Carb meals 2 hour pre workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb meals 2 hour pre workout?

How many guys use carb meals the meal prior to training? Or find a pro fat meal leaves them feeling better for the session due to hormonal responses carbs induce.

It's something that is becoming more apparent in my diet, that my lethargy is increasing , and a pro fat meal leaves me feeling more revved. My non training day diet has my energy levels very stable. This is something I intend to discuss with Homon, as he calls the shots , but was curious to others findings on this

You know where I fall on this.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by xjpx View Post
      How many guys use carb meals the meal prior to training? Or find a pro fat meal leaves them feeling better for the session due to hormonal responses carbs induce.

It's something that is becoming more apparent in my diet, that my lethargy is increasing , and a pro fat meal leaves me feeling more revved. My non training day diet has my energy levels very stable. This is something I intend to discuss with Homon, as he calls the shots , but was curious to others findings on this
      I think it depends on what kind of workout you're talking. I'm assuming you're talking a resistance-only training session that is very hypertrophy/strength oriented. I also think it depends on your goal and how concerned with being lean you are. I'm assuming we talking a bodybuilding approach of build muscle & minimize fat gain or reduce it. If that's the case I'd probably agree with you. Some of the research behind things like Intermittent Fasting and Carb Backloading would suggest working out in the afternoon on either an empty stomach or just eating a pro/fat meal for lunch and training 2-3 hours later, then avoiding carbs all day before you lift, then getting in all your carbs post-w/o. But, I wouldn't have said that 4 years ago, so who knows what tomorrow's research will say!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
        You know where I fall on this.

Skip
        I do indeed , and it did work very well

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
          I think it depends on what kind of workout you're talking. I'm assuming you're talking a resistance-only training session that is very hypertrophy/strength oriented. I also think it depends on your goal and how concerned with being lean you are. I'm assuming we talking a bodybuilding approach of build muscle & minimize fat gain or reduce it. If that's the case I'd probably agree with you. Some of the research behind things like Intermittent Fasting and Carb Backloading would suggest working out in the afternoon on either an empty stomach or just eating a pro/fat meal for lunch and training 2-3 hours later, then avoiding carbs all day before you lift, then getting in all your carbs post-w/o. But, I wouldn't have said that 4 years ago, so who knows what tomorrow's research will say!
          I certainly wouldn't get on with a backload. I would start to flag in the gym quite quickly if I hadn't taken in carbs prior to training. The lethargy from brekki and meal 2 doesn't bother me. But then in the two hours pre training I do often feel that a pro fat meal here leaves me able to take in my workout shakes bloat free. I think it's something I need to play with. But am still interested in what others feel from pro carb vs pro fat 2-3 hours pre wo

Comment

Personally I have my strongest, most intense workouts fasted, first thing in the morning. I don't get to do that very often but, they are consistently my best. I am also able to push a lot more food throughout the day going that route.

That said, I keep a pretty low carb consumption most of the time and, rarely, go above 300g a day(at 230lbs).

Comment

Originally posted by xjpx View Post
              I certainly wouldn't get on with a backload. I would start to flag in the gym quite quickly if I hadn't taken in carbs prior to training. The lethargy from brekki and meal 2 doesn't bother me. But then in the two hours pre training I do often feel that a pro fat meal here leaves me able to take in my workout shakes bloat free. I think it's something I need to play with. But am still interested in what others feel from pro carb vs pro fat 2-3 hours pre wo
              Out of curiosity have you ever tried it with any consistency? Because especially for a bb'er whose body is so accustomed to taking in food at the same time every day your body will release certain substances etc. in preparation for food because it always gets it at the same time. Once you fight through that process for a few days it really goes away. It's just a matter of breaking down that physiological response and that mental block that thinks "I have to eat". Granted, it's not for everyone, but those feelings and sensations do go away with practice. John Berardi at Precision Nutrition has a decent 5-part video seminar on IF here:

