Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executive? But What's Missing

Hey Guys,
    First off MODS if this is in the wrong place please move it as you see fit. A little background, I started my DC journey around 143 pounds and during the course of 4 years (and some stops with John Meadows) or so put a good 60 pounds on, and put me in stage/show/photo shape at about 175ish. I was very proud and to this day still rock my original DC shirts and even a few that DH "passed down to me."

Here's the problem, I've recently moved from AZ to Chicago, and took what some would call a "promotion" and the company I now work for considers me an "executive." This was the right move compensation and professional development wise and while I'll never be a bodybuilder in the traditional sense or EVER EVEN POSSIBLE (even if I drank Phil Heath's urine every day pre and post w/o) be any type of top am. That being said, I love the lifestyle, I love getting under the iron and I love getting bigger. The problem now becomes I am working 14 hours a day (believe me I'm not complaining) and I can't really get in my groove. This all started back when I was prepping for the Excalibur and was passively interviewing, meeting and networking. Well at about week 8 I contracted pnuemonia and nearly died, my doc at the time said take some time off and focus on your professional career and life choices. I did just that. The problem is I can't seem to get my "groove back" and it's been 4 months. I've noticeably lost muscle and weight and am sitting at a unimpressive 181 with not much mass to show for it.

I guess my question for you guys is how do I manage working 14 hour days, and get back in the gym, bc guys and I'm not being sarcastic, I'm in the office by 5:45-6 am and out around 8 pm. Passed out around 9 (with a 20 min commute) just enough time to get at least one portioned meal.

PLEASE know that I'm not whinning or bitching, or any of the sort, I just wondering if any of ya'll had any experience with getting back in the swing of things, even it's a traditional 5 day program, 2way, 3way, or MoutainDog routine, anything. I seriously get out of the shower and say "what happened to me" again no pity party here bc I'm still bigger than my fellow executives, but I want more.

Thoughts?

Again thanks for reading.
    Respectfully Submitted,
    JT

Proud to be a DH Disciple
    http://www.dustyhanshaw.com

www.jamestucci.blogspot.com

When this happened to me 10yrs ago I did heavy duty HIT. It didn't keep me in top condition but really kept me sane. 1 x 20minute workout during lunch 2 x or even less a week and I still got asked about where I trained. I did Mike's traditional workout of 1 supersetted chest, 1 supersetted back width and 1 set deads, 4 days later I think it was calves then leg extensions ss with leg press. 4 days later 1 set side raises, 1 set pulldowns 1 set dips, then 4 days later legs again then repeat.

As stated it didn't keep me in my best shape but my hours were insane.
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

Can you take a lunch hour or slightly more, or is that frowned upon for an executive? If so, is there a gym relatively close by that you could get in to do maybe one bodypart a day? How about weekends? Fortunately, I've never just been limited to training on the weekends, but I know people who do. I would not know how to train effectively on just the weekends, but I'm sure others may have some ideas...

Comment

I work 9 hours a day with an hour+ commute at each end. I like to eat breakfast before work and shower so I rise at 5:30am and get home after 6:00pm. Your situation sounds even more difficult with the work day itself being so long. What I've found helpful is to structure whatever type of training you're going to follow such that the workouts are 30 minutes and only 3-4 times a week (weights) and doing cardio on off days for the same duration if necessary/you want to. Psychologically, I'm not overwhelmed if I know it's only 30 minutes. When the workouts are 60-90 minutes after a long day, plus travel, shower, post-workout nutrition, post post-workout nutrition you start to feel like you have no life when other aspects of your life are already demanding. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I have struggled with the same type of situation before. I would suggest to first not be unrealistic with yourself. I don't think you will be able to focus on training the way you did before this new position. Set new goals that may be more "fitness" oriented even. That goes for in and out of the gym. Not every job provides the luxury to eat 4 perfectly proportioned meals while at a desk etc. Make the most of your days off. If that means training Saturday and Sunday with a quick session on Wednesday than so be it.

And really, it's about priorities. Don't feel guilty about shifting the focus to your career. The gym will always be there. This career opportunity may not be.
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Yup what adam said, that eing the case use Dante's maintenance routine if you want a workout or do 2 workouts on the weekend upper lower and some easy quick pace stuff duting the week twice.

Comment

Thanks guys! The career is the focus but the gym/training was definitely part of my life that I feel is missing. Perhaps it's only temporary....
              Respectfully Submitted,
              JT

Proud to be a DH Disciple
              http://www.dustyhanshaw.com

www.jamestucci.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by James Tucci View Post
                Hey Guys,
                First off MODS if this is in the wrong place please move it as you see fit. A little background, I started my DC journey around 143 pounds and during the course of 4 years (and some stops with John Meadows) or so put a good 60 pounds on, and put me in stage/show/photo shape at about 175ish. I was very proud and to this day still rock my original DC shirts and even a few that DH "passed down to me."

