No announcement yet.

T-B Rows on a Smith Machine?... Yep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-B Rows on a Smith Machine?... Yep...

Using a CG Handle on the smith. I switch sides b/c the Smith is angled slightly. You have to be careful to keep the Smith hooks open and be ready for the bar to pull off to the side a bit. With and Angled smith like this one, I'd suggest caution in doing really heavy sets (e.g., 10RM or heavier), but a vertical smith works great for heavy training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YccvYe4cp-o

[YOUTUBE]YccvYe4cp-o[/YOUTUBE]

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Why?

Does this do something other t-bar rows don't? Is it simply an option if the only available tool is a smith machine?
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
      Why?

Does this do something other t-bar rows don't? Is it simply an option if the only available tool is a smith machine?
      Sometimes you gotta switch it up on kids

From the looks of it, it would keep you more parallel to the floor and emphasize the lower, mid part of the back. As opposed to regular T-bar rows where you're angled upwards and have a tendency to stand up straighter, which would hit more of the upper back.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
        Why?

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
        Sometimes you gotta switch it up on kids

From the looks of it, it would keep you more parallel to the floor and emphasize the lower, mid part of the back. As opposed to regular T-bar rows where you're angled upwards and have a tendency to stand up straighter, which would hit more of the upper back.
        Thank you, TRM.

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Different exercises require a different recruitment pattern in the more basic way that TRM mentioned (different areas of the prime movers), but also simply b/c the velocity of motion will be different, stabilizing musculature requirements different, relative loading on concentric vs. eccentric actions will vary, the movement is relatively more novel (which will tend to cause greater DOMS and fiber disruption), etc., etc., etc.

Weight training for the purpose of bodybuilding is operating within an framework of adaptation. A stimulus must generate a novel signal (and be supported nutritionally, etc.) in order to elicit greater adaptation (talkin' growth here). Novel can mean more weight, more reps with a given weight, less rest / recovery between sets, less recovery between workouts, etc. or, in a very basic way, simply by ADDING VARIETY to your training with novel exercises.

So, this might see kind of obvious when you read what I wrote above, but it seems like when someone asks, "Why?" (not trying to pick on you RB - that's kind of a funky exercise at first look) in the very basic general sense as far as using a new exercise, especially one that's basic in terms of being a compound movement that lends itself to heavy progressive overloading, the I think it's worth it to revisit the idea that it's just damn nice to have another basic core kind of lift in the tool box.

Now, if I were lying on my back doing inverted cross-cable rows with a 100lb dumbbell on my chest, I might think, "WTF?..." but I hope that those who try this exercise like it as much as I do.

(Major drawback is simply that most smith machines are not 100% vertical, which sucks in my opinion anyway, although I'm kind of used it now after using them for a couple decades... )

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I have an old school smith that's vertical so I'll try this out next back day. Looking forward to it, Dr.

Of course the (much welcomed) nerd talk below applies but, sometimes, you just have to come up with some new digs to keep the monotony out of the workouts

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

Weight training for the purpose of bodybuilding is operating within an framework of adaptation. A stimulus must generate a novel signal (and be supported nutritionally, etc.) in order to elicit greater adaptation (talkin' growth here). Novel can mean more weight, more reps with a given weight, less rest / recovery between sets, less recovery between workouts, etc. or, in a very basic way, simply by ADDING VARIETY to your training with novel exercises.

-S

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              Different exercises require a different recruitment pattern in the more basic way that TRM mentioned (different areas of the prime movers), but also simply b/c the velocity of motion will be different, stabilizing musculature requirements different, relative loading on concentric vs. eccentric actions will vary, the movement is relatively more novel (which will tend to cause greater DOMS and fiber disruption), etc., etc., etc.

So, this might see kind of obvious when you read what I wrote above, but it seems like when someone asks, "Why?" (not trying to pick on you RB - that's kind of a funky exercise at first look) in the very basic general sense as far as using a new exercise, especially one that's basic in terms of being a compound movement that lends itself to heavy progressive overloading, the I think it's worth it to revisit the idea that it's just damn nice to have another basic core kind of lift in the tool box.

Now, if I were lying on my back doing inverted cross-cable rows with a 100lb dumbbell on my chest, I might think, "WTF?..." but I hope that those who try this exercise like it as much as I do.

(Major drawback is simply that most smith machines are not 100% vertical, which sucks in my opinion anyway, although I'm kind of used it now after using them for a couple decades... )

-S
              LOL...I was just thinking "why not have one foot on a 45lb. plate and pull in the same line as the machine?" But then again that'll probably blow out a disc or something.

Ooooh...or hopefully the machine isn't bolted down and I can use shims to make it vertical...and then have management cancel my membership.
              Max Muscle
              5020 Katella Ave.
              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                LOL...I was just thinking "why not have one foot on a 45lb. plate and pull in the same line as the machine?" But then again that'll probably blow out a disc or something.

Ooooh...or hopefully the machine isn't bolted down and I can use shims to make it vertical...and then have management cancel my membership.
                LOL - I like the idea of propping the entire machine up on one end. Make sure to leave the plates all on the floor after you've unloaded the machine so you could prop it up...

It's not really that bad to be honest. (I was surprised actually.)

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Homon, on a more serious note...do you own shorts that are NOT "hot pants"?
                  Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                  Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                  Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                    No, I do not. I wear hot pants, hot skinz, hottie-to-trottie pantsie-wantsies and just plain old Daisy Dukes all year long, regardless of weather or occasion.

(Thanks for your input.)

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Homon,

Thanks for sharing-looks like a great exercise to add to the arsenal. Have you played around with 1 arm rows (similar to a db row) with the Smith ? Last week a guy was giving it a whirl in my gym so the idea has been in my head but I haven't had a chance to give it a shot yet.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                        Kind of like the fat chick bitching about the hot one, eh?
                        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                        www.316fit.com
                        Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dougisbig View Post
                          Homon,

Thanks for sharing-looks like a great exercise to add to the arsenal. Have you played around with 1 arm rows (similar to a db row) with the Smith ? Last week a guy was giving it a whirl in my gym so the idea has been in my head but I haven't had a chance to give it a shot yet.
                          I've dine those at home on my ironmaster a few times - I like 'em. It's been a while, but I found that I really had to find the right stane to feel comfortable and not like I was going to pull myself over sideways.

Originally posted by fade View Post
                          Kind of like the fat chick bitching about the hot one, eh?
                          Lol. (Rminded me of that Planet Fitness commercial. ."Sooooo hotttt...".

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                          X