Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

deadlift, hips faster and midback break

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • deadlift, hips faster and midback break

    today i tried for 5 plate pr and somehow gathered a mini-entourage, and one of them later praised my lift and explained that he was a former str coach (60yo) and said it was a good lift even though my hips went up first.

    now for me that is natural and how i usually end up doing the deadlift. he says that its harder that way, but i have really never been able to deadlift heavy without letting my hips shoot up first.

    any ideas on how to fix this, or if it is trivial? he also said i am an endomorph (short arm short leg long torso) but i learned it to be a different definition, so he might be full of shit. who knows

    also i break at the mid-back for heavier weights--as long as it is not lower back i should still be safe right? i know upper back round is pretty normal for the pros.

  • #2
    Might be better to post this in the Powerlifting forum...

    Personally when pulling conventional I start with my hips pretty high. If you hips are "shooting" up you are wasting energy. Instead start with your hips in the position where the weights normally leave the floor, make sure your low back is arched or neutral, take the slack out of the bar, and rip it off the floor.

    His definition of an endomorph is not correct either as far as I know...
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

    Comment


    • #3
      Could you please post a video from a sagittal view?

      I sink my hips down to get a good stretch reflex. As I pull the slack out of the bar/"leg press the floor" my knees certainly extend to a greater degree than do my hips, causing the appearance of my hips rising first.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by btech View Post
        Could you please post a video from a sagittal view?

        I sink my hips down to get a good stretch reflex. As I pull the slack out of the bar/"leg press the floor" my knees certainly extend to a greater degree than do my hips, causing the appearance of my hips rising first.
        yep ill get a vid up tomorrow

        you lost me at siggital tho sounds like some astrology stuff. i dont believe in horoscopse

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
          yep ill get a vid up tomorrow

          you lost me at siggital tho sounds like some astrology stuff. i dont believe in horoscopse
          It means from the side.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
            Might be better to post this in the Powerlifting forum...

            Personally when pulling conventional I start with my hips pretty high. If you hips are "shooting" up you are wasting energy. Instead start with your hips in the position where the weights normally leave the floor, make sure your low back is arched or neutral, take the slack out of the bar, and rip it off the floor.

            His definition of an endomorph is not correct either as far as I know...
            It doesn't always mean you are starting with your hips too low. Could be a function about not "pulling back" enough, or having the hips "locked".

            I sometimes have an issue with my hips coming up because I "yank" the bar, which pulls me out of position, and causes me to come forward having my hips shoot up first. If I started with them any higher they would be level with my shoulders, and no way I would be able to keep a neutral spine.

            Rounding of the upper back "can" be ok, but also can cause you to get in front of the bar. I would wager if you post a video your rounding is not because you want to round, but because you are just losing upper back tightness, or maybe even "yanking".

            Really need to see a video.

            Comment


            • #7
              I suggest starting with your hips higher, so they dont shoot up. If your hips are shooting up, then its probably because the bar isnt able to travel in the right path from your initial set up. I think higher hips are fine, as long as it is natural to you and are able to generate enough force with your posterior chain (Glutes / Hams).

              Focus on:

              Chest up
              Head up
              Heels
              Hips through

              and you should be fine. My upper back rounds as well, as long as your lower back is flat, you will be fine. Just take it easy and move up slowly.
              "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN


              Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.


              http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

              Comment

              Working...
              X