figured i may be having surgery on the shoulder real soon)SO took 4 weeks off no training. I heated it with hot water bottle every night for 2-3 weeks then on and off while i laid up from the surgery i had(not on the shoulder)

But i laid off chest work -shoulder pressing didnt bother it too much and the higer i went in the pressing motion from flat bench the more weight and strength i had.

Came back 5 weeks later no real problems since. It was strange thu because after the first week there wasnt reall any pain just NO STRENGTH at all in pressing movements.
                              wolverine healing status

when i rotate my shoulder (or just my forearm from vertical to horizontally in front of me) i can notice some grinding in the location behind my anterior delt where the end of the clavicle meets. not sure if i should be worried

Comment

Working...
                              X