large meals, digestion, chewing, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• large meals, digestion, chewing, etc

did some digestion research and was kind of shocked to learn it takes 75-80hrs (sounds like BS) for food to exit your body after you put it in ur mouth. wow.

here are some things i could not find answers to:

1. does a decent amount of food go undigested in large meals?
    2. how does chewing affect nutrient absorption?
    3. where did the 30g protein digestion per meal come from??

im not buying the 80 hours thing. i know that at times when my metabolism has ramped up, ill pretty much be in the bathroom five and six times a day. its just hard for me to believe that if im eating 4000 calories a day all that food is just sitting there for three days. im sure someone else like homonunculous can give you some more scientific answers to your questions.

Comment

Yeah I don't buy the 80 hrs thing either. Maybe certain foods in a person that has a low cal intake, but yeah eat 4000 calories a day and it won't be hanging around for almost 4 days. I guess there's only one way to be sure though... The corn test...
      It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

The problem with saying something as blanketing as "75-80 hours" is that it doesn't take into account all the different variables that could be at play in a meal, i.e. food volume, fiber content, diuretic properties, etc.

Go home, eat a full blown Thanksgiving meal, then track how long it takes you to see the corn in your shit.

Then eat a 1lb bag of corn, covered in hot sauce and fat free potato chips made with Olestra, and track the time again. I bet the two times aren't even close.
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

reading this corn stuff...good start to the morning!

Comment

Here's what you do... I got this one from John Meadows from another website:

From Mountaindog1 (John Meadows):

How to tell if you are absorbing your food well

My favorite expression is "you are what you eat has eaten". I heard another one from Phil H that I thought was great. He said "you are what you absorb".

So how can you tell if you absorb food well?

Bowel transit time is a great way to tell.

1) Buy some charcoal caps.
            2) Take between 5 and 10 grams on an empty stomach.
            3) When you see a darkened stool, figure out how many hours it has been since you took the charcoal.

Interpreting results
            If it was less than 12 hours, you are probably not absorbing everything optimally.

If it was 12-24 hours, you are right on the money.

If it was greater than 24 hours, than you have food sitting in your colon too long which can lead to major issues (food gets absorbed back into your bloodstream).
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Watched a TV show the other day that said the average person only poops 3 times per week. It also said that exercise sped up food transit to as little as 12 hrs and that this was optimal.

I know I'm a 12hr guy with multiple poops most days.

Never any smell either or farts (My wife may not agree with this.) me and the queen are like that.
              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
              Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
              ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
              X