Here's the problem, I've recently moved from AZ to Chicago, and took what some would call a "promotion" and the company I now work for considers me an "executive." This was the right move compensation and professional development wise and while I'll never be a bodybuilder in the traditional sense or EVER EVEN POSSIBLE (even if I drank Phil Heath's urine every day pre and post w/o) be any type of top am. That being said, I love the lifestyle, I love getting under the iron and I love getting bigger. The problem now becomes I am working 14 hours a day (believe me I'm not complaining) and I can't really get in my groove. This all started back when I was prepping for the Excalibur and was passively interviewing, meeting and networking. Well at about week 8 I contracted pnuemonia and nearly died, my doc at the time said take some time off and focus on your professional career and life choices. I did just that. The problem is I can't seem to get my "groove back" and it's been 4 months. I've noticeably lost muscle and weight and am sitting at a unimpressive 181 with not much mass to show for it.

I guess my question for you guys is how do I manage working 14 hour days, and get back in the gym, bc guys and I'm not being sarcastic, I'm in the office by 5:45-6 am and out around 8 pm. Passed out around 9 (with a 20 min commute) just enough time to get at least one portioned meal.

PLEASE know that I'm not whinning or bitching, or any of the sort, I just wondering if any of ya'll had any experience with getting back in the swing of things, even it's a traditional 5 day program, 2way, 3way, or MoutainDog routine, anything. I seriously get out of the shower and say "what happened to me" again no pity party here bc I'm still bigger than my fellow executives, but I want more.

Thoughts?

Again thanks for reading.
                Here's the problem, which you probably already know...you have goals in direct conflict with each other. What it takes to reach your physical goals are not possible under your current professional situation. So, you have a choice. Put one on the back-burner temporarily, try to do both and potentially burn yourself out, or re-assess your goals. Typically as humans we only remain happy and satisfied with continual growth. But, we also need balance. Usually if we spend all our time in one area we neglect others and that bothers us. I'd recommend assessing your goals first at the very least every year or so because often our goals change as our circumstances do...we age, we meet a girl, we get married, we have kids, we get new professional opportunities etc. If you've never taken the time to write a vision or mission statement, or if you haven't updated it within the last year that may help. It can serve as a daily guide to living in accordance with your values. Here's a short video on leadership, self discovery, vision:

http://play.simpletruths.com/movie/r...id-leadership/

You may also want to try doing a personal inventory of skills or a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) analysis. I have some links from my current class in leadership but they are all paywalled. I bet you can find some by googling it. Here is a good video by the great John Wooden on leadership and how to examine yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4BUj...eature=related

Here is a link to a free character strengths profile that you may find beneficial

https://www.viame.org/www/

Writing out a mission statement and vision statement may be helpful. Here is a few links to show you how to do that.

http://www.birnbaumassociates.com/mi...ion-values.htm

http://www.franklincovey.com/msb/?c=MissionStmntC

As far as practical suggestions in the interim I'd suggest going with a maintenance plan like a 3/day per week program. I just wrote one for a friend of mine that just got promoted to a managerial position in his IT department. He went from working 37 hrs/week to 60 and just had his second child. Now he trains on Saturday (uppper body push/pull), Sunday (lower body quad/hamstring dominant), then a full body day on Wednesday evening after work. That has worked well for him, but he also has no bb'ing aspirations. Hope those tools are useful, let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
                Last edited by ; 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Hey,

Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats on your promotion by the way, sounds very impressive!

I have been in situations like this and the biggest thing for me atleast was mentally knowing that when I was able to work out, it was a treat and take advantage of it and not get upset if I couldnt workout.

Weekends were the best, I would train very hard on both saturday and sunday. (not sure if you have weekends off?).

Then during the week, I would do whatever I could. Usually it meant doing pull up / push up/ sit up work somehow. Usually that doesnt take much time.

So maybe you can swing something like this.

Saturday - Upper Body
                  Sunday - Lower Body
                  Wednesday - Body Weight Execises or Gun show workout with dumbells at home.

I think you can still get some work in or at the very least maintain a very decent physique.

For diet, liquid meals were golden and saved me. You can get a whole food breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then you can fill in the remaining gaps with protein shakes and be ok.

Hope this helps and best of lucky with your current situation, sounds like you are doing very well career wise.

-MM
                  "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

Comment

Jim wendler has an article on training for busy men you might find helpful. "Effective Training for busy men" is the title.

Comment

can you train on the weekends Sat-Sun

I travel about 50-100 thousand miles a year, I have a home gym that i invested over about 15 years, then I have joined both Snap and Anytime Fitness due to when i travel i always find one or the other close to where im staying

Buy a pair of PowerBlock Dumbells and cheap barbell goes up to 100lbs or so for home

someone had mentioned Upper body Sat and Lower on sunday-train arms on wed night
                      Try to do some type cardio Tues and thurs night for 30 mins if possible

If you could invest in a home gym that be the best bet then you could train at home during the week for 45 mins or so
                      Last edited by ROB550; 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM.
                      If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
                      :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
                      Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Working...
                      X