Knee sleeves and the Patella?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee sleeves and the Patella?

I was told by my Ortho that my right patella is not tracking properly - it is slightly off center. He has given me some exercises to help strengthen the knee muscles. I've seen the knee sleeves with a hole around the patella. Are they meant to help the patella to stay aligned? Would they be beneficial for me?

Thanks
    ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

I had that problem a few years back and it was due to tight IT bands. Foam roller and stretching is what cured it.
    -KidRok-
    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
      I had that problem a few years back and it was due to tight IT bands. Foam roller and stretching is what cured it.
      I've been rolling the IT bands for awhile now and it has helped some. Any particular IT stretches you recommend?

Comment

I basically just did the standing crossed legs stretch and the other was lying on my back pulling the knee diagonal across my body. Let me know if these descriptions are as shitty as they appear...lol...and I will try to find some pics.
        -KidRok-
        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

You want a hole in the patella because having material over the kneecap can put pressure on it, which will cause it to mistrack. That's why you want open-patella knee sleeves, and when using knee wraps it's VERY important to flex the quads hard when wrapping to lock the patella into place, helping it track correctly after the wraps are applied.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            You want a hole in the patella because having material over the kneecap can put pressure on it, which will cause it to mistrack. That's why you want open-patella knee sleeves, and when using knee wraps it's VERY important to flex the quads hard when wrapping to lock the patella into place, helping it track correctly after the wraps are applied.
            Interesting. I've seen lots of posts on knee sleeves, this is the first I've seen advocating the open type.

Do you feel that way across the board, or just for people with patellar issues?
            You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
              Interesting. I've seen lots of posts on knee sleeves, this is the first I've seen advocating the open type.

Do you feel that way across the board, or just for people with patellar issues?
              As far as I know and have heard, that's for everybody. Heavy pressure on the patella will cause it to mistrack even in people whose knees aren't fucked by fate. I'm sure the tiny bit of pressure from a closed-patella neoprene sleeve isn't all that bad, but it can't help.
              kind of a douche

Comment

I use Inzer knee wraps (used to use sleeves which also worked well) but if my patella starts feeling junky I create some flexion gapping (2m42s) and open up the suprapatellar pouch (3m14s)

Episode 107: A Friend Calls With Knee"itis" Below the Patella

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your recover man!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all.

KR I know the stretch lying down, but not sure from your description about the standing one.

Comment

Sammich, I guess I am not convinced that pressure on the patella is always a bad thing. I know you have had experience with this so its obvious that not everybody handles patellar compression well, but in PT we commonly use Mcconnell Taping to treat patellofemoral syndromes in people with anterior knee pain. Basically, what I feel like we are doing the most is putting compression on the patella to help improve its tracking. Typically, we use the taping for people who have laterally displaced knees, and the tape then pulls the patella medially, however, research doesn't line up perfectly with this theory as to why it works. Check out this link http://www.mikereinold.com/2010/12/w...ing-works.html

Maybe its the really tight compression that causes the problem, as generally I do not recommend knee sleeves that are overly tight. But I do think some form of compression to the patella can actually be beneficial as I have seen it work many times.
                    "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
                      Sammich, I guess I am not convinced that pressure on the patella is always a bad thing. I know you have had experience with this so its obvious that not everybody handles patellar compression well, but in PT we commonly use Mcconnell Taping to treat patellofemoral syndromes in people with anterior knee pain. Basically, what I feel like we are doing the most is putting compression on the patella to help improve its tracking. Typically, we use the taping for people who have laterally displaced knees, and the tape then pulls the patella medially, however, research doesn't line up perfectly with this theory as to why it works. Check out this link http://www.mikereinold.com/2010/12/w...ing-works.html

Maybe its the really tight compression that causes the problem, as generally I do not recommend knee sleeves that are overly tight. But I do think some form of compression to the patella can actually be beneficial as I have seen it work many times.
                      Some sorts of compression are good, yes. You're talking about controlled pressure applied in a very specific way (with the taping). I was referring more to heavy compression, whether from tight knee sleeves or knee wraps. That kind of pressure tends to make an otherwise normally-functioning patella track out of the groove. But then again, I tend to be very cautious about that, since my knees are genetically bad and are very prone to that stuff.
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        Some sorts of compression are good, yes. You're talking about controlled pressure applied in a very specific way (with the taping). I was referring more to heavy compression, whether from tight knee sleeves or knee wraps. That kind of pressure tends to make an otherwise normally-functioning patella track out of the groove. But then again, I tend to be very cautious about that, since my knees are genetically bad and are very prone to that stuff.
                        I get what you are saying. I just wanted to make sure that we weren't thinking that all forms of knee compression are bad. I have never used tight wraps or sleeves but have heard people report the same thing you are talking about.
                        "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Working...
                        X