Here's everything you need to decide whether IF is a good fit for yourself (or a client) and, if so, how to use IF for best results.
              Last edited by ; 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity have you ever tried it with any consistency? Because especially for a bb'er whose body is so accustomed to taking in food at the same time every day your body will release certain hormones etc. in preparation for food because it always gets it at the same time. Once you fight through that process for a few days it really goes away. It's just a matter of breaking down that physiological response and that mental block that thinks "I have to eat". Granted, it's not for everyone, but those feelings and sensations do go away with practice. John Berardi at Precision Nutrition has a decent 5-part video seminar on IF here:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/in...asting-video-1
                I have , and used it with others. And I simply don't progress, gaining muscle for me is easy. It literally has been progress lifts, progress food and I grow. Pulling back on food means I stop growing. no one got to 300 pounds not eating . But right now I feel the quality of my sessions could be improved slightly by pulling carbs prior

Comment

have you tried karboload? i eat around 2 1/2 hours before and drink karboload about 40 mins before my workout. works good for me. no bloat

Comment

Originally posted by noexcuse View Post
                    have you tried karboload? i eat around 2 1/2 hours before and drink karboload about 40 mins before my workout. works good for me. no bloat
                    My carb intake at the workout perimeter isn't the issue, I get on great with karbolyn taken from 30mins pre to end of session. The situation is pro fat vs pro carb meals 2 hours pre session and how the hormonal and physiological responses from the two diff approaches affect the quality of my sessions

Comment

Out of curiosity have you ever tried it with any consistency? Because especially for a bb'er whose body is so accustomed to taking in food at the same time every day your body will release certain hormones etc. in preparation for food because it always gets it at the same time. Once you fight through that process for a few days it really goes away. It's just a matter of breaking down that physiological response and that mental block that thinks "I have to eat". Granted, it's not for everyone, but those feelings and sensations do go away with practice. John Berardi at Precision Nutrition has a decent 5-part video seminar on IF here:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/in...asting-video-1
                      I'm curious as to how many successful bodybuilders you know that employ IF? Yes, IF may have it merits for certain individuals, but for those looking to pack on as much size as possible (or maintain tremendous amounts of muscle) I would think that it would be quite difficult to consume adequate kcals to hold on or increase size.

I'm just interested in hearing your experience with this and how effective it is with successful bodybuilders.
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                        I'm curious as to how many successful bodybuilders you know that employ IF? Yes, IF may have it merits for certain individuals, but for those looking to pack on as much size as possible (or maintain tremendous amounts of muscle) I would think that it would be quite difficult to consume adequate kcals to hold on or increase size.

I'm just interested in hearing your experience with this and how effective it is with successful bodybuilders.
                        I'm very much with Kris here. Would also be interested to hear of any potential BB utilising IF

Comment

Xjpx - We have similar training styles and I also tend to do better going with lower carbs during the day and pre-workout. I've just been able to hit it harder and don't feel like I am digesting anything or get any discomfort when training. I also have a strong affinity for keto diets and have always done well on them, so combining low carbs with proper peri-workout nutrition focused on growth and recovery has been the ticket for me at least. Not to mention, this has made it pretty easy for homon and I to diagnose any issues and make changes to keep on progressing.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post

I am no longer around the bodybuilding community very much other than what's discussed here. I can comment on what research says, but I can't comment on what bb'ers do. There is some research that suggests IF and Carb Backloading are not only good for body composition but also for growth. But, in terms of what bb'ers use it, I couldn't tell you...that doesn't mean no one does, I just don't know.

It seems like the poster is a competitive bb'er, but if you check out my original post I was trying to figure out what perspective he was coming from, the kind of workout he was referring to, and what his goals were as he didn't mention this in his original post and all this stuff would affect my stance.

Comment

I am no longer around the bodybuilding community very much other than what's discussed here. I can comment on what research says, but I can't comment on what bb'ers do. There is some research that suggests IF and Carb Backloading are not only good for body composition but also for growth. But, in terms of what bb'ers use it, I couldn't tell you...that doesn't mean no one does, I just don't know.

It seems like the poster is a competitive bb'er, but if you check out my original post I was trying to figure out what perspective he was coming from, the kind of workout he was referring to, and what his goals were as he didn't mention this in his original post and all this stuff would affect my stance.
                              Then perhaps a more appropriate thing to ask would have been what his goals were and get a feel of where he was coming from before trying to provide a solution.

At 280+lbs of solid beef, I think xjpx might find a little difficult to get adequate nutrition to grow in such a restricted timeframe... That would be A LOT of freaking food.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X