Farmer Carries for cardio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer Carries for cardio

I just started doing these a few weeks ago and love them. They are a great way to get cardio in while also giving some extra upperback/trap work, grip strength, and core strength. I remember reading about them off t-nation (they have a handful of good coaches that usually put out good articles) and decided to try them. i started with just grabbing the 75s and walking about 20-25 yards and after 4-5 sets it had me sucking air and fried from my traps to my fingertips. These also just make you feel stronger in all your other lifts and im looking forward to using these as a form of cardio 2-3 times a week PWO. Any other experiences with this? Im also curious to try out less weight more distance per walk/more sets or more weight less distance or sets, etc.

Its a lot harder with dumbells. But since your probably dont have farmer handles, they will be fine for now, but you have to use a lot less weight.

When I was training strongman really hard I would not do anything over 200 FT. Because anymore than that I felt wasnt challenging enough and once you go for very long distance you run into injury problems in your trap/clavicle area, atleast me personally. I think it is due to the high TUT and the clavicle muslces "giving out" prior to your grip. So just watch that and understand when you need to cut your set, I actually injured myself doing farmers and put me out a couple weeks.

For farmers I liked doing around 4 sets total. I think your workout above is a good one, but it is very easy to overtrain grip IMO, so I would limit farmers to twice a week. You can do other things for cardio that are similiar, such as sand bag carriers or sled drags/prowler pushes.
    "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

Comment

great, thanks for the advice. Would you start progressing in weight between workouts then since you wouldnt be increasing the distance just like you would a regular exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by dcnewbie2010 View Post
        great, thanks for the advice. Would you start progressing in weight between workouts then since you wouldnt be increasing the distance just like you would a regular exercise?
        Yeah I would progress in weight, but the progression would be a little slow, so dont rush it. I.E. you dont have to progress every workout, but rather weekly.
        "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

Comment

Working...
        X