Your personal favorite exercises for each bodypart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your personal favorite exercises for each bodypart

First off I am almost certain this has already been addressed, but after using the search function I cannot find it.

Second, I really enjoy reading other peoples ideas/thoughts and I am always looking for fresh information. I learned a long time ago that there really is no right or wrong way to go about things. Adding muscle/strength is not an exact science...yet.

Third, I am sharing my personal opinions based on Dante's post regarding mechanical positions. Here was his quote "The whole concept was putting people in mechanical positions in which everyday normal gym goers usual lifts were not working."

Lastly, I have been training for 28 years, I am 44 now. I have competed in powerlifting. I have never competed in bblding but I do read alot, have a lot of practical knowledge and have been around "the game" with many hardcore guys/gals for years. That said, I also know the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. OK so here is the deal, I will post mine and I look forward to seeing what you guys post as I am always looking for new ideas.

Head to toe these seem to be the most beneficial to me:

Traps= Rack pulls from above the knee. This allows me to use a lot more weight than I can from below the knee as I can rep out 100 lbs over my max DL and my traps ache the next day.

Side Delts= Would love to say presses but honestly its DB lateral raises for very high reps. Pinkys up. Perfect form. Sets of 25-20-15-12 starting with the 15 lb dbs and moving up. I know its sounds like girly weights but delts is one movement I really need to isolate and pump with reps..reps...reps.

Rear delts= Seated cable face pull aparts. So get an incline bench and position it like a standard chair. Set the pulley to eye level and attach 2 ropes to it OR use some loooong handles that allow you to spread them as you pull. Pull to your face while simultaneously spreading apart as wide as you can. No fewer than 20 reps...very little rest between sets. Rear delts get swollen and BARK after 3 sets.

Front delts= Never isolate them cuz I do so much pressing, dips, inclines etc. So for these I have no recommendation.

Chest= Low Incline Smith Press stopping 1" short of lockout. Moderate weights rep range 8-12.

Back width= Parallel grip weighted pull ups for sets of 8-10.

Back thickness= Krock db rows, heavy weight, some body English. A few ultra heavy sets in the 8-10 range and a finisher at 25 reps.

Triceps= Scott Cable Tricep Extensions for high reps. I am talking 25 reps or so. Nothing else hammers my triceps like these suckers.

Biceps= Arm blaster EZ bar curls. I just had to order an arm blaster online. It is the only device I have found that forces me to use only biceps. Standard 8-12 rep range.

Forearms= Meh...I have been using the Skip method of no wrist straps so that is the best for me, but if I had to pick a single exercise it would be cheat one arm db hammer curls. Heavy weight with some swing. Only 1 db at a time.

Abs= Easy one as it fries me, the ab wheel off the knees for multiple sets of 20+.

Quads= Hack squat machine for high(er) reps of 12-15

Hamstrings= Lying leg curl machine. I want to like RDL or good mornings but my low back is a problem.

Calves= calf sled. All the gyms have them...it allows you to do a calf press similar to the leg press machine but its at an angle. If not this, then calf press on a leg press machine.

Brain= This website

OK please pile on as I am always looking for out-of-the-box ideas.
    Swaminator
    Intense Muscle Competitor
    Last edited by Swaminator; 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM.
    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Back width= another term for vertical plane
    Back thickness= another term for horizontal plane

Just so you guys don't think I am trying to say one only builds width and the other thickness. Just terminology.
    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Franco Columbu had a list once, and he said something like, "for every body part, there are ten exercises. Only five of them are any good, and only one of them is the best.

His list was (if I remember correctly);
      shoulders - military press
      chest - bench
      back - "front chins"
      "thighs" - squat
      "overall strength" - deadlift

I put stuff into quotes because he obviously uses different terminology.

Comment

Originally posted by btech View Post
        Franco Columbu had a list once, and he said something like, "for every body part, there are ten exercises. Only five of them are any good, and only one of them is the best.

chest - bench
        back - "front chins"
        "thighs" - squat

Nice. And I was posting from a hypertrophy point of view. My background is PL but now I am older and have one last chance of building some "beach muscle" haha. So if I could only pick 1 exercise per body part the rest of my life I would certainly pick Franco's list. But, purely from a mechanical advantage/sweet spot point of view...my list works for me at this point in my life based on my current goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
          Nice. And I was posting from a hypertrophy point of view. My background is PL but now I am older and have one last chance of building some "beach muscle" haha. So if I could only pick 1 exercise per body part the rest of my life I would certainly pick Franco's list. But, purely from a mechanical advantage/sweet spot point of view...my list works for me at this point in my life based on my current goals.
          Agreed. Biomechanically, we're all different.

You mentioned the PL background, and you picked lying leg curls. What do you like about these over the GHR?

I wish I could do the ab roller. Did you get better at it by having stronger abs, or is it sort of like riding a unicycle - you have to practice it as it's a skill on its own?

Comment

chest - bench
            back - "front chins"
            "thighs" - squat

That's from the May 2006 issue of FLEX, which I have in front of me because I had a subscription years back and I knew I had heard that somewhere before. The article is called Strength Rules on page 166 where insight is given by Eddie Robinson, Chris Cormier, Kevin Levrone, Ronnie Coleman, Johnnie Jackson, and Franco Columbu regarding building strength (possibly ghost-written/paraphrased).

