Sweep without squats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep without squats?

I want to bring my non existent quad sweep up & fast, 14wks fast to be precise for the World championships in Italy. I can no longer do any form of squat with the bar across shoulders behind or in front, no hack squats, all because I have a funny shaped spine right shoulder higher, left hip higher, was born this way. 6wks ago L1&L2 decided to pop out of place & trap several nerves. Chiropractor said it was a long issue waiting to happen & I was very lucky.

In that 6wk my right side lost a lot of tissue, as I had trapped nerves & couldn't even feel my right leg.
    Mainly focussing now on leg extension feet together, leg press, walking lunges. Never had a protruding sweep from the above the knees, is there any suggesting that may bring it up now nerves released, apart from a leg transplant :hysterica

Linny

NABBA Miss World Italy 2013 - 3rd
    NABBA Miss Universe 2012 - 1st
    NABBA World Brazil 2011 - 5th
    NABBA Miss Britain Champion 2011-1st
    NABBA Universe 2010 Trained Figure- 5th
    NABBA UK 2010 Trained Figure-1st
    NABBA England 2010 Trained Figure-2nd

I have had good results with a bit modified bulgarian split squats:

I use an improvised dip belt (thick tubing with a chain going through), so I attach the weight-plates and they just hang from the waist down. The rear foor is elevated on a sturdy surface, and I'm keeping the balance by touching the edges of the power rack with both hands (open palms).

This helps to eliminate the balance factor from the bulgarian split squat, and you can just concentrate on grinding out the reps... When you reach failure, you can even help yourself up a bit 'cause your hands are on the rack...

This also appears to be a very knee friendly exercise, too. My knees are all worn-out from 20 years of heavy squatting, and since I've been doing this exercise - my knees & hips have never felt better... (not to mention that there's no loading on the back).

There is a down-side, too... You have to put some towels around the chains that go out of the tubing, otherwise they can dig deeply into the quads... So, the set-up is a bit of a hassle...

I hope that I've managed to describe this well, english is not my language...

Comment

Try Scott's "Smith-Hack-squat", they may be doable for you.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43580
      Kidrok (Hop)
      Super Moderator
      Last edited by Kidrok (Hop); 03-08-2013, 09:30 AM.
      -KidRok-
      "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
      5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by Lin1 View Post
        I want to bring my non existent quad sweep up & fast, 14wks fast to be precise for the World championships in Italy. I can no longer do any form of squat with the bar across shoulders behind or in front, no hack squats, all because I have a funny shaped spine right shoulder higher, left hip higher, was born this way. 6wks ago L1&L2 decided to pop out of place & trap several nerves. Chiropractor said it was a long issue waiting to happen & I was very lucky.

In that 6wk my right side lost a lot of tissue, as I had trapped nerves & couldn't even feel my right leg.
        Mainly focussing now on leg extension feet together, leg press, walking lunges. Never had a protruding sweep from the above the knees, is there any suggesting that may bring it up now nerves released, apart from a leg transplant :hysterica

Linny

It sounds like you're limited to either leg press, lunge variations, or single leg variations, so here's some options:

Dumbbell lunge (also to platform)
        Dumbbell reverse lunge (also to deficient or walking)
        Dumbbell split squat
        Single leg squat
        Skater squat
        Bulgarian split squat (rear foot elevated)
        Deadlifts
        Dumbbell front squat (not sure if you can do this)
        Overhead squat
        Goblet squat
        Dumbbell step up
        Also any sort of sprint resistance like uphill sprinting, sled pushes, etc.

A lot of this stuff because it's single leg will require more balance which means it's harder to bang out reps and focus on hypertrophy, but you can always superset a bilateral stable exercise like a leg press or sled.

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
          Try Scott's "Smith-Hack-squat", they may be doable for you.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43580
          When I saw this thread, this is the first exercise that came to mind!

What about using that belt squat belt that Scott was demonstating? Can you get your hands on a belt squat like the one Scott is using? http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48333
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

How about squat machines where you have your back against a flat surface? I've found that being able to keep your back flat and straight helps mine, as well. Something like a hack squat machine.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

What I've been seeing a lot more now, is guys doing upright leg presses on a Smith Machine lying on the ground.
              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Will digest this tomorrow on refeed after work, as its late here now. There was me thinking I'd be limited, thanx so much, really do appreciate the informative responses

I did the damage on a v-squat machine, now I know why I've steered clear of the damn thing, so many have damaged themselves in the gym with this. Since this the hammer strength hack which is more or less seated, hurts the same place of the injury.

Lots of info, thanx, big hugs x

Comment

What about the machine that you sit in and squat down in? Kinda like a hack/sled squat thing-o? Lots of gyms I go to have one, not sure how popular they are over there.

Its like this, but the ones I have seen have a shorter back plate. So it is almost like all the pressure is on your arse and your back stays unstressed.

http://youtu.be/WtpM4QFSM6g
                  TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                  2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

That's the 1 at my gym causes the pain immediately, used to use 540lbs now just 22lbs causes problems. This is the machine I did it on Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362810748.972604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1504939

Comment

Check the video out again. It's completely different. It only pushes on the bum/coccyx area. That one puts pressure on your shoulders and down through the spine whereas this one leaves your shoulders and back alone.

Comment

Yes it's the same one I use, it's too painful in back, the pic above is the v-squat that the back went on.

Comment

That sucks that you can't use that one! Your hips must be way out? Mine are out and is it quite comfortable for me.
                          Sorry I was no help!

Comment

My right shoulder is higher than left, my left hip is higher than right lol. Everyone has been a fantastic help, lots of new things to play with x

Comment

I'm surprised nobody suggested this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNlrHOXw2s

You can also check out Homon's thread on this exercise,
                              http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48411

In the last link Scott is doing the exercise for a Muscle Round, loading parameters are a bit different than if you were to use straight sets, but I think the Somersault squat is something you could do after your heavy leg press sets for high(er ?) reps to pump out your vastus mediallis, or even as a pre-exhaustion exercise before you move to leg presses.

Try it out!
                              0001Delta
                              Heavyweight Member
                              Last edited by 0001Delta; 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM.
                              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X