"Let's say there are 10 different exercises for a bodypart. Only five of them are any good, and only one if the best. For chest, the bench press is absolute; for legs, squats; for back, front chins; for strength, deadlifts."

Levrone's section was my favourite. He stated that his whole attitude right from the start was to increase his strength and to always do the basics. The last part of his section said: "Think 'overload' for both poundage and protein. My biggest strength gains came from consuming 6,500 calories a day, mostly protein."

Anyway, back on topic. For me:

Quads - Hack squats because I always make consistent progress in poundage and usually still get the same amount of reps.

Hamstrings - Lying leg curls with a more deliberate negative.

Calves - Seated calf raises because I used to neglect my soleus.

Back - T-bar rows (one end of the bar in the corner, plates at the other end using a v-handle).

Biceps - Preacher curls because when the last rep gets stuck, pressing my chest into the pad slightly provides enough leverage to get past the sticking point allowing me to do my own forced rep (kind of).

Forearms - Barbell wrist curls because of the contraction it provides.

Chest - Flat/Incline/Decline barbell presses. All 3 are awesome.

Shoulders - Wide-grip upright rows; pinky finger around the groove where the knurl ends or slightly wider. The straight bar forces the movement into a fixed position such that at the top of the movement, it's all side delts. Seated barbell presses are a close second.

Triceps - It's a tie between close-grip bench presses and dips. Close-grips I always progress on at a fast rate similar to my hack squats, but having plates attached to a dip belt and cranking out reps feels great too.

Abs - Crunches

None of mine are out of the box, pretty basic.

Comment

Agreed. Biomechanically, we're all different.

You mentioned the PL background, and you picked lying leg curls. What do you like about these over the GHR?

I wish I could do the ab roller. Did you get better at it by having stronger abs, or is it sort of like riding a unicycle - you have to practice it as it's a skill on its own?
              We don't have a GHR at my gym. We do have a low back extension thing but it seems to barely hit the hammies. I WISH we had a good GHR. I used one once and it fried my hammies. So, if I had the machine it would be in the mix. Regarding ab roller....I just did it...kept at it. My abs ache the day after. Sneezing is pure misery :-)

Comment

Frank,
                For triceps I have been doing close-grip BP using a slingshot which allows me to overload the lockout. So far I have loved it due to the poundages. I still cannot rank it above the Scott extensions cuz I have only been at it 3 weeks. But it seems to have some serious potential.
                JB

Comment

Thanks for posting the article excerpt Frank.

Comment

Great thread topic!

Chest - Incline DB Bench (although I do BB more now due to getting them in place)
                    Back Width - Weighted Parallel Chins
                    Back Thickness - Upright BB Rows
                    Tri - Skull Deads
                    Bi - DB Hammer Curls
                    Legs - Deads

Comment

Holy shit, where you been? I did a double take when I saw your name on the thread.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                      Instagram: @intensemuscle
                      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Chest: power floor flyes (dumbell flyes on the floor, not on a bench)
                        back wideth: high rep pull-ups
                        back thickness: one-arm dumbell row
                        spinal: rack pulls
                        traps: barbell shrugs
                        quads: modified bulgarian split squat
                        hams: russian leg curl
                        delts: wide-grip upright row
                        triceps: close-grip bench press
                        biceps: one-arm preacher curl
                        forearm: hammer curl
                        calves: I don't know
                        abs: ab wheel

(Interesting thread!)

Comment

Body-Deads

Back-Deads, hammer low row, bent row, pullover machine (David brand then hammer strenth.

Delts-old school lateral machine....standing with handles at arms length, military presses (the did not hurt last time so...they qill be my favorite if it continues

Chest- rv grip smith, bench press (can't do em), hammer strength lying bench (almost slight decline), close grip bench

Quads- leverage leg press (like the free motion unit, old school vertical leg press, Smith ghen bb squats (yea for effectiveness bb squats rule all but I like the presses better)

Hams- deads, stiff deads

Bis- hammer strength machine, ez bar curls, hammer db curls, rv chins *rv chins really #1 oe 2

Tris- french press with cable, lying ez extentions, dips?

N eck-hammer strength 4 way
                          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                          Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                            Frank,
                            For triceps I have been doing close-grip BP using a slingshot which allows me to overload the lockout. So far I have loved it due to the poundages. I still cannot rank it above the Scott extensions cuz I have only been at it 3 weeks. But it seems to have some serious potential.
                            JB
                            I had to youtube Scott Extensions. Definitely looks like a solid movement that provides a great contraction.

No problem. It was always good when a magazine had something interesting/actually useful every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by titanium_spine View Post
                              Chest: power floor flyes (dumbell flyes on the floor, not on a bench)
                              back wideth: high rep pull-ups
                              back thickness: one-arm dumbell row
                              spinal: rack pulls
                              traps: barbell shrugs
                              quads: modified bulgarian split squat
                              hams: russian leg curl
                              delts: wide-grip upright row
                              triceps: close-grip bench press
                              biceps: one-arm preacher curl
                              forearm: hammer curl
                              calves: I don't know
                              abs: ab wheel

(Interesting thread!)

^^^ do you have a video of this? I am not getting much love from chest exercises lately and this one sounds unique.

Comment

Working...
